Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are videos on YouTube that show how to program the immobilizer key by the following sequence:
Start with doors closed
Insert/remove a good key in ignition 5 times
Insert key 6th time and leave key in ignition
Open/close doors 6 times
Remove key. Security light should come on and stays lit
Insert new key. Security light starts blinking
After about 60 seconds light goes out. Key is programmed.

I tried this sequence on my 2007 and 2009 RAV4s. Nothing. The videos I've found were for Scions and Siennas.

Should this work on the RAV4? Or is there another dance for this?

The fob programming sequence shown for the Scions and Siennas worked on the 2009. (Didn't try the 2007).

Start with driver door open.
Insert/remove key twice
Close/Open door twice
Insert key, close door
turn key to "On", but don't start car. Turn back to off, remove key

At this point, if you did it right, the locks will cycle.
On the NEW fob you're trying to program, push lock and unlock AT THE SAME TIME. Hold for two seconds, then release. Press lock button for about 3 seconds. Door locks will cycle. You're done.

Like I said, this worked on my 2009 RAV4.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too am curious about this. I did the same sequence as you and I was able to program the key to unlock the car but it will not start it. I may have a trip to a locksmith in my near future.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the immobilizer key to Lowes who programmed it with their machine for $5. (Yes, programmed the chip, not just cut the key.) That's the good news. The bad news is that it still won't start the car. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
They might have just programmed the buttons, not the actual immobilizer chip.
How could they have programmed the immobilizer without the car being there to register the new key?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They might have just programmed the buttons, not the actual immobilizer chip.
How could they have programmed the immobilizer without the car being there to register the new key?
The car was there and they had a functioning chip key to work from. It really was the immobilizer chip they programmed. I already had the remote working.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Did they, at any point, put the new key into the RAV during the programming process?
If it is supposed to work, then tell them to make it work.

Also, is the original functioning chip key a valet key or a master key?

·
Registered
91 Posts
FYI guys, there is a new aftermarket key system hitting the stores that allows them ON SOME CARS read the RFID chip in the keyhead and write it onto a duplicate key, my 13 highlander was not on the list last time I looked

Very similar to the cloning of TPMS sensors that is going on

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did they, at any point, put the new key into the RAV during the programming process?
If it is supposed to work, then tell them to make it work.

Also, is the original functioning chip key a valet key or a master key?
I think you may have hit on it. I've read a little farther and apparently you can't clone from a valet key. Since the RAV4 doesn't even have a trunk, it didn't occur to me the "spare" key was a valet key. And it never dawned on me that you couldn't clone from the "spare". I just thought Toyota or maybe the dealer just didn't want to spring for the remote on the extra key.

As to "tell them to make it work", perhaps you didn't notice the part that the guy a Lowes cut and programmed the key for $5, on a key I bought on eBay and brought into the store. Had it been the dealer who wanted to almost $300 just for the key/remote plus labor for programming, or even the independent locksmith who would sell me a key and program it for "only" $200, you can be damn sure I'd go back and tell him to make it work. But the guy who, over the phone, said "just bring it in, buddy, and I can do it for $5"? No, I'll go back and tell him that I gave him the valet key because I didn't know it would be any different and give him a heads up to be on the lookout for valet keys in the future, and then offer another $5 to program it from the correct key this time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
as part of the deal when I got my 2016 Rav4 XLE, I got an additional key with the car, but I didn't want the one with the remote, I just needed a basic key.

I got it, a regular Toyota RFID key, no remote, and programmed to the ECM.

If you can figure out the key blank, and the system the immobilizer uses ( Texas Instruments system ?) then you can get a basic key. It MIGHT be this one :
89785-0d170 toyota OEM, or this one (aftermarket) http://www.keynet.com/toyota-standard-transponder-key-h-chip-non-valet-89785-0d170-non-logo/

Programming and Cloning Automotive Transponder-Equipped Keys, Remotes and Fobs

·
Registered
268 Posts
In Ilco's new 2016 directory, they show cloning for 2006-2010 Rav4's.

There are other manufacturer's who may have cloning capability for later model cars, too. The issue is finding a locksmith who has the right equipment for your car.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
I think you may have hit on it. I've read a little farther and apparently you can't clone from a valet key. Since the RAV4 doesn't even have a trunk, it didn't occur to me the "spare" key was a valet key. And it never dawned on me that you couldn't clone from the "spare". I just thought Toyota or maybe the dealer just didn't want to spring for the remote on the extra key.

As to "tell them to make it work", perhaps you didn't notice the part that the guy a Lowes cut and programmed the key for $5, on a key I bought on eBay and brought into the store. Had it been the dealer who wanted to almost $300 just for the key/remote plus labor for programming, or even the independent locksmith who would sell me a key and program it for "only" $200, you can be damn sure I'd go back and tell him to make it work. But the guy who, over the phone, said "just bring it in, buddy, and I can do it for $5"? No, I'll go back and tell him that I gave him the valet key because I didn't know it would be any different and give him a heads up to be on the lookout for valet keys in the future, and then offer another $5 to program it from the correct key this time.
Sounds like a plan. Great if you have a master key.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts