Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very distinct pulsing through the brake pedal, although the braking is effective and true.
The car is a 1996 2door, 2L petrol which I have had for 10 months.
I plan to remove and clean the front brakes this weekend and would appreciate any suggestions of where else to check to eliminate this problem.
The MOT is due up the end of the month, so if I can fix this now, so much the better.

Regards,
Colin

·
Registered
184 Posts
Do you feel vibration in the steering wheel at the same time, or just pedal?
If you do, then it sounds like rotor(s) warped, it happens. If they can be cut, have them cut, if not, replace with new (I would replace brake pads as well) if steering doesn't shake during braking, then rear brakes need to be looked at, not sure what you have there, drums or rotors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just thro' the pedal, no other signs that I can think of.
Drums on the rear. If I have time I will be stripping down and cleaning these as well but now wondering if I should start at the rear. Weekends are never long enough and have other things to do.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just thro' the pedal, no other signs that I can think of.
Drums on the rear. If I have time I will be stripping down and cleaning these as well but now wondering if I should start at the rear. Weekends are never long enough and have other things to do.
Usually if there is front brake disk warping, you'll feel it in the steering wheel as well. Inspect all the brakes, regardless. :cheers: Check calipers in the front, if piston is movable and didn't freeze, also brake cylinders in the rear, if pistons are moving. Good luck!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Warped rotor. This can happen coming down steep hills when riding the brakes, then hitting water, ice or snow on the road that shocks and warps the rotors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the replies.

My first thought was the discs (rotors) as well but as Ivan70 says, you usually feel that thro' the steering. I have had this on other cars.
I am in the UK and parts seem to be substantially more expensive; not sure why; the are made in the UK as well as imported.
It is a cheap car, for me to thro' a bag of cement and sand in the back sort of thing. I will spend my own time on it but not much money.

I'll let you know how I get on next week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is my update;
I kept checking the Forums for other ideas and found two other suggestion. One that it might be a ABS problem and second brake pedal alone pulsing is a sign of brake drum (rear) problem.
I had never considered the ABS, so first thing I did on Saturday morning is check the ABS system, which took no time at all, because it isn't fitted.
After that I lost an hour as the trolley jacks hadn't been used in over a year and dampness had got into the storage; so cleaning and freeing off.
Got the car up and the back wheels off and then the drums and the rear off side trailing shoe was missing the small pedestal and small spring. The pedestal pin had sheared and the parts and spring had wedged behind the shoe. Cleaned and checked the rest of the brakes, all looked good. Great I thought a simple fix. So then I got on with the big job of the day, changing the rear exhaust. As always, exhaust bolts corroded on and difficult access (although done worse). Got the exhaust off, went and had brunch. Decided to go and get the brake part form local shop.

Now hear is a thing; Drum brakes are so 20th. Century. Apparently modern cars don't use them. Small accessory shops don't carry the spares like they used to, so they have to order them in. Even tried big supplier, Euro Car & Auto Parts, same thing. Takes 3 days for order to be delivered, 2 if you are lucky. and the picture didn't look anything like the kit I had on the car. (£30 for a fitting kit!). Eventually, running out of time and patience, I went home and fitted a 4mm machine screw and locking nut instead. Getting to late to fit the new exhaust, so had a glass of wine and half a roast chicken with small boiled potatoes.

Fitted the exhaust next morning, took the car for a test drive. Exhaust ok, ...pulsing back after a mile or two, although not as bad.
Monday morning, eventually 'phoned the dealer (which I never do) for a fitting kit. They will supply individual parts, the pedestal pin is £2.70, so ordered for next weekend. Also took advantage of Fathers Day discount at Euro Car and ordered new discs for the front. (Drums looked good when I checked.)
Roll on next week

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fitted new discs (rotors) as suggested; problem cured.
Only problem was whoever had worked on these in the past had put on a bolt with a rounded head, otherwise one of the easier jobs I have done on old cars.
Thank for the advice.

Colin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts