Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left work today to find that a rock or some other debris has bounced up from the freeway sometime this morning during my commute to work and has chipped/penetrated the glass lens, leaving a hole about the size of a BB.
- Does anyone have any recommendation on how to temporarily seal this hole off to keep moisture out? I thought about clear tape, but we're experiencing daily temperatures around 100-104 for the next ten days, so I'm not quite sure if adhesive tape would withstand those temps.
-Is there anyone out there who has upgraded to QUALITY aftermarket projector headlamps? I figured if I have to replace them, why not try to upgrade too. I have either 5000 or 6000K xenons in the OEM housings right now. Much improved, but it would be nice to find some good projectors for these bulbs, as these original housings are aimed fairly low.

·
Registered
10,765 Posts
I left work today to find that a rock or some other debris has bounced up from the freeway sometime this morning during my commute to work and has chipped/penetrated the glass lens, leaving a hole about the size of a BB.
- Does anyone have any recommendation on how to temporarily seal this hole off to keep moisture out? I thought about clear tape, but we're experiencing daily temperatures around 100-104 for the next ten days, so I'm not quite sure if adhesive tape would withstand those temps.
-Is there anyone out there who has upgraded to QUALITY aftermarket projector headlamps? I figured if I have to replace them, why not try to upgrade too. I have either 5000 or 6000K xenons in the OEM housings right now. Much improved, but it would be nice to find some good projectors for these bulbs, as these original housings are aimed fairly low.
This might help

Advanced Search[from]=&price[to]=&make=Toyota&v_model=RAV4&year=1998

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
DEPO is the most popular projector-type headlight replacement I've seen over here:
http://www.depoautolamp.com/asp/pdf/P_TY_VV_12.pdf
I'm pretty sure their lens is plastic in order to conform to contemporary regulations about safety so, unlike the OEM glass ones, could be prone to fading overtime.

Also, the projector bulb is of a different type (H7) to yours, so you would have to modify your HID kit to account for that.

·
Registered
10,765 Posts
DEPO is the most popular projector-type headlight replacement I've seen over here:
http://www.depoautolamp.com/asp/pdf/P_TY_VV_12.pdf
I'm pretty sure their lens is plastic in order to conform to contemporary regulations about safety so, unlike the OEM glass ones, could be prone to fading overtime.

Also, the projector bulb is of a different type (H7) to yours, so you would have to modify your HID kit to account for that.

Very true, mine are DEPO. But you have to check your box when it comes in the mail. Don't let no one accept or sign the box for you. Mine sounded like a "maraca". Looks like in the mail the Viet Nam veterans that were shipping/handling my box, were all smokin a peace pipe. There was glass all over the place. Had to wait an extra three weeks for delivery.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very true, mine are DEPO. But you have to check your box when it comes in the mail. Don't let no one accept or sign the box for you. Mine sounded like a "maraca". Looks like in the mail the Viet Nam veterans that were shipping/handling my box, were all smokin a peace pipe. There was glass all over the place. Had to wait an extra three weeks for delivery.

So was your headlamp lens actual glass like the OEM? That was actually my next question. Also, how do you like the beam pattern compared to the OEM pattern? I will have to do some research to find what company I got these xenons from, because I do remember one of the bigger selling points for me was the fact that if I ever change bulb types, they would do so with only the cost of shipping. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
10,765 Posts
So was your headlamp lens actual glass like the OEM? That was actually my next question. Also, how do you like the beam pattern compared to the OEM pattern? I will have to do some research to find what company I got these xenons from, because I do remember one of the bigger selling points for me was the fact that if I ever change bulb types, they would do so with only the cost of shipping. :thumbs_up:

Yes, its glass. But the cool part is that the OEM after some years they turn yellowish, not these. I also have a HID kit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, its glass. But the cool part is that the OEM after some years they turn yellowish, not these. I also have a HID kit.
Nice. I think I am going to go with these DEPOT's. Especially after checking out the shot of yours from your cardomain page. They don't look too "aftermarket-ish", which I like. Do you think you can get a shot of them on at night? If they have a good beam pattern, or at least similar/better than OEM, I'll order them today.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for those pics. I just placed an order! Can't wait to see them installed...and hopefully they arrive safely lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.