Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I think the question was: can one remove the black emblem and go back to silver, the assumption being that the black emblems are "shells" that fit over the silver emblem.
You can remove the shells.
It’s just a piece of vacuum formed plastic and can be cut into quite easily. Use a pair of wire cutters to cut into the beveled edge. You can remove the flat sections with floss and then use a solvent to remove the glue residue.

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE
9 Posts
Not great pictures, but I blacked out the chrome window trim with 3M 1080 black matte vinyl and then blacked out the emblems with DipYourCar (similar to Plastidip). I just am not a fan of the OEM black emblem add.

View attachment 161196 . View attachment 161197
Did you do the rear toyota emblem too? I can't find any examples of the Hyperdip from DipYourCar (or plastidip) being used on the rear Toyota logo.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I like the idea of blacking out the partial-chrome trim on the upper parts of the windows (which looks really poor -- half chrome trim and half black trim from the factory). And the "Plug-in Hybrid" badging on both sides of the car, as well as "AWD" badges, are so unnecessary and look so tacky (do people really need to know that it's AWD, seriously, or that it's "Hybrid"?; I think it's better just to remove those four altogether. The simple black lettering "PHEV" would be so much better, to my mind. There's just way too much chrome lettering on cars in general these days. I like the idea of removing all chrome-colored trim on the front of the car and making that black.

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE
9 Posts
I'm hoping I answered my own question about the rear Toyota logo emblem. The guy at DipYourCar wasn't sure how the hyperdip would work on the logo, so I figured I'd rather not take the risk and go with the overlay. I will probably hyperdip the overlay before installing it so the color matches the other emblems. This link is for just the Toyota logo, so if anyone else tries this you don't have to buy the whole set:

Part # PT413-42200-02

I asked the Toyota dealership if this will work on the Prime and the guy said his system was telling him that it will work for any Rav4 2019+, and it specifically said it will work on the Prime. I'll post pictures of the finished product after it gets in and I find time to finish the hyperdip.

Edit: Nevermind. The guy at Toyota made a mistake. This link is for TRD emblem overlays only. No Toyota logo overlay. Damn it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for sharing the photos. My dealer is putting them on a silver Prime that I ordered, and I had mixed feelings. Your silver Prime looks good with them, and your photos helped me decide to not push too hard to delete it.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium package
38 Posts
I have a really cool plan for my rear badge. I’m waiting for better weather. (I live in NY) I’ll be posting a video on my YouTube channel when I do it.
Hey Jim, did you blackout the rear badge? I got my Prime and looking to do this. I just debadged all the emblems except for the front and rear Toyota one.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I heard the "why" question a lot from my kids when they were 4-5 yo, LOL. You can ask that about everything, pretty much. :ROFLMAO:
I installed the OEM blackout kit. I agree that the Plugin Hybrid emblem cover is a little bit of a big blob, not executed perfectly. But on a black or magnetic grey, it's ok IMO, as you won't see the badges much to begin with (which is the purpose of it, I guess).

·
Registered
215 Posts
I heard the "why" question a lot from my kids when they were 4-5 yo, LOL. You can ask that about everything, pretty much. :ROFLMAO:
I installed the OEM blackout kit. I agree that the Plugin Hybrid emblem cover is a little bit of a big blob, not executed perfectly. But on a black or magnetic grey, it's ok IMO, as you won't see the badges much to begin with (which is the purpose of it, I guess).
Why? 😀

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yup I was the first to plastidip my prime badges. I made a how to for people who have never done it before. (I had never done it before so it was a learning experience for me)
I'm late to the game (took delivery of my Prime last month), but was wondering how you got the red accent strip on the hybrid badge. I'm assuming it can pop off to be sprayed separately, but don't remember seeing that in the video.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was told there is a TSS sensor behind the front emblem on the Prime.Can anyone confirm this are we stuck with a chrome front emblem?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am probably in the minority because my goals are different than most but even contrary input can be useful at times.
The R4P we selected had the blackouts included. I certainly would not choose to pay $175 for it but it was that or wait another month for a car (after 5 months of waiting for this one) so we decided to go ahead. Our car is silver as well and after living with it for a few weeks I have decided I like the blackout. I prefer my vehicle not to stand out and get a lot of notice and while the blackouts are still readable you really have to look close if you want to read what they say (especially the plugin placard). I still would not choose to buy them for $175 given a choice but have decided that I prefer having the blackouts over the chrome and red standard emblems.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts