Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen a Prime with blackout emblems? Are they a thing?

I have them on my 2019 XLE Hybrid, really don't like the silver on my Prime!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Plastidip or de-badge

·
Registered
136 Posts

Yup I was the first to plastidip my prime badges. I made a how to for people who have never done it before. (I had never done it before so it was a learning experience for me)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Getting the overlays this week. Will post pics when the car is done. I have done Plastidip emblems on other vehicles. If there is an OEM option I will definitely take it.

Part number is

PT9484221102

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hyperdip is a much better product than plastidip. First time every used it. Full disclosure the Toyota emblem was covered with the Toyota black emblem covering part. As you can see, I removed some of the OEM badging (too much IMO, in fact removed six altogether from the whole vehicle).

Here’s how my rear emblems (those that remain look afterwards.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Not great pictures, but I blacked out the chrome window trim with 3M 1080 black matte vinyl and then blacked out the emblems with DipYourCar (similar to Plastidip). I just am not a fan of the OEM black emblem add.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Fender Logo

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nice that we all have choices and make our R4V’s as we want. I personally hate cleaning out the dirt between the lettering — especially on the dirtiest part of our vehicles, e.g., the back . I followed hopes2’ lead in leaving the Prime badge on the rear as an alert to first responders (lots of electricity in these vehicles that they need to be aware of just in case).

·
Registered
215 Posts
I ended up not getting the black out emblems and will try another method.

Like others have said the ender emblem is poorly executed. This was at the dealer. One giant blob

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice that we all have choices and make our R4V’s as we want. I personally hate cleaning out the dirt between the lettering — especially on the dirtiest part of our vehicles, e.g., the back . I followed hopes2’ lead in leaving the Prime badge on the rear as an alert to first responders (lots of electricity in these vehicles that they need to be aware of just in case).
How did you black out the chrome roof/door edge trim on this white model? Was it difficult?

·
Registered
297 Posts
hyperdip at www.dipyourcar.Com Better than plastip, e.g., shinier, more a true black rather than a charcoal, and lastly because it it a different material composition, it provides “sharper edges,” valleys and three-dimensional differences.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE
53 Posts
I have them on mine. I like most of them but I don't like the plug in badge.
Do you know if these would be possible to remove? I know the blackout kits are sold on Toyota's website as a piece that fits over the silver badge with adhesive; not sure if it would be possible to pry them off without damaging the silver badges underneath. I'm picking up my R4P in a couple weeks, and the allocation the dealer got for me was almost exactly what I wanted except the blackout emblems. The sales rep wasn't able to remove the option in the system, but I was wondering if it might be possible to physically remove them myself post-delivery; I'm not terribly crazy about the way they look when blacked out, especially the "plug-in hybrid" one on the sides.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you know if these would be possible to remove? I know the blackout kits are sold on Toyota's website as a piece that fits over the silver badge with adhesive; not sure if it would be possible to pry them off without damaging the silver badges underneath. I'm picking up my R4P in a couple weeks, and the allocation the dealer got for me was almost exactly what I wanted except the blackout emblems. The sales rep wasn't able to remove the option in the system, but I was wondering if it might be possible to physically remove them myself post-delivery; I'm not terribly crazy about the way they look when blacked out, especially the "plug-in hybrid" one on the sides.
No you can't, the whole badge will come off. It happened to me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes you can definitely remove the emblems. I did it with my SE badge. You just need dental floss and rubbing alcohol. Floss will cut the sticky foam then rubbing alcohol or goo gone will clean the paint.

Im not sure why Jordan said you cant.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yes you can definitely remove the emblems. I did it with my SE badge. You just need dental floss and rubbing alcohol. Floss will cut the sticky foam then rubbing alcohol or goo gone will clean the paint.

Im not sure why Jordan said you cant.
I think the question was: can one remove the black emblem and go back to silver, the assumption being that the black emblems are "shells" that fit over the silver emblem.

·
Registered
2017 Prius Prime 2018 R4 Hybrid SE
55 Posts
How good does this Hyper Dip or Plastidip hold-up? Does it come off with automatic car wash, snow and ice? I see it is used for wheels, and curious how this stuff hold up in real world driving and environments. Does this need to be redone every year?

·
Registered
136 Posts
How good does this Hyper Dip or Plastidip hold-up? Does it come off with automatic car wash, snow and ice? I see it is used for wheels, and curious how this stuff hold up in real world driving and environments. Does this need to be redone every year?
It stays on fine. I live in upstate NY and not a single badge has flaked off.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts