Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know how you folks feel about this but I find the current running Toyota commercial to be in amazingly bad judgement. Depicts Police chasing a Prius occupied by guys that robed a bank. I know, I know...supposed to be humorous, showing virtues of the new model Prius. Seems to me many other scenarios could have been used rather than humoring a police chase, criminal behavior and depicting police in mocking way. Not what I would expect from Toyota!!!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
As far as how it paints police, lighten up. The Keystone Cops were a funny and enjoyable act.
Likewise the Blues Brothers, Naked Gun, Police Academy... The performing arts have always been filled with imagery of "bumbling" cops.
Even those who gave an overall positive impression such as Andy Griffith still had their Barney Fife.

The whole premise of the commercial is that nobody at the station believes what the guys in the field are telling them about the Prius.
It might be dark humor to a degree, but it's hardly glorifying crime... it is simply trying to show the Prius as a completely new car.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Yeah, that advert made me think that maybe Toyota should get a different ad agency. I don't care for ads which don't speak well for police, even if there was no apparent intention to do so. Police often catch too much flack as it is. But a number of other companies' car adverts get to me as well - lots of speeding and even racing through congested areas even if only computer generated, vehicles doing donuts on skid pads or in other places, etc. None of those are relevant for most prospective buyers. The ads I like are those which focus on technological and engineering features, but those ads are rare.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I liked the new ad the first time I saw it. Very original.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I liked the new ad the first time I saw it. Very original.
Original???? Guess bank robbery, reckless driving endangerment, police evasion, law enforcement mockery are your measure of originality. Unbelievable. To each his own.

Certainly understand this was meant to be humous, just feel many other add scenarios could have depicted the new Prius virtues. Just very bad judgement, my opinion. Great cars, great company, great value, stupid marketing in this instance.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What does this post have to do with Rav4s? Just Curious...
Comment is obviously about Toyota, not Rav4's only. Since this Forum is place where Toyota owners read and place comments, I just felt it was worth discussion.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree- there must be other sites for people hyper-sensitive about television commercials...

Hypersensitive no. I think just decent judgement, maybe to much to expect these days.

I get the point from other comments...this thread should be posted at Prius forum. I just floated the comment here because its where I instinctively go to seeing as I drive a Rav4. Thanks for the comment...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
are you kidding me?....what's next?...cant make movies that show anything in a negative light?...it's a freaking funny commercial!!!...
and the sequel is even funnier lol....

https://youtu.be/BGNahDImVhs
hope you dont object to the criminals being made fun of...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
are you kidding me?....what's next?...cant make movies that show anything in a negative light?...it's a freaking funny commercial!!!...

Your analogy totally misses the point...humor and satire are totally part of depicting things meant to evoke reaction, enjoyable reaction, depending upon the satire. Negative satire part of the game, no issue with that at all, we see it all the time, when well done is thought provoking and entertaining in its own way.

So Toyota selling their car's think bank robbery, reckless driving endangerment, police evasion, law enforcement mockery are their measure of originality and good judgement I simply disagree, everyone has their own opinion. Guess you're more in line with their target audience.

Look, I love good jokes, good satire, especially appreciate creative stuff thats humorous, I apologize if coming across stogy and inflexible. Quite the opposite. Just at some point we must put aside that "humorous" explanation and say this is wrong message. I know, keeping balance is the trick. I think Toyota totally misses this, should never have done this.

Thanks for taking time to comment, thats what democracy is about...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Aside from attaching any moral values, one of the main goals of advertising is for the audience to simply remember the commercial, the brand. It certainly succeeds there. The commercial wins if is memorable and ultimately attracts prospective buyers.

The pure tongue-in-cheek nerdy bandit drivers helps reel in the moral outrage of a crime being committed. Leaving a bag of loot to pay for the 'stolen' car is a funny touch. And the Prius is shown in a totally different light, as though maybe it now has a sporty side, a bit of street cred. Those are some high quality driving stunts and maneuvers. A Prius can do that?

Also, the ability to outlast other cars brings in fuel endurance as a performance factor without being in your face about it. So I guess I like the ad on several levels--and even find myself not fast-forwarding through it on the DVR, lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts

I had not seen the sequel until now, thanks. I just view both as silly ass fun commercials poking fun at many things...including the Prius. It is an entertaining commercial nothing more & nothing less in my book. More than half the time I don't even know what the product is on the commercial. This ad sticks to your ribs like it or not. It works.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Your analogy totally misses the point...humor and satire are totally part of depicting things meant to evoke reaction, enjoyable reaction, depending upon the satire. Negative satire part of the game, no issue with that at all, we see it all the time, when well done is thought provoking and entertaining in its own way.

So Toyota selling their car's think bank robbery, reckless driving endangerment, police evasion, law enforcement mockery are their measure of originality and good judgement I simply disagree, everyone has their own opinion. Guess you're more in line with their target audience.

Look, I love good jokes, good satire, especially appreciate creative stuff thats humorous, I apologize if coming across stogy and inflexible. Quite the opposite. Just at some point we must put aside that "humorous" explanation and say this is wrong message. I know, keeping balance is the trick. I think Toyota totally misses this, should never have done this.

Thanks for taking time to comment, that's what democracy is about...
commercials are generally fantasy and most people don't take what they say at face value...i don't think that Toyota for a second is advocating any illegal or immoral activity...i view the commercial as a way to make people laugh...you can find it offensive if you want, but my question is where does it end?...what subject matter is allowed to be made fun of and what is not?...will we have to not have Santa in commercials because Santa can't really deliver that many gifts in one night and therefore toyota would be perpetuating a lie?...these things are fiction and if anyone looks at a work of fiction and guides their actions on that then they are loony...anywho...i hope you watched the second commercial i posted and if you did I'm sure you will make a post praising Toyota for fighting back against the bad guys...
Maybe a law should be passed that requires all commercials to simply state the facts of the item advertised...these facts would be checked by government overseers and given the governments stamp of approval...we can take humor, sex, love, and all that other nasty stuff right off the airwaves...maybe, just maybe our society can finally not offend ANYONE...party on Garth!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts