Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Prime same gas tank issue as Hybrid?!

880 Views 14 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  climbeverymt
When the low fuel light and warning text show up on our 2021 Prime’s dash screen 10.5 gallons is all it will take and that is with the attendent (in Oregon) topping it off. The HV miles remaining will be around 20 and the fuel gauge will show well less than ~1/8 tank. Until very recently I had imagined the tank capacity was 11 gallons but then I looked it up and was dismayed to see it was 14.5. When I filled up and topped off after taking the photo it took 10.48 gallons.
A month ago the dealer repair rep had me take photos of the dash info just before fillup (as in the attached photo), just after fillup and of the fuel receipt and text it to them. I got a “We’ll look into it”. Two weeks later I had heard nothing and as it was time for my next fillup I did the above again. The reply was to set up an appointment.
Went through the above again on the day of the appointment, yesterday. I came away very dissatisfied. They are saying that everything checked out fine, meaning the sensors. It was suggested that perhaps the cool weather was having an effect. It was 48 degrees. Zero, maybe 10, degrees and you might get a hint at buy in on that theory from me, but 48, no.
I am currently making a once a month round trip between Oregon and California. Road closures are a possibility in winter and I want to have as much range availble as possible in case say a landslide blocks the highway and I need to turn around out in the boonies. The dealer’s repair rep suggested I keep a journal with info such as my odometer when I fill up. I told them while I might do that my needing to do so was unacceptable.
I had by then learned of the lawsuit because of this sort of issue with the Rav4 Hybrid 19,20 & 21 model years and I mentioned it but was told the issue was only with the Hybrid, not the Prime.
Vehicle Speedometer Gauge Steering part Car

Bottom line is I just want my Prime, which otherwise I very much like, to have a fuel system that allows me to use around 90% of what is actually in the tank before it tells me, via the “Low Fuel!” indicator and lighted up gas pump icon that I need to refuel and when I soon do I have to shell out for 13.5-14 gallons of fuel not 10.5. Has anyone else had this issue with a Prime?
Vehicle Speedometer Gauge Steering part Car

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
618 Posts
When the low fuel light and warning text show up on our 2021 Prime’s dash screen 10.5 gallons is all it will take and that is with the attendent (in Oregon) topping it off. The HV miles remaining will be around 20 and the fuel gauge will show well less than ~1/8 tank. Until very recently I had imagined the tank capacity was 11 gallons but then I looked it up and was dismayed to see it was 14.5. When I filled up and topped off after taking the photo it took 10.48 gallons.
A month ago the dealer repair rep had me take photos of the dash info just before fillup (as in the attached photo), just after fillup and of the fuel receipt and text it to them. I got a “We’ll look into it”. Two weeks later I had heard nothing and as it was time for my next fillup I did the above again. The reply was to set up an appointment.
Went through the above again on the day of the appointment, yesterday. I came away very dissatisfied. They are saying that everything checked out fine, meaning the sensors. It was suggested that perhaps the cool weather was having an effect. It was 48 degrees. Zero, maybe 10, degrees and you might get a hint at buy in on that theory from me, but 48, no.
I am currently making a once a month round trip between Oregon and California. Road closures are a possibility in winter and I want to have as much range availble as possible in case say a landslide blocks the highway and I need to turn around out in the boonies. The dealer’s repair rep suggested I keep a journal with info such as my odometer when I fill up. I told them while I might do that my needing to do so was unacceptable.
I had by then learned of the lawsuit because of this sort of issue with the Rav4 Hybrid 19,20 & 21 model years and I mentioned it but was told the issue was only with the Hybrid, not the Prime. View attachment 191425
Bottom line is I just want my Prime, which otherwise I very much like, to have a fuel system that allows me to use around 90% of what is actually in the tank before it tells me, via the “Low Fuel!” indicator and lighted up gas pump icon that I need to refuel and when I soon do I have to shell out for 13.5-14 gallons of fuel not 10.5. Has anyone else had this issue with a Prime? View attachment 191425

There is a boatload of previous discussion on the forum regarding this issue. Do a search and read it and you will learn a lot. Bottom line is your vehicle is performing as designed by Toyota. Difference between the hybrid issue and Prime is the hybrid tank couldn’t be filled without topping off repeatedly. The Prime tank can be filled easily enough, but Toyota has established a large buffer between reality and actual empty on the electronics. Toyota doesn’t want us to run the tank dry so it has the gauges start screaming “empty” when there are still several gallons left. The dealer is either playing dumb to get rid of you or is just ignorant of the reality.

· Registered
2023 Rav4 XSE WP
46 Posts
My 2022 Jeep Gladiator has a similar issue. Maybe Toyota and FCA use the same software. I just ignore it, fill up when needed. I doesn't seem that Toyota or FCA will fix it. As for the lawsuit, I assume no Rav4 Prime owner has brought one - yet.

· Registered
2023 Rav4 XSE WP
46 Posts
There is a boatload of previous discussion on the forum regarding this issue. Do a search and read it and you will learn a lot. Bottom line is your vehicle is performing as designed by Toyota. Difference between the hybrid issue and Prime is the hybrid tank couldn’t be filled without topping off repeatedly. The Prime tank can be filled easily enough, but Toyota has established a large buffer between reality and actual empty on the electronics. Toyota doesn’t want us to run the tank dry so it has the gauges start screaming “empty” when there are still several gallons left. The dealer is either playing dumb to get rid of you or is just ignorant of the reality.
The only upside I could see, if you can call it that, is that Prime drivers that stay on electric a lot and don't use the ICE the ethanol in the tank can oxidize (rust) the system, so filling it with fresher gas when the light comes on can eliminate that. It seems like a silly or stupid way to do that though. Conversely, you could argue that leaving so much gas in the tank each time would exacerbate that issue. I guess it's just laziness on Toyota's part, like not producing many Rav4 Primes to begin with even though they could make a bundle. It's difficult to figure what corporate is thinking, to use "thinking" loosely.

· Registered
2022 RAV4 prime XSE with premium package; 2008 FJ Cruisers 4WD
45 Posts
I don't think this is an issue. the fuel pump is in the gas tank, need gas to cool it down, that requires about 4 gallon.
if you keep on use up that gas and go fill, the fuel pump will die soon.

· Registered
2022 RAV4 prime XSE with premium package; 2008 FJ Cruisers 4WD
45 Posts
Yeah, then the tank capacity should be described accurately, if in fact the “usable” portion is 3+ gallons less.
You can use that 3 gallons if it is urgent, but cannot do that every time. So give you a tank size and remind you to add gas at 10 gallon I don't see problems.

· Registered
618 Posts
You can use that 3 gallons if it is urgent, but cannot do that every time. So give you a tank size and remind you to add gas at 10 gallon I don't see problems.
I’ve not had a “problem” with filling up sooner, just hate the games companies like Toyota play with their customers. Somehow they can’t be upfront and transparent as lying or misrepresenting facts has no repercussions. Look at me, I bought the vehicle anyway. Even VW with dieselgate didn’t pay much of a price and if not caught nothing would have changed.

· Registered
15 Posts
Do people not know what a reserve is? Every car has at least 1+ gallon once the fuel light comes on.

The RAV4 has a bigger reserve. That's all. There is absolutely no issue here. Toyota doesn't want idiots running out of gas and damaging their vehicles

· Registered
2022 R4P XSE
177 Posts
With 12,000 miles on my 2022, I am aware of the rather large reserve in the tank. I was coming home on a road trip yesterday, my HV miles remaining went to zero 45 miles from home. I still had 33 EV miles remaining. I drove the remaining 45 miles in HV then filled up. It still only took 10.5 gallons. I did stop at the first "click" of the gas pump so as to not overfill. To me, that's "just the way it is"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts