Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 V6 with 30K miles on it. When I tried to put gas in my car the other day, the pump keep stopping when I try to fill the gas tank. My tank is 3/4 empty when I tried to fill it. No Check engine light came on or afterward. I was only able to add $7 worth of gas and it only fill half my gas tank. I was putting in regular gas. I'm going to try another gas station and see if the issue still exist.

I want to see if anyone experience this issue. thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
When that has happened to me I lighten up on the trigger of the gas nozzle to lessen the flow.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I didn't have this issue in the past with that particular gas station. Lighten the trigger is a good work around for now, but I want to find out what's causing this.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I used to have that issue at some stations with my Tacoma. So far the Corolla has been fine and my wife has not complained about the Rav.
With the Tacoma, I'd have to stick a finger into the bellows to allow it to vent and that would fix it.
Slower flow, it took longer but still kicked off at the same volume of fuel.

It's a problem with the pump.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Don't stick the nozzle so far in. The nozzle has a safety feature that senses pressure and shuts off the flow of gas. If you're getting too good of a seal (nozzle in too far) then it will shut off. Pull that nozzle out a bit and you should be OK.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Don't stick the nozzle so far in. The nozzle has a safety feature that senses pressure and shuts off the flow of gas. If you're getting too good of a seal (nozzle in too far) then it will shut off. Pull that nozzle out a bit and you should be OK.
I think the pump is designed to work with the nozzle inserted all the way in order to capture gas fumes. If it keeps shutting off either there's a problem with the cars evap system or the gas pump. When it happened to me(RAV), I change pumps and problem disappears, so it was the pump. It started happening to my old Camry at all pumps, so I knew it was the evap system. Had that fixed($$$!!)and was good to go.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Happened to me when my evap charcoal canister was broke. You'd get a check engine light if this was the case. Anyways, it's the pump, use a different one or diff gas station. Or just do it manually: Pump it into a plastic gas can, then pour from plastic gas can into your vehicle.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

Took my car to another gas station and everything is fine. I was able to pump the gas into my car without any issue. When I had the issue, I smell a strong gas smell once I get back into my car. No check engine light. I'm guessing that gas pump had some issue.

thank you for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Pump was not properly evacuating the vapor, so it was building pressure and likely force-venting through your evap system into the intake. Gasoline fumes are pretty potent, so it would be normal to get a fuel smell in the cabin through the ventilation system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts