Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Eveyone,

I just purchased a 2002 Rav4 with 109k miles on it! (4wd) I'm happy to be driving something new to me!

I'd love to get keyless entry working, so i purchased two keyfobs from ebay for that model.. 25 bucks for two fobs, sounds like a deal.

Anyways, I have tried the instructions for this model and I can't for the life of me get it into programming mode! :frown

Does anyone know if you have to have the factory key for this or just a normal spare in the ignition that I always use to start with, or perhaps there is a fuse somewhere that needs to be replaced that's inhibiting this from working correctly? I'm out of ideas..

Whenever I try the key in and ouf ignition and sequence of opening and closing doors so many times as indiciated in instructions, it never makes it to the part when the doors are supposed to lock and unlock on their own to indicate that programming mode has begun.

ANY advice on this is super helpful. The manufacturer who sold me the keys gave me the instructions for that model, and will take returns, but i'd rather just program that dang fob!

THANKS!!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts
If you have the base model, I'm not sure keyless entry was a standard feature in 2002. Somebody more familiar with the 4.2 generation will correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: According to this site, the keyless entry was a $230 option on the base model:

http://www.cars.com/toyota/rav4/2002/standard-equipment

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How can i tell if the one I have is the base model? It definitely has some paid extras on that list such as power mirrors. I think the guy I bought it from said the clicker was lost?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts
How can i tell if the one I have is the base model? It definitely has some paid extras on that list such as power mirrors. I think the guy I bought it from said the clicker was lost?
I think the Sport model had a hood scoop and an S on the back. The Limited had an L on the back. The base had nothing. But the base models often had a "value pack" or "convenience pack" of options available. Another possibility is the previous owner had an aftermarket alarm system installed, and that's the clicker he was talking about.

To be absolutely sure, you can go the parts counter at any Toyota dealer and give them the VIN. They can then print out the build list showing every option the car was delivered with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts