Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well I got gas on the way home. And with my research here I know that a loose gas cap can cause that. My hope is that it's that. I'm going to give it a couple days and see if it goes away if not I will be back with a vengeance!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Checked the code, P0456. Guessed gas cap. Reset the ECU. Light went away. 5 days later, light back on. Awesome. To the dealer Saturday to give them an (respectable) ear-full. My plan is to make a stink about it being a CPO car which shouldn't have these problems as per Toyota CPO Program specifications.

I feel that technically this shouldn't have been a CPO car with these problems (another one I didn't mention was a relatively bad brake grinding from front driver-side wheel. Toyota CPO specifications is for the brakes to be at least 50% pad.) But since it was CPO, it needs to meet the CPO standards promptly and at no cost to me.

I've even been proactive about it and queried the sales manager about return policies. That really got things moving.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Why make a stink?

Maybe stink isn't the word I should have gone for. But I am going to voice my opinion. I find people are more willing to help and work with you if you're calm and voice your opinion in a smart and well structured manner.

My thinking on this is that I bought a CPO car with the expectation of that car meeting the full Toyota CPO standards. A product was advertised with certain features and specifications and the product I bought didn't meet what was advertised. Like any other product either fix it for free to meet the as advertised specifications or give me my money back. The fact that the CEL went off less that twelve hours after I bought the car, and when I reset the ECU and it took five days for it to come back on, kinda makes me feel like they knew it was on and simply reset it so the car could get sold and now the new owner has to deal with it. Just seems shady to me. Or just my paranoia kicking in.

I don't trust car salesman though (no offense if anyone here is a car salesman). If their salary wasn't commission-based there would probably be a lot more honesty in the sale and purchase of a car.

·
Super Moderator
11,327 Posts
Why make a stink?

Maybe stink isn't the word I should have gone for. But I am going to voice my opinion. I find people are more willing to help and work with you if you're calm and voice your opinion in a smart and well structured manner.

The fact that the CEL went off less that twelve hours after I bought the car, and when I reset the ECU and it took five days for it to come back on, kinda makes me feel like they knew it was on and simply reset it so the car could get sold and now the new owner has to deal with it. Just seems shady to me. Or just my paranoia kicking in.
IMO the only mistake you made was resetting the ECU. And you need not voice any opinion at all. Just take it back and say, "Call me when it's fixed."

Saying they knew of the issue is pure conjecture with no way to prove anything. But that's probably what I'd think too, and years ago I'd have raised the issue and gotten nowhere except in a stink. Now I'd save my blood pressure and simply ask them to fix it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought CPO 2011 Rav4 limited from NJ 2 weeks ago. The CD player already give me error message 3 in 10 days, I bought the Platinum Warranty till 8 years 100K miles. Let's hope they will fix it fast. Appointment already made. It is really crazy that you have to bring car back within 2 weeks.

I have a feeling CPO standards vary dealership to dealership. That's why you see some dealership are offering very competitive price because they know something wrong on the car. You can tell they already planned to use Toyota Warranty to cover the repair costs, so technically the dealership has nothing to lose when selling unqualified CPO. I already have that mind set when I purchased the CPO car + platinum warranty. I just hope this is not a junk that required monthly repairs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
IMO the only mistake you made was resetting the ECU. And you need not voice any opinion at all. Just take it back and say, "Call me when it's fixed."

Saying they knew of the issue is pure conjecture with no way to prove anything. But that's probably what I'd think too, and years ago I'd have raised the issue and gotten nowhere except in a stink. Now I'd save my blood pressure and simply ask them to fix it.
You're right. I am probably just getting myself worked up over somethings they'll fix without an issue. And me thinking they knew of the problem before hand is indeed pure conjecture and I have no real basis to make that statement beside my paranoia and distrust in dealerships.

And I couldn't help but reset the ECU when I thought it was just a gas cap. I just seemed like an easy fix if the cap was indeed the problem and one less thing to bring to the dealership.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I bought CPO 2011 Rav4 limited from NJ 2 weeks ago. The CD player already give me error message 3 in 10 days, I bought the Platinum Warranty till 8 years 100K miles. Let's hope they will fix it fast. Appointment already made. It is really crazy that you have to bring car back within 2 weeks.

I have a feeling CPO standards vary dealership to dealership. That's why you see some dealership are offering very competitive price because they know something wrong on the car. You can tell they already planned to use Toyota Warranty to cover the repair costs, so technically the dealership has nothing to lose when selling unqualified CPO. I already have that mind set when I purchased the CPO car + platinum warranty. I just hope this is not a junk that required monthly repairs.
I wouldn't think CPO standards would vary dealership to dealership but perhaps you're right. My assumption and expectation when buying CPO is that the car meets the specified CPO standards according to Toyota Certified Program. If that car doesn't meet those standards then it shouldn't be CPO'd or if it was and sold as CPO and problems arise that shouldn't have existed because of the CPO standards then that car should be fixed off warranty with no $50 deductible required from the buyer.

It's like buying any other product. If you bought an Xbox One with builtin wifi and the wifi adapter doesn't work you ship it back to Microsoft and they either fix it or send you a new one with no cost to you but the time and inconvenience.

I'm pretty sure fixing something with the warranty requires and $50 deductible so my other conspiracy theory is that they sell a CPO car with problems and fix it under warranty just to get the extra $50. But, again, pure speculation with no real evidence to back it up. It's just hard for me to believe that problems that happen almost immediately after you buy the car were never seen before from the dealership. A CEL that pops on after having the car for 12 hours never happened before? Seems highly unlikely. But, indeed possible.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I wouldn't think CPO standards would vary dealership to dealership but perhaps you're right. My assumption and expectation when buying CPO is that the car meets the specified CPO standards according to Toyota Certified Program. If that car doesn't meet those standards then it shouldn't be CPO'd or if it was and sold as CPO and problems arise that shouldn't have existed because of the CPO standards then that car should be fixed off warranty with no $50 deductible required from the buyer.

It's like buying any other product. If you bought an Xbox One with builtin wifi and the wifi adapter doesn't work you ship it back to Microsoft and they either fix it or send you a new one with no cost to you but the time and inconvenience.

I'm pretty sure fixing something with the warranty requires and $50 deductible so my other conspiracy theory is that they sell a CPO car with problems and fix it under warranty just to get the extra $50. But, again, pure speculation with no real evidence to back it up. It's just hard for me to believe that problems that happen almost immediately after you buy the car were never seen before from the dealership. A CEL that pops on after having the car for 12 hours never happened before? Seems highly unlikely. But, indeed possible.
All the paperwork I received with my CPO came directly from Toyota. Nothing to do with the dealer.
I agree that a CEL a day after taking delivery is suspicious, But like Dr Dyno said, you should have just taken it back rather than reset the light.
By the way, I went through the Toyota/gas cap/CEL routine years ago on my Camry. Replaced the cap with a new one(from Toyota)and the light went away in a day or so by itself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
All the paperwork I received with my CPO came directly from Toyota. Nothing to do with the dealer.
I agree that a CEL a day after taking delivery is suspicious, But like Dr Dyno said, you should have just taken it back rather than reset the light.
By the way, I went through the Toyota/gas cap/CEL routine years ago on my Camry. Replaced the cap with a new one(from Toyota)and the light went away in a day or so by itself.
I hoping it's just the gas cap just so I don't have to hangout at the dealer for too long. I'm assuming they have a machine to check the gas cap like at an inspection station so, fingers crossed.

I am also regretting resetting the ECU. Until the warranty is up I'll just take it right in from now on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure bout Sport model.

Leftover 2015's around here are going for close to 21K,is that doable?They are selling like hotcakes in Tulsa,mine had to be brought in from another state.You can get rebates and full warranty then.Here if you are a veteran and use Toyota to finance you get $500,$200 more if you shop online.But you have to get voucher signed BEFORE you make a deal,I am very upset that a salesman got me before I got mine signed.That is B.S. you can only get the voucher by shopping online,that is what ticks me off looking back at Fowler Toyota.Plus you have to sign up with your info to print the voucher,I hope I never buy another vehicle and have to put up with such nonsense.If I wreck it and need another vehicle that stupid little coupon will send me to Jim Norton Toyota.They are closer anyway.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts