Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RAV4 driven into garage last night with 240 mile on it.

This AM started up and drove 100 yards and got:

Check Engine Warning
VSC Warning
4WD Warning

I never engaged 4wd lock and repeated trys to disengage it (if was even locked at all) failed in every forward gear , reverse and neutral.

Have appointment with dealer at 9:00 AM on Monday.

Anyone had a similar experience or advance preview of what I may be dealing with?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3 Warning Lights caused (if you can believe the ones that go on) by an evaporation leak around an after market locking gas cap.

Just torqued cap tighter (now there is no way my wife can refill the gas tank)...solved one problem and created another.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
It may be a problem with your emission system or a valve or sensor may have gone bad. This is a common problem in earlier 4runner due to the EGR valve. I believe that the RAV4's gas cap is one click only, its pretty hard to mess that up, but I would check it anyways.

J

·
0 Posts
I just had a similar problem. Warning lights for VSC, ABS, 4WD, Brake came on. I got it to the dealer, but the lights did not come back on when vehicle was restarted (they did not come back on that day). OBD did not show any codes. Next day same thing, went to dealer, this time left car running the 20 minutes until they opened. OBD showed left rear ABS speed sensor was not happy. Dealer did more diagnostics (which apparently showed nothing) and called Toyota Tech Line. They told them to reset the lights. I'm picking up the Rav today.

C

·
0 Posts
three lights VSC ABS & Brake light on

1000 miles and 3 lights came on the VSC ABS & Brake light. We were on our first trip and close to the dealership where we bought it so we stopped at the service dept.
They tested it and said it is safe to drive even though the lights are still on. We had to make a appointment . So July 5th we will know for sure what happened.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Had similar problem with the 3 lights. Turned out to be an emission problem with catalytic converter. Service manager explained to me all 3 lights come on whenever engine service light comes on. Seems kind of a stupid Toyota thing to me.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
possibly to get your attention??

TomT said:
Had similar problem with the 3 lights. Turned out to be an emission problem with catalytic converter. Service manager explained to me all 3 lights come on whenever engine service light comes on. Seems kind of a stupid Toyota thing to me.

·
Registered
656 Posts
LOL. Does Toyota think all its owners are suffering from ADD?

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
flyingn said:
How many times have you seen people driving with their turn signals on for MILES??
One thing I've found is that the audio click accompanying my turn signal indicators is noticably quiter than on my previous '02 RAV4.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
What click!!! I have yet to hear mine!!! I haven't checked it out yet, but louder flasher units are available, dunno if one is available for the R4, but I swear I gotta find one, I've caught myself too many times with my signal still on long after a turn and a less than 90 degree turn won't cancel the signal which compounds the problem. :roll:

Tim

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Quickdtoo said:
What click!!! I have yet to hear mine!!! I haven't checked it out yet, but louder flasher units are available, dunno if one is available for the R4, but I swear I gotta find one, I've caught myself too many times with my signal still on long after a turn and a less than 90 degree turn won't cancel the signal which compounds the problem. :roll:
Tim
I'm not alone! My wife usually hears it before I do and reminds me :roll:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
All you have to do is keep your dog in the front seat after you have disconnected the seat belt warning buzzer and train the dog to hear the turn signal beep..

Of course you need to train your dog to distinquish between the front end clunk and the turn signal beep.

You also need to train the dog to look for the "3 warning Lights at Once" problems(bark three times here), bark once if it smells antifreeze and whine when the tranny hesitates.

Also needs to learn to cover it's eyes when those on the forum with V6 engines feel the need for speed and blast past you in under 6 seconds on their way to 100+ MPG :thumbs_up:

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
summerwind said:
All you have to do is keep your dog in the front seat after you have disconnected the seat belt warning buzzer and train the dog to hear the turn signal beep..

Of course you need to train your dog to distinquish between the front end clunk and the turn signal beep.

You also need to train the dog to look for the "3 warning Lights at Once" problems(bark three times here), bark once if it smells antifreeze and whine when the tranny hesitates.

Also needs to learn to cover it's eyes when those on the forum with V6 engines feel the need for speed and blast past you in under 6 seconds on their way to 100+ MPG :thumbs_up:
We have a winner! Funniest post since I've joined this forum and come to think of it, it puts pretty much everything on this forum in its proper perspective! :lol:

N

·
0 Posts
It certainly creates a picture in your mind, doesn't it? haha haha

Bravo!!! :lol:

N

·
0 Posts
Doggie Goggles

I've seen them at PetSmart, but ironically, they didn't have sincle pair that fit me!! And, my Beagle hated hers!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts