Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll preface this by saying I'm not a mechanical guru :D

Today on my way home from work a guy flagged me down and wanted a boost for his car. I've got cables in the trunk so I'll pull over and go to set everything up. I pop my hood and realize, I can't help this guy, because it doesn't appear I have a battery here to do so. I ended up leaving the guy with the cables to see if he could flag someone down and I'd get them another time.

My questions are, is there a battery under the hood I could have used? Would it even have been safe to boost a car from a hybrid? What happens if my battery drains in the cold?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Smart money says: never try to boost another car from a hybrid. The potential costs of a screw up are too high.

That said, the battery is under the rear deck, and that's the only place you should ever try to boost another car from. Also be aware the 12v battery is really tiny, and not capable of cranking a big engine.

There's a terminal in the under-hood fuse box where you can attach a boost if the Hybrid car needs a boost, but it is not suitable for boosting another car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! I have to do some digging in my vehicle to make sure I can locate that spot that is safe to boost in case I require it but will take your advice and not boost others. I really appreciate the response.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Smart money says: never try to boost another car from a hybrid. The potential costs of a screw up are too high.
100% agree with this statement. From what I've been able to research, the 12v battery in the hybrid isn't going to be suitable for powering a standard vehicle's starter, and I don't think the car's high voltage to low voltage transformer would be able to handle that kind of load either.

(On the other hand, the 12v battery in the hybrid IS required for the hybrid to start itself. If you need to GET a jump, there's a terminal under the hood... inside the fuse box, I think, under a red cover. Use that and vehicle chassis for ground. Don't dig the battery out of the trunk...)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Providing a boost...

I had to boost my Camry (4 cyl) this morning with my R4H. Pucker factor was high, but it went down swimmingly. The access panel to the "mini" battery under the back decking was simple to locate, and access to the (+) and (-) was a clear shot. The Camry was deader than a doornail, but it fired up immediately off the boost. I was VERY careful to do the terminal hookup in the correct order, and wasted no time getting the cables off the R4H as soon as the Camry fired up. The R4H appears to have suffered NO ill effects, but I don't plan on making a habit of this. :serious

1 - 5 of 5 Posts