Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I discovered a serious concern with the stereo. It does not eject my SONY Supremas data/music CD-Rs. I had to use tweezers to get the disc out. It only partially comes out, but just barely enough to grab witrh a needle nose or tweezers, and sometimes it doesn't come out at all and the mechanics work overtime trying to eject the CD-R out which really sounds like it's hard on the mechanics). I got an error on the screen and at one point the disc player stopped working altogether until I worked the CD-R out manually by inserting another CD-R in and out to sort of "loosen" the one which was stuck inside, which worked - but I do not endorse this yourself unless you're confident as it may cause damage, I don't know, but I do know that I couldn't turn the player off, or anything and it kept trying to eject and I thought for sure it was going to break.

So, I purchased a different brand CD-R, FujiFilm and when I tried a blank one it loaded and ejected normally. Whew!

I would recoommend not using SONY brand (which is my preferred brand) CD-Rs and if you do try that brand please post here to state your experience with it.

In a positive note, I am feeling a bit better about the sound of the standard system, I am getting used to it. Also, I spoke with a Toyota dealer service person and was told that the JBL system is the same system as in the standard but with a few extra speakers for surround sound. Not sure if that is accurate or not (that doesn't seem right to me, but that's what I was told), but I asked about this and the cost to go to the JBL system is $1,600 which is way too much to upgrade to.

J.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Whew, glad you were able to get it out. I'm going to guess that the Sony didn't have any homemade labels on it, yes? If it did, then that's what's getting it stuck. I believe the printable CDs also shouldn't be used in the disc changer.

So far, I'm trying to use up my HP ones and there's been not problem.

BTW, I tried your settings on the stereo (base -3, treble +1/+2?) and it was a bit too tinny for me. So I started to play around with the settings and playing different kind of music to them and found base -2, treble 0, ASL (sp?) Med works pretty nicely. It got rid of the heavy boom but still enough base and balance to the treble. Thanks!

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi - OK, thanks for the post, good to know what CD-Rs work and what don't.

As for the audio settings, I agree that the treble has to be adjusted to a lower setting most of the time, it's very tinny like you say. I find I have to adjust it for different music.

J.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Maybe the Sony disks are a tiny bit thinner then the others?

the JBL system also included a 440 watt amp too.

Whats funny is how different people hear differently . I think the best sound is
Base +5 (max)
mid +2
treble +5 (max)

asl on

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
flyingn - do you have a mid setting? My unit does not. Having the ability to adjust the mid would greatly improve the sound.

The SONY discs must be thinner I guess. I've not had a problem with them with anything else and I've probably used well over 500 of them. Oh well.

- J.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
flyingn - no, I do not have the JBL system. :( - J.

·
Registered
654 Posts
unRAVelled said:
The SONY discs must be thinner I guess. I've not had a problem with them with anything else and I've probably used well over 500 of them. Oh well.

- J.
Have you used the Sony CDs in other disc changers? It could be due to the stacking of the CDs. I can see where thinner ones can also cause a problem. I don't recall what they are called (it's all listed in the owner's manual) but those opaque ones don't work either.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Puttputt - yeah, I saw that in the manual that there are some restrictions on the type of discs. I didn't consider this brand and style to fall in any of those categories, but there must be a slight dimension deviation from a "normal" disc size.

Incidentally, while the discs had a hard time ejecting, they did play fine once loaded.

J.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
unRAVelled said:
Puttputt - yeah, I saw that in the manual that there are some restrictions on the type of discs. I didn't consider this brand and style to fall in any of those categories, but there must be a slight dimension deviation from a "normal" disc size.

Incidentally, while the discs had a hard time ejecting, they did play fine once loaded.

J.
I use a variety of disks including Sony, TDK, Memorex, Imation, HP, and Fuji. so far so good. I have the JBL system and I have a variety of disks in the changer. I would never use disks that have the paper labels on them.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just for the record the 6 disc unit that comes with the base model. Not the JBL upgrade unit that has the mid level control but the standard unit is actually made by JBL as well. I know this because I just had to get my entire stereo replaced today because it was having serious problems of the audio dropping out every 30 seconds and on the invoice I had to sign at the dealer it said JBL next to it. The part number on the front of the unit itself is 11812 (I think) without me having to walk out there and look at it.
And on the subject of cd-r's I use a ton of different brands and so far have not had any problems. I'm wondering if these stereo's just aren't pieces of crap....look at mine, it already had to be replaced by a new one.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't had any trouble with the CD-Rs that I am using. I have burned both Imation and Verbatim.

I like the sound the system gives me...and, I even don't mind the vibration in the doors from the speakers! LOL!

The Verbatim CD-Rs that I am using are pretty cool! They are a vinyl design color-coded. They remind me of the old 45s I used to have back in the regular stereo days (yes, I'm showing my age now!).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts