Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a pioneer deh-p4800mp today and installed it right away. The unit powered on and played flawlessly. However when i turned the engine on i noticed that there was a high pitched squealing coming from the speakers. I turned the volume down but the squealing remained. I revved the engine and the pitch of it went up even higher. The only difference i have from my last cd player is that i have a second rca line running along with the first one to my amplifier. Does anyone know what might be causeing the squealing or how i should go about getting rid of it?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what kind of a filter? where does it go? what i dont get it why it would be doing this at all, because it never made this noise with my old setup.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Could be your wires are too close to each other causing interference...depending on the quality of the cables, they may not be shielded enough which can cause outside noise if there are other cables running beside them... also where is the antenna wire, is it running parallel to those wires?? that may also cause interference... another possibility could be a bad ground....

Just my .02 cents...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just make sure that the ground wire is thick enough and that it is grounded good.
Then make sure no other wires cross the ground wire so nothing can interfere with the ground wire.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as for my ground, i grounded it to the stock location, but i did use a new wiring harness, should i try using my old one? that one never had a problem. thanks for the replies

·
Registered
779 Posts
I bet you have sporty spark plug wires installed. If so, this is why you are hearing the noise.

Once again people, STICK TO STOCK! Denso aftermarket rules!

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually my plug wires are stock, but i fixed it, just ran speakers off the player. besides how would spark plug wires cause squealing to come from the speakers?? thanks anyway

·
Registered
779 Posts
Oh, sorry :doh: . Got mixed up thinking it must have been when the radio was on. But for reference:

Radio noise can be broken down into two distinct categories; Radio Frequency and Supply Line. I thought you had the first but you must have had the second.

Radio Frequency noise is generated by the secondary side of the ignition (coil wires, cap, rotor, spark plug wires). This noise is radiated into the air and picked up by the antenna. This noise will be noticeable on the AM band and will be louder between stations. The FM band may also be affected slightly. If you play a tape or CD, the noise will go away. Maintaining the secondary side of the ignition system is important in eliminating radio frequency noise.

Supply Line noise is caused by varying loads of the vehicle’s supply voltage. These variances are amplified through the stereo’s 12 volt supply wire and are heard through the speakers. Supply line noise will be audible on AM and FM as well as during tapes or CDs.

Most OEM wires use a carbon fiber as this produces minimal RF noise. The down side of carbon fibers is high resistance and thus reduced spark energy. Solid (sporty) wires have very low resistance, but typically produce unacceptable amounts of RF interference, frequently causing interference. Some wires use a solid metal core that is helically wound to minimize this.

But keep those stock wires importtuner!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Another way to stop interference is to only ever cross wires at a 90 degree angle - I know this isnt always possible but NEVER run your power cable for your amplifiers alongside you RCA cables......

·
Registered
759 Posts
I just installed a panasonic headunit with an amp powering two 6x9 speakers behind the back seat. I ran the RCA cables in the middle of the car because originally I had the power to the amp on the right side and the RCA on the left, but had interference. Turns out I still have interference, and its really annoying. When I turn the car on, the speakers make a horrible noise, and when I put on the signals, brake, anything. Will getting better RCA cables fix this problem?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Better RCA cables should fix the problem as long as you have looked after the engine power side of things as mentioned above...

You should invest in some grounded RCA cables......

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
ok everyone to fix the problem
1. you need to run the ground cable to a good location
2.you need to run the hot wire separate from the rca cables as much as posiible.
3.try to keep the ground cable as closed to the amp as possible.
4a noise filter should help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts