Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally found a RAV4 but I'm a little concerned at the price: Certified Pre-Owned 2012 Sport V6 w/31,000 miles for $16,295.

My concern is kbb.com says the car should be at least $21,000. Why would a dealership price it so low? Is there horrible things wrong with this specific year/model/engine? I know the 5spd trans. makes a whining noise but isn't necessarily going bad.

Any advice would be great. And please excuse me if I posted this in the wrong place. If I did I'll delete it and repost in the appropriate forum.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
Sounds like a great deal, but f you have suspicions about the supposedly low price you could ask the dealer, but they might not provide a straight answer. If you can get the VIN you can check with Carfax and also register with www.toyotaowners.com, and services and recalls and any repairs which have been done by Toyota dealers will be available. Also it would be worthwhile to have a trusted auto mechanic check over the RAV. By 2012 Toyota should have ironed out any problems with that model, which began production in 2006, and 2012 was the last year for the 4.3 model. There seems to have been few problems reported on this forum with the 2012 model year, but you can do a search (Search box at top right of forum page) about the 2012 year RAV. If the vehicle is OK you will enjoy the power of the V6!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
What dealer and where?.....go over the body and look for signs of it being repainted.....a dealer car repair and repaint it and it still be certified......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm immediately going onto Toyota Owners Official Web Site and checking the car out. And I won't buy anything without a good once-over and a decent test drive. After a little Google research I have a feeling this dealership (Toyota Universe in Little Falls, NJ) likes to list their cars a cheaper than bluebook but make that money back in astronomical dealership fees. I look at a Certified 2013 LE w/32,000 miles on it last week that they had. They listed it at $17,987, it was bluebooked for $19,597, and the final cost they showed me after all the fees was $23,999. $6,000+ in dealership fees seems a little much to me. But, I don't have much experience buying cars.

Thanks for the help again everyone. I have a feeling this forum is going to be a lifesaver throughout my RAV4 life.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm immediately going onto Toyota Owners Official Web Site and checking the car out. And I won't buy anything without a good once-over and a decent test drive. After a little Google research I have a feeling this dealership (Toyota Universe in Little Falls, NJ) likes to list their cars a cheaper than bluebook but make that money back in astronomical dealership fees. I look at a Certified 2013 LE w/32,000 miles on it last week that they had. They listed it at $17,987, it was bluebooked for $19,597, and the final cost they showed me after all the fees was $23,999. $6,000+ in dealership fees seems a little much to me. But, I don't have much experience buying cars.

Thanks for the help again everyone. I have a feeling this forum is going to be a lifesaver throughout my RAV4 life.
6000 dollars in dealership fees???? I'd love to see a list of these fees!
My opinion would be to stay far, far away from having anything to do with a place like that. Remember the old adage...if something sounds too good to be true...well, you know the rest.
:serious

·
Registered
207 Posts
I strongly agree with all the suggestions. Though I've not used that dealership I know where it's located. As a NJ native it's my (unfounded) opinion that car lots on Rt. 46 are sketchy, thus the high fees. Whether you get this RAV or another, you will absolutely love the V6.

·
Registered
17 Posts

SBWRX5,

I am also looking for Rav 4 (2012 limited) in NJ area. If you know any NJ dealer good buying experience, please share with me.

My dad bought his Venza from DCH Toyota Brunswick or Freehold. They give him a lot of accessories (window tint, carpet, deflector and mud guard) and truecar.com base model selling price. I don't know how's the buying experience because it was handle by my uncle and his buddies (all of them are NYC car service driver. maybe they have better relationship with the dealer?)

I bought 2 cars from NJ before (Honda and Mazda). Both of them are not honest dealer. The H car dealer actual selling price is $1,500 more expensive than they listed online. The reason is because they add sunroof deflector and stupid thin stripe paint around the doors.

(if someone can tell me why stripe paint is useful. Please let me know. These are thin stripe from front fender, front door, rear door and rear fender)

The M dealer has good price, but they shady remove one of the remote key fob when handing me the keys.

So far, I didn't have happy experience with NJ dealer. Maybe because I am cheap and I stand still like a rock when I refuse finance manager option selling.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
6000 dollars in dealership fees???? I'd love to see a list of these fees!
My opinion would be to stay far, far away from having anything to do with a place like that. Remember the old adage...if something sounds too good to be true...well, you know the rest.
:serious

What are these dealership "fees?" - fees added by the dealer to the sticker price? I've bought a number of vehicles in my 70+ years and never have seen or experienced that sort of practice, and wouldn't buy a vehicle from a dealer who engaged such apparent price gouging.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah beginning to feel the same way about Rt. 46 dealerships. I'm thinking of hopping the border to Pennsylvania. Probably way cheaper and bit more honest. I have 20 RAV's on the list to look at so we'll see.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I purchased my '11 V6 Ltd. from Towne Toyota in Ledgewood, NJ. They're on Rt. 10 just off Rt. 80. The price was good and they've been good since with service, e.g., I had the whining transmission replaced, and parts (I also have an '06 Tundra). Ask for Zeke. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome. I was looking at a few there, too. Thanks mlrav! And I don't know if you get any credit for suggesting people go there or not but if you do, PM me you name and I'll tell them you sent me. I know some dealerships give a credit for recommending people.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I never thought about getting credit for recommending the dealership. I doubt I'd do that. I can't get my head around that. It's too commercial for me. I just recommended Towne and the salesman because it worked out well for me. Maybe it will work out for you too. Maybe not. I hope your search goes well. Good luck. Just remember to get a V6 wherever you buy it. Then drive it like 'ya stole it.>:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally bought one yesterday evening. CPO 2010 RAV4 Limited V6 from DCH Toyota in North Brunswick, NJ. Nice car. Nice guys. Decent deal. Buying at 7pm on the last day of the month didn't hurt either. Drove it home with no problem. But, started her up for work this morning and I have the CEL, 4WD and Slip Indicator light staying on. This should be interesting. Looks like my morning will be research on the forum.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Finally bought one yesterday evening. CPO 2010 RAV4 Limited V6 from DCH Toyota in North Brunswick, NJ. Nice car. Nice guys. Decent deal. Buying at 7pm on the last day of the month didn't hurt either. Drove it home with no problem. But, started her up for work this morning and I have the CEL, 4WD and Slip Indicator light staying on. This should be interesting. Looks like my morning will be research on the forum.
LOL, that's a bummer of a way to start out! Time to find out how good your dealer is.:serious

·
Super Moderator
11,586 Posts
Could be as simple as a dying battery. The V-6 does some wacky $hit with less than a perfect battery.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts