Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are planning to have a hitch and wiring installed at U Haul, beware. The hitch installed just fine and looks good. The problem is with the wiring harness, I drove it home and I had several lights on on my dash,,,the Brake light, ABS light and I think the VSC light (i'm not sure of the abreviations) AND my cruise control didn't work. I called them this morning and they installed the wiring harness that the book recommended, the installer called tech support for verification and sure enough, the book was wrong on the new 2006 Rav's. I took it in this morning and he installed the correct harness and now everything works fine. I was fit to be tied as you could immagine, i only have 1800 miles on my new Barcelona Red limited 4x4 and It is my pride and joy. I think I would suggest to go to the Toyota dealer and have anotherone installed if anyone wants my advice. I feel better now that I have warned you all. Happy trails !!!! 8)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: Problem to avaoid with hitch wiring

I am still not believing the tow prep package does not include a pigtail at the rear of the vehicle to plug in to.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wiring harness

McSwine,
I can't believe that the vehicle isn't wired for a hitch either, this day and age when the advanced technology, and intricate electronics, i sure don't want a mechanic cutting into my precious wiring to rob power from my system. did the previous 4.1 and 4.2 rav's have this issue? I am flabergast to think they would do this year after year. Otherwise, it is a fanatastic automobile.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Digitalhearing, How much did you pay for the hitch, harness and install? Does the receipt have part numbers? My local U-Haul said it was too soon for a new model to have their hitch, but then again I don't think the guy was the sharpest tool in the box.

I was considering the Hidden Hitch kit and fixing it myself, but right now the car is waiting for wheelbearing/hub parts.

Thanks

John

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
U haul hitch

mcvitie70,
I don't think I have the hitch part # but I do remember that the price was aproximately $145 for the hitch and another $ 150 which included the wiring harness and labor. I would reccomend checking with another u haul rep because my guy was able to order the hitch without any questions asked, it is upgraded this year with a 3500lb capacity. They messed up on the first wiring harness and I had to take it back so they credited me $50. I ended up paying $245 complete for the job. It wasn't a "factory" toyota install but the savings would urge me to do it again. I hope this helps. Take Care, Grant

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
When UHaul did the harness did they just tie into the tail ights or run a harness from under the dash like the Toyota version/

And yes I cannot belive the Tow Prep Package is an "almost tow prep package"!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts