Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Ever since I purchased my new-to-me RAV4 three weeks ago I've been reading this forum for tips, mods, advice, and everything else. Its really nice seeing such a lively discussion centered around these vehicles. Now onto the reason I'm posting this thread. As the title states, I just purchased a used 2006 4wd i4 base model with 105k miles. So far I love this vehicle. I specifically searched it out for its gas mileage and capability to do just about everything. I'm an outdoorsman, but will be moving to a large city this summer for my career. As such, I really wanted a larger vehicle that wouldn't ruin my wallet at the pump during the commute. My question to the community is: What should I check/perform maintenance on to ensure I get the most out of this vehicle?

A little vehicle history: I am the 3rd owner (per VIN info). The vehicle was purchased used from a dealer last April (2016) with ~85k miles. The 2nd owner put on 20k miles in ~10 months before wanting to upgrade to a newer RAV4 and selling this one. Is it right to assume all recall work was performed at the dealer since they had the vehicle before the 2nd owner purchased it? I don't know the service history for this vehicle, so I don't have anything to go off of. I've been reading extensively about a transmission drain/fill via the return line and its something I *think* I want to do. Like I said I don't know the service history for this vehicle. I took a picture of the transmission fluid on a white paper towel (attached) in hopes someone could give me their opinion on the life of the fluid.

If there are any other tips you'd like to share about these vehicles I'm all ears!

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
When you buy a used vehicle and don't have the car previous car maintenance history you should inspect certain things.
Places you should check are all the fluids such as engine oil, transfer case (if 4wd), rear differential (if 4wd), brake fluid, coolant, and transmission.
Since the transmission oil was checked I see it looks like it has never been changed. I recommend a flush using the return line.
Also check the air filter, cabin filter, and spark plug. You can also check and clean the throttle body.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you buy a used vehicle and don't have the car previous car maintenance history you should inspect certain things.
Places you should check are all the fluids such as engine oil, transfer case (if 4wd), rear differential (if 4wd), brake fluid, coolant, and transmission.
Since the transmission oil was checked I see it looks like it has never been changed. I recommend a flush using the return line.
Also check the air filter, cabin filter, and spark plug. You can also check and clean the throttle body.
Thank you, this is what I was looking for! Given there are so many DIY guides on this forum, I assume all of those mentioned have a guide posted somewhere. This is my first 4wd vehicle, so checking (and probably changing) the differential and transfer case fluid is totally new to me.

For the coolant, I plugged in an OBDII scanner and ran the torque app yesterday and it was resting around 190-196 on the Torque app and the needle was dead center on the dash board gage. Looking at the coolant reservoir, the coolant looks to be a nice pink. Any tell tale signs it needs replacing?

Air filter looks brand new. I'll check the cabin filter and the plugs. I don't know anything about a throttle body, but I'll snoop around the forum and see what I can find.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I bought the vehicle I checked over most of the mechanical components as best as I could. I didn't see any frame rust and the shocks were in good condition. The brake rotors aren't rusty and everything works as it should, as far as I could tell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts