Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're about to get a new 2016 Hybrid/limited/tech RAV4
The car we're handing in is a 2010 HS250h.
One thing I loved about that car is my credit card key fob.
Never had to carry keys, if I had my license, I had my car keys.

I'd love to do the same with the new RAV4.
It seems this key fob works with pretty much any late model Lexus and I'm thinking if it's that generic, should work with late model Toyota as well.

Anyone have any experience with key fobs and possibly this situation?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by a "credit card key fob". Is it just a key for opening the door? I'm pretty sure a Lexus blank can be cut for that purpose on the 2016's.

Your new Toyota will have keyless ignition, and the fob is much too thick to be kept in a credit card case.

It is highly unlikely that your 2010 fob can be programmed into the new 2016. I'm sure there have been changes in the 6 year period between cars.

·
Registered
268 Posts
OMG I WANT ONE OF THOSE!!!

My dream is be able to put my license, credit card, a $20, and my car key in a card holder on the back of my phone case.

Now that's what I would call freedom.

Volvo is working on a phone app to unlock your car. I could go for that too.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by a "credit card key fob". Is it just a key for opening the door? I'm pretty sure a Lexus blank can be cut for that purpose on the 2016's.
The common ones are simply plastic key blanks. No chip. Doors only. I don't know about a keyless version. How would they include the chip? Surgery?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ok, like the others, I'm a Toyota guy and never saw those Lexus credit card keys. I'm jealous, too. :frown

I still feel that a 2010 will not program into a 2016. The keys have changed, going from a dot on the blank to a G and maybe more. So, I would guess the electronics for Lexus has, too.

If you look at those eBay listings, they are for specific years and models.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a bit more to it than that.
Contains a very very thin battery and acts just like a normal key fob, just missing the buttons.
I walk up to the car, door unlocks, and just push the button to start.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The year range is all over the place, I think the key (ha, get it, key!) is the FCC code of the key fob.
89994-48142 - Genuine Lexus TRANSMITTER, ELECTRI
They show this fitting 2010-2016 of Lexus cars.

We need to find someone working at a dealer to bite the bullet and try to get one of these beasties programmed on a recent RAV4.
(I'm not sure how far back the current gen fob goes back, will have to research that) Those here could post their FCC ID for their fobs too.

·
Registered
449 Posts
My brother's friend in S E Asia bought a new BMW 535I. He have to buy a Apple IPhone to operate all functions in the car including doors, start, stop and alarm setting. I didn't pay too much attention to it. Seems the Iphone is all he need to carry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts