Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle - 2015 RAV4

Subject - Program an "H" type transponder chip key.

After insertion of the factory key, into the ignition switch, 5 times and leaving the factory key in on the 5th sequence, and then opening and closing the passanger door 6 times, and then pulling out the factory key, and inserting the new key, the red security light is suppose to go solid, and when the light goes out the new key is programed.

the red security light would not go solid which would indicate that the vehicle is in program mode. Instead the security light kept flashing, but should have went solid according to the info i have.

Than you for any help in this matter.

John

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
You need TECHSTREAM to program the key.

You need a cable like this. You can also find them on Amazon or Walmart

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply @2011RAV4.

I actually got two keys when i bought the 2015 Toyota two years ago. It had 14,000 miles. I ruined one of my keys doing an experiment. I sent away for the chip key, and had it cut, but as was mentioned, i could not get into the program mode. so, I cut out the transponder from my mechanically damaged factory key, not an easy job because they have the transponder epoxyed into the key base. It had to be dugout and cutout of the plastic key case.

Next. I had to remove the transponder from my new key, so I could put the factory transponder in the factory key. Keep in mind that i was unable to program the new so i just chopped it out to install the

It took patience to cut outvthose transponders

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, unable to edit my errors in context. I hope what i wrote is understandable.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If you need any additional keys then get Techstream.

It's a good program that can give you lots of info.

It's a lite version of what the Toyota dealers use

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi 2011rav4

Yes, now I have a working second key once again.

You can remove a programed transponder chip from a key, and put it in another key, but the chip is very hard to remove because it is epoxyed in place. You really have to hack it out and not damage it if you want to reglue or epoxy it in a mechanically healthy key, as I have done. You have to use a razor knife and shave off the plastic surrounding the chip until it will fit in the other key. You also have to ream out the plastic in the key base you are going to put the programed chip, so that it will fit.

What version of the techstream should i buy?
Will the software work on my smart phone?

John

·
Registered
330 Posts
For 2015 RAV4, it is very easy to register a new key (2019 and above is a totally different story.) I registered 2 keys for my wife's 2018 RAV4. The following is for Camry but same procedure for your 2015 RAV4:

If you do not want to invest in TechStream, you can locate an automobile locksmith to do it, which should be cheaper than Toyota dealers. Those open/close door methods might be for very old cars if it works.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The software comes with the cable. The cable hooks up to the USB port and your obd2 port on the Rav.It needs to be installed on a windows laptop.

I put a link in one of my posts above so you can see what the Mini vci cable looks like

Some people have an old laptop hanging around and use that.

The only difference in versions is it adds model years.
So v13 or up will work for your car. It also works on Lexus cars to

If you have any problems when you get it come here for help.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi 2011rav4

Thank you so much for the info. Right know i have two keys for my rav, but i am seriously thinking about purchasing the Techstream software and cable, that you suggested.

Thank you

John

·
Registered
203 Posts
The key in and out, door open and close "dance" worked on Toyota vehicles up until their redesigns on or around the 2010 model year. Each vehicle had a different date, but when the bus system was upgraded, the security systems were greatly enhanced. Dealer-level security software (professional locksmith or Toyota Techstream) became a requirement to add keys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts