Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the new Rav4 Hybrid, and am wondering if the A/C will run on the battery without the engine running (assuming the battery is well charged). Like the Prius does. ie when the car is stopped but on, the A/C works, and the engine only kicks in to charge as needed?

If so this would be a nice feature for me, since I end up sitting in my car between a lot for work, currently often with the engine running just to run the A/C.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Currently 90 degrees outside here. While waiting for wife I noticed that the AC does run off the battery, however I am not sure how long that will go before the engine kicks in to charge the battery. Have a few more trips today so I'll make sure to take a look.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I am considering the new Rav4 Hybrid, and am wondering if the A/C will run on the battery without the engine running (assuming the battery is well charged). Like the Prius does. ie when the car is stopped but on, the A/C works, and the engine only kicks in to charge as needed?

If so this would be a nice feature for me, since I end up sitting in my car between a lot for work, currently often with the engine running just to run the A/C.
Its a variable speed electric compressor, not unlike what's in the newer energy efficient refrigerators. It can provide max cooling at any speed, (or no speed.)
IT does drain the traction battery pretty quick if the HVAC system is running at max, but once the cabin is cool it uses very little energy. The heater actually uses more energy (in the form of gas) to make heat in the winter.
Anyhow, the system offers "auto" HVAC control, which when combined with the "ECO" driving mode will mitigate the energy drain on the system.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Anyhow, the system offers "auto" HVAC control, which when combined with the "ECO" driving mode will mitigate the energy drain on the system.
Is there a way to set the HVAC to the "eco" mode without the rest of the car in "eco" mode?

·
Registered
67 Posts
As already mentioned the AC Compressor is electric, run by a 3 Phase AC motor and not attached to the engine with a belt.
I was sitting in the car the other day waiting for my wife in a store and I had the AC, and music on and everything was just as if the engine was running but it was not. The wait was only 15 minutes and the engine started and turned off 2 times, running very briefly. I don't know about an ECO Mode only for the AC, but the car was, and usually is in ECO Mode anyway.
The electric AC Compressor is a great feature of this vehicle and if you spend time in your car parked and use the AC you're going to really appreciate it, not to mention save a lot of running time on the engine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You will love it. It is a very smart and impressive car and I am sure a lot of the Prius knowledge was transferred to this car. Used AC yesterday for the first time and yes, it runs on battery.

Amazing, just very smart car, you can do everything you used to do with a "regular" car and don't even have to worry about anything, and on top of it, your mpg is sitting around 36.

We are blown away. I guess it is easy to do since this is our first hybrid.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I could not agree more. I have been nothing but impressed with this car since we purchased it. So much so I am willing to part ways with my daily commuter for the past 8 years. I have a long commute and at first I did not want to add all of the miles to the RAV, but it's just been a joy to drive.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Its a variable speed electric compressor, not unlike what's in the newer energy efficient refrigerators. It can provide max cooling at any speed, (or no speed.)
IT does drain the traction battery pretty quick if the HVAC system is running at max, but once the cabin is cool it uses very little energy. The heater actually uses more energy (in the form of gas) to make heat in the winter.
So it's better to keep the Auto on when possible? What circumstances will preclude Auto from engaging, besides demisting the windows during winter time? Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for this incredibly helpful info. Am literally going to make a buy/don't buy decision on my next vehicle (most likely either the RAV4 hybrid or used Prius V) based on the ability to stealth camp in the vehicle, in lieu of pricey hotel accommodations, and have the climate control hear or cool the cabin automatically as I sleep, with minimal fuel consumption by the gas engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for this incredibly helpful info. Am literally going to make a buy/don't buy decision on my next vehicle (most likely either the RAV4 hybrid or used Prius V) based on the ability to stealth camp in the vehicle, in lieu of pricey hotel accommodations, and have the climate control hear or cool the cabin automatically as I sleep, with minimal fuel consumption by the gas engine.
The AC system is amazing, can be running full power while stopped in a heatwave, really like that system.
The heat on the other hand I do not like. It is purely engine coolant based and will run the engine to keep it warm.
I think even cars like the plugin Prius suffer from the same design, I can plug my car in to get enough charge to get to/from work but if it's winter it'll run the engine anyway just to keep me warm. It's either costly (heatpump) or uses a great deal of electricity to heat humans in winter so almost anything with an ICE will use that for the in cabin heat. (or in some cases shoreup an element based heater)
In summer I can manage 7.0L/100km or a bit less. In winter I'm happy if I can keep it under 11L/100km. (to be fair, winter on the engine is part of this, but I think most of this is just keeping me from becoming a humansicle)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
^^^
Actually the main reason that the ICE runs in cold weather is for emissions. The ICE must be at operating temp for best emissions. Its true that it will also run to make heat, but if that bothers you just shut off the HVAC when stopped.
Also be aware that lower MPG in the cold is mainly due to a cold chassis and tires. And, the new generation HV system has active radiator shutters to help keep it warm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
^^^
Actually the main reason that the ICE runs in cold weather is for emissions. The ICE must be at operating temp for best emissions. Its true that it will also run to make heat, but if that bothers you just shut off the HVAC when stopped.
Also be aware that lower MPG in the cold is mainly due to a cold chassis and tires. And, the new generation HV system has active radiator shutters to help keep it warm.
It does that all year round (warm up for emmisions), runs a very short time usually for that. (by the time I reach the end of the back lane)
Sometimes I do shut off the HVAC at a stop so the ICE stops but the silly dog doesn't stop panting and has a bad habit of filling the car with moist dog breath. :)
I'll have to try an experiment this winter, see how bad the MPG (what is the metric version of MPG/mileage anyway? kilometerage?) is with the HVAC on and off. Not sure my wife will like this experiment though. (esp if I have to keep the windows open to keep from fogging up)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
It does that all year round (warm up for emmisions), runs a very short time usually for that. (by the time I reach the end of the back lane)
Not really a good topic for this thread, but there are 4 thermal states for the HV system. The first is "open loop" and the second is "closed loop". All its doing in that first 2-3 min of running is getting to a closed loop state. It still needs to reach full operating temp to satisfy emissions standards, which it will start to do if you press the gas enough to trigger ICE. It'll then keep running more or less till fully warmed up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not really a good topic for this thread
True, we drifted a bit.
Back to topic.
Summer stealth camping, probably not too bad.
Winter stealth camping, might get a bit more ICE use than hoping for. (depending on one's definition of winter)

·
Registered
846 Posts
^^^
Rdgrimes, which Toyota models have this active radiator shutters, the 2019 RAV4H? Would you know if there's one on the UX250H?

I put grill blockers on our 16 RAV4H as I don't think there are shutters for the 4th gen RAV4's.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for this incredibly helpful info. Am literally going to make a ...based on the ability to stealth camp in the vehicle, in lieu of pricey hotel accommodations, and have the climate control hear or cool the cabin automatically as I sleep, with minimal fuel consumption by the gas

YES! I am watching this conversation. I bought the 2019 Rav4 Hybrid, xle with electric lumbar, brake hold (great for stop and go traffic) for car camping and was pleasantly surprised by radar assist cruise control and lane tracing assist! It is as if the car is driving itself!

It does cycle on and off for the air conditioning, though the car does lurch a bit when the gas engine kicks in.

I am in NYC, and feel like I am not getting the mileage others refer to, but that might be driver error or just bad habits!

I also don't understand how to best maximize ECO, AUTO, and EV.

I am looking forward to seeing what you buy and how you set it up for car camping!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts