Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone ,

I wanted expert advice regarding the buying option , this would be my first car and i zeroed down on the SE with the TechPackage(i think i need the bird's eye view ) .
One of the good quote that i got was MSRP is $31,790 & cash price is $29,828. (SE,FWD,Tech Package) .I am based in CA .
From what i have read through the threads for this topic , there is a pretty good chance of getting a 10% off the MSRP (15-17% if really lucky making it OTD 31K ) .
Should i hold on buying till the new models are announced so as to increase my chances ?

Ideally if its 1K which i would save between now and after 2 months , i would buy it now since i may spend that amount on renting it out /Uber .etc ?

Any advice/pointers would be really appreciated .

Thanks in advance .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,087 Posts
Look for 0% financing, which will save you more than any available price discounts. There doesn't look to be any serious changes in 2017 models, other than slightly different configurations which you can read about here. Once the 2017 is available there will no longer be any 0% finance for 2016 models.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The bird's eye view is nice, but it really isn't all that. If you're buying the tech package just for that option, I'd say save your money. My previous car had self-parallel-parking that was far more useful. The bird's eye view shows you the area around the vehicle when in reverse, but the picture is a graphic composite from the 4 cameras. It is heavily distorted and lacks detail. I found it hard to judge my distance from the curb between 4" and 8" for example. It looks like "a little over" and "a little more over" but I couldn't tell if it was 1" or 4", which is a huge difference when your car is sticking out into the street. You can sort of make out an object on the ground but is it a stick or a bottle? It would be really useful if I could force it on before I started parking and keep it on when the vehicle is in drive (I'm pulling forward in the spot) but it blinks out as soon as I shift out of reverse. I also wonder how useful it will be in the winter with white snow all around (and possibly obscuring the cameras as well).

Anyway, just my opinion, while I find the back-up camera extremely useful (and far easier to look at and understand) the bird's eye view is neat, but useless. Interesting that you can disable it entirely for a larger back-up view, possibly Toyota agrees.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Look for 0% financing, which will save you more than any available price discounts. There doesn't look to be any serious changes in 2017 models, other than slightly different configurations which you can read about here. Once the 2017 is available there will no longer be any 0% finance for 2016 models.
No? I would think there would be to get them off the lot as quickly as possible. At least I hope so. My dealer isn't getting my 2016 until September. :wink

·
Registered
13 Posts
It would be really useful if I could force it on before I started parking and keep it on when the vehicle is in drive (I'm pulling forward in the spot) but it blinks out as soon as I shift out of reverse.
U CAN set the birds-eye view for forward-motion during low-speeds. Click on the little button above the central-console; by the AC vents. You can also enable to permanently when going forward at low-speeds..but I found that too distracting. Now, I enable it manually whenever I need to.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
No? I would think there would be to get them off the lot as quickly as possible. At least I hope so. My dealer isn't getting my 2016 until September. :wink
Once the 2017 models are on the lot, the 2016 will be considered "used" cars and 0% won't be available unless its a factory incentive. In many cases the year old models wind up costing more even at reduced prices, because of the financing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's not true. A new vehicle is a new vehicle no matter the year.

A vehicle is not used until it is purchased and the MSO is signed over. A dealer may chose to do that if there are some killer incentives running, but I think we're too early in to 2016 for that to occur.

Once the dealer signs the MSO they must pay whoever owns the floor plan (bank).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hmm I didn't know that about the BEV. I'll have to try it. I still think it's more a cute gimmick than actually useful, but that's my opinion. I did find out that you can tap around the edge of the view to zoom in on a corner or edge. Just looks blown up though.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
That's not true. A new vehicle is a new vehicle no matter the year.
Not to the banks its not. Its value is reduced to that of a used car as soon as new models come out. Toyota Financial might offer an incentive for a short while to help dealers clear the lots, but the true value of the car is still less. Its called depreciation.

·
Registered
93 Posts
By law a vehicle is "new" until someone signs the MSO (manufactures statement of origin). If a dealer "buys" the vehicle and sells it as a demo then yes, it depreciates considerably, and is considered a used car. However the scenario you described will not happen with two vehicles that both have the MSO.

Toyota is not going to make it more expensive to purchase a new 2016 over a 2017. How would they ever expect to get the remaining 2016's off the lots? No body would ever buy one.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Toyota is not going to make it more expensive to purchase a new 2016 over a 2017. How would they ever expect to get the remaining 2016's off the lots? No body would ever buy one.
Indeed, in fact at the time that I bought my 16, the dealer was offering 0% on the 15's that they had but 0.9% on the 16's for the same financing period.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
By law a vehicle is "new" until someone signs the MSO (manufactures statement of origin). If a dealer "buys" the vehicle and sells it as a demo then yes, it depreciates considerably, and is considered a used car. However the scenario you described will not happen with two vehicles that both have the MSO.
Nevertheless, this all happens every year.
If you don't believe it go look at blue book values for 2016 vs 2017 when the new models come out.

Yet they do, but most people fall for the lower price on the "old" model and never bother to figure out what the financing costs them. They drop the price a few thousand and charge 0.9 or 1.9% for the loan, which works out to a higher cost for the older model.

·
Registered
16 Posts
U CAN set the birds-eye view for forward-motion during low-speeds. Click on the little button above the central-console; by the AC vents. You can also enable to permanently when going forward at low-speeds..but I found that too distracting. Now, I enable it manually whenever I need to.
How do you enable it permanently on low speeds?

·
Registered
13 Posts
How do you enable it permanently on low speeds?
Once it turns on (at low forward speeds), an option appears in the lower left of the video to set it to "auto" ie automatically turn it on when at low-speeds.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi Everyone ,

I wanted expert advice regarding the buying option...

Any advice/pointers would be really appreciated...
If you are a Costco member, look into their auto buying referral program. That's how I purchased my '15 last October. Very easy, no-hassle purchase. It came with the tech package, (bird's eye not available on the '15 models).

On the tech package, I really, really like the reverse collision warning system. Works extremely well in letting you know about cross traffic coming down the street and pedestrians on the sidewalk approaching the car.

I don't care at all for the lane departure warning. I very rarely use it, mostly because it goes off when I change lanes. It could have some use on an all-day trip, but otherwise, eh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks a lot everyone , all the pointers made me confidently feel that I could get the price I wanted and and i wasn't low balling them .
Finally took the plunge
RAV4 SE , FWD,adv tech package :OTD:33750 ,CA.
With 0% financing from Toyota .

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just bought my 2016 RAV4 a few days ago and I found the "0% financing" to be a farce.

I was thinking about either paying cash or going with the 0% financing option. I got a cash price first. When I asked about the 0% financing, the price went up $1500. So it really wasn't 0% financing.

I paid cash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's surprising , for me it was either the 0% or lose out on the $750 incentive , with 33k OTD and 2.74% apr vs 0% , I feel 0% saved me around 1500+

1 - 19 of 19 Posts