Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, was getting defeated with the crankshaft pulley bolt and thought about giving up, then i looked online and saw that several people were making their own pulley holders. Decided to make my own out of a 2x4 and some m5 .8 screws. Made a couple designs before i drilled the holes but it turned out pretty decent and worked with getting the bolt off! I really didnt want to try the "bump the starter" trick and end up breaking something important or have to buy a new tool. All the materials cost under 10$ at home depot. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
731 Posts
How are you going to torque it to specs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice tool. I made one out of 1/4" aluminum sheet and could not get that bolt out!

I mistakenly took off this bolt while fixing something. Maybe the timing belt?

It was pretty hard to remove. I tried a torque wrench first. Nope. Had a friend bring over his impact wrench. Nope.

Eventually after giving up hope I turned to the "bump the starter" trick. I fitted the socket onto a breaker bar and propped the handle against the frame. A split second later I had a free bolt. No effort for the starter at all. I felt pretty stupid wasting so much time trying everything else.

I wasn't sure that I would get the sucker torqued back to spec though, so I called my mechanic and asked if he would simply torque the bolt for me. He wouldn't do it for liability reasons since I had done the job. I ended up using the torque wrench and it wasn't so hard.

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,163 Posts
Bump that starter

Nice tool. I made one out of 1/4" aluminum sheet and could not get that bolt out!

I mistakenly took off this bolt while fixing something. Maybe the timing belt?

It was pretty hard to remove. I tried a torque wrench first. Nope. Had a friend bring over his impact wrench. Nope.

Eventually after giving up hope I turned to the "bump the starter" trick. I fitted the socket onto a breaker bar and propped the handle against the frame. A split second later I had a free bolt. No effort for the starter at all. I felt pretty stupid wasting so much time trying everything else.

I wasn't sure that I would get the sucker torqued back to spec though, so I called my mechanic and asked if he would simply torque the bolt for me. He wouldn't do it for liability reasons since I had done the job. I ended up using the torque wrench and it wasn't so hard.
Same here, wasted a lot of time and effort, tried the starter trick with 1/2" breaker bar and pneumatic socket, will always do it that way now. No need to fabricate or buy special tools.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts