Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else read the 2006 Rav4 problems section on Edmunds forum? Complaints about brake fade, throttle hesitation and downshifting problems? Has anyone experienced these problems?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heh... i just read 15 pages of discussions on edmunds and people are quite happy with their rav4's there...

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you read the section:
Toyota RAV4 2006+: Problems & Solutions

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would not call it trottle hesitation rather the trottle is pretty touchy. It feels like that you need to pass a certain threshold before it takes off. Once you reached this point everything goes pretty fast.

I noticed a difference between my wifes Audi. The problem with the RAV4 is that it is loaded and once you kick down the pedal it just wants to go. The Audi is more forgiving because the car is heavy and the engine just less powerfull (even it is a V6 too). Every car with less horsepower is more forgiving in this case, manual or automatic. I still get used to the Rav4s automatic though.

Than there was a discussion about taking off from around 35 miles. I noticed, that the RAV4 is trying to go low rpm and that is fine with this powerful engine. But around the 35 mph point it tries to stay in the current gear when you accelerate. When you try harder it downshifts and that just takes a little time. I learn that you either hit the pedal when you need lots of speed or you take it easy on the pedal and it pulls nicely away, but even not that fast.

I assume that the automatic is getting used to my driving style and I am to the automatic. I normally drive stick.

·
Registered
363 Posts
None of those are problems,

Brake Fade = People not used to the way it down shifts.

Throttle Hesitation = New "drive by wire" throttle, people need to get used to it.

Downshift problems = That is the way it is programmed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I haven't noticed these issues either, but I remember when I got my Sienna last year, there was quite the discussion on throttle hesitation. Toyota eventually addressed it with a TSB. Could be a programming issue. Most likely it doesn't quite match what people are used to with their older, not so relient on new fly-by-wire and assorted electronics cars.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Raffor said:
I would not call it trottle hesitation rather the trottle is pretty touchy. It feels like that you need to pass a certain threshold before it takes off. Once you reached this point everything goes pretty fast.

I noticed a difference between my wifes Audi. The problem with the RAV4 is that it is loaded and once you kick down the pedal it just wants to go. The Audi is more forgiving because the car is heavy and the engine just less powerfull (even it is a V6 too). Every car with less horsepower is more forgiving in this case, manual or automatic. I still get used to the Rav4s automatic though.

Than there was a discussion about taking off from around 35 miles. I noticed, that the RAV4 is trying to go low rpm and that is fine with this powerful engine. But around the 35 mph point it tries to stay in the current gear when you accelerate. When you try harder it downshifts and that just takes a little time. I learn that you either hit the pedal when you need lots of speed or you take it easy on the pedal and it pulls nicely away, but even not that fast.

I assume that the automatic is getting used to my driving style and I am to the automatic. I normally drive stick.
Good post. I would add that -- gee whiz! -- it may be impossible to engineer a throttle system which EVERYBODY likes just perfectly. It's also important to remember that, while the RAV V6 is powerful and pretty fast, it's NOT a race car. In my very FIRST test drive of the V6, I found the throttle a tad too jumpy -- I was shocked at how fast it was right off (because I hit the throttle like I would on most cars), but I quickly learned to just take it easy from a full stop, unless I WANTED to really move out fast. Basically, I'm a semi-conservative driver who likes the extra power and acceleration when I need it. So, I've learned to step on it easy from a stop. And, while cruising, only RARELY do I find that the engine/transmission response doesn't serve me well, and even then it's only mildly annoying. At least half the annoyance, in my case, is that I'm used to a manual tranny, and can put it in any gear I want in a brief moment, without waiting for an auto tranny to "figure out" what I'm trying to do. We give that up in an automatic, and you DON'T even get that kind of control in a sequential transmission. So, by manual tranny standards, this will never quite measure up, but I still love the car, so... so be it. It is what it is. I certainly wouldn't call this a "problem."

·
Registered
249 Posts
Issues like these are why I ask people participating my reliability research to report every trip to the shop and also report, for each trip, whether something was actually fixed or the dealer said it wasn't an issue. These sound like the sort of issues for which there is no fix. I'll calculate results both ways.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What should I write? That I lost feeling in my right foot? :lol:

When you have so much power under your foot, you need to control it! There is absolutely nothing wrong with the car but that it is powerful. Love these rocket starts without wheel slip with only half pressed gas pedal.

I see it more like learning a new musical instrument. These things do not play by themselves. Same here: new car + more power = needs training.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven´t had any of those problems and my rav4 2006 already has 8000 miles , and i use it a lot on bussiness trips i´m always on the road and it runs great

Lou 8)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No problems here whatsoever....1000miles already and it's still a perfect mechanical marvel. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Now that you mention it, the throttle is strangely sensitive. Feels like the spring is too tight, so you give it extra pressure just to get it moving. 9 times out of 10, the pressure is too much and the vehicle lurches. You can get used to it, but it takes practice.

I don't agree with those who say it's a result of 'all that power'. We had a G35 for three years and that had a bit more power than the Rav4. The throttle was very smooth and it was easy to drive it slow without jerking the car around. And the 'well Infiniti is more expensive car' doesn't hold any water. My Rav4 is only $900 less than the Infiniti.

That last point leaves something to be desired. There are several very well engineered cars out there in the low $30K. As quick and versital the Rav4 is, it doesn't hold a candle in terms of materials, features and general asthetics. All weekend I've switched from getting in the Rav4 Sport and our Saab 9-3 Aero. Night and day difference, yet the lease payments are exactly the same. Again, if I was paying $23 for the Rav is one thing, but when it gets over $30K you start to wonder what your getting for your money.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
antirich said:
Now that you mention it, the throttle is strangely sensitive. Feels like the spring is too tight, so you give it extra pressure just to get it moving. 9 times out of 10, the pressure is too much and the vehicle lurches. You can get used to it, but it takes practice.

I don't agree with those who say it's a result of 'all that power'. We had a G35 for three years and that had a bit more power than the RAV4. The throttle was very smooth and it was easy to drive it slow without jerking the car around. And the 'well Infiniti is more expensive car' doesn't hold any water. My RAV4 is only $900 less than the Infiniti.

That last point leaves something to be desired. There are several very well engineered cars out there in the low $30K. As quick and versital the RAV4 is, it doesn't hold a candle in terms of materials, features and general asthetics. All weekend I've switched from getting in the RAV4 Sport and our Saab 9-3 Aero. Night and day difference, yet the lease payments are exactly the same. Again, if I was paying $23 for the RAV is one thing, but when it gets over $30K you start to wonder what your getting for your money.
Saab 9-3 Aero? :). If you dont need space of an SUV, or 4x4 drive, why the heck get one? You just pay more for something that you do not need.

I like jumpy throttle - it gives impression of speed, unlike before when they tuned drive by wire to give an delay before reacting. You just get used to it, as you would to brakes which are now much touchier than in cars 5-6 years ago.

It simply gives you power immediatly when you want it...

·
Registered
75 Posts
The G Man said:
antirich, you cant compare the RAV4 to sports sadens. To be fair, you need to compare the RAV4 to other SUVs.
Sorry, but there's very little difference now a days with small SUVs and sedans. Look at the X3 and the new Acura mini SUV, all based on car chassis. Take alook under a 4-runner or Xterra, the diffeence is night and day.

The throttle sensitivity has nothing to do with what size the frame is. I can't even say it's a weight issue with the RAV, for it's so flippin light. Overall it just seems like a bad design considering how strong the power comes on. I should be able to slowly accerate in a parking lot without jerking the passengers arround, which is very difficult to do without concentrating. Even my dealer was a big frightened by it when he dropped it off. Yes, you can get used to it, but it should be designed better.

I wonder if it's the same throttle control from the 4cyl? If so, that could be the problem. The 4 cyl. isn't goning to lanch the vehicle at 2500 rpm like the V6 does.

>>"Saab 9-3 Aero? :). If you dont need space of an SUV, or 4x4 drive, why the heck get one? You just pay more for something that you do not need. "

My wife drives the Saab. As nice of a car as it is, you don't want to be stacking bags of mulch in the back seats. Plus, i tow my race bike long distances along with a few hundred pounds of equipment and tools. No way that's fitting in the Saab. The Rav was a replacement to my 99 4-Runner. Gas millage and highway comfort were the driving factors for that purchase.

·
Registered
264 Posts
There will be whiners everywhere, including Edmunds. It appears that many drivers can't modulate gas pedals very well, especially the new "drive by wire" throttles. How many times have I seen idiots speeding along on the road and can't judge the distance of the car in front of them or can't look past the car in front of them and constantly hit the gas/ hit the brakes/ hit the gas/hit the brakes, ad nauseam. These same people wonder why their brake pads wear out at 10k miles. :roll:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts