Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 RAV4 with 122K miles. About 2 weeks ago, the belt started to squeak a little, then I also noticed a knocking noise coming from one of the pulleys as well. Yesterday my wife drove the car, she states the knocking noise was worse and all of the suddenly the temp. gauge went ot max hot, and all the lights on the dashboard came on. I checked it out today and the coolant fluid tank is now completely empty. There's coolant fluid pooled in the bottom of the engine compt. bellow the area of the noisy pulley. Can someone help me out in trying to figure out what's happening, and most importantly, how much it will cost to fix it? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Welcome aboard massmann! Try posting this in the 4.3 section as you might have others there with similar experiences and info regarding '08 RAV's - this is the 4.4 section which covers the 2013 - 2015 (2016?) model years.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
water pump failure probably.... I had 2 water pumps replaced on my 2007 they are prone to failure on the older 4.3s

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
Moved to 4.3. I agree, the water pump took a dump. Cost will vary depending on which engine you have..

·
Registered
129 Posts
how long did she drive on hot? was it immediately turned off? if she drove for a while the engine may have seized. are you able to start the rav4? either the waterpump or ripped hose is the cause. check to see where coolant is leaking from. was the coolant flushed at 100k miles? was toyota coolant or green coolant used?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts