Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a 2008 RAV4 limited v6 version for $10864 out the door with 136,000 miles. It has a few scratches and dents but mechanically sound and interior has some normal wear and tear.automatic transmission.

Is that a good price? What should I be checking before pulling the trigger?

Limited warranty included- seems like drive train only.

Had a 2004 Toyota Matrix xrs and had to get something for the family. I do miss the xrs but after driving the RAV4 v6 I don't mind now.

For some reason it's hard to find RAV4 v6 now for that price ...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Where do you live?...that is more than I would pay, but the limited generally brings in more than the other models.....if you do get it make sure that it has the all metal oil lines (Google it for more info) and make sure the rear suspension recall has been done...I have read of people with over 200k on these things and no real issues......the water pump on the v6 seems to need replacing more than any other thing....overall it's a great ride...

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
There were quite a few recalls and service bulletins for that year, make sure they have all been performed. Some transmissions had a very noticeable whine from about 40-50 mph so check for that. As rav4system mentioned the water pump is a known problem, both of ours have been replaced. A less than excellent condition battery can cause all kinds of misery so have it load tested. DO NOT replace it (if needed) with a Toyota brand battery, they are rubbish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow lots to check, the vehicle has been in Texas since "birth". I do have the car fax and I can check it out for the recall works. So it's the oil lines, water pump , the whiny transmission and the load on the battery thingy.

Oil lines can be replaced - cheaper. water pump I assume can be checked?

Whiny transmission I can check , load on the battery thingy check.

Thanks guys. I feel that I might over pay a bit , but here in Dallas choices are few some reason.

They say it's because it is back to school time and many new lic. Drivers need used vehicles.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would look for another vehicle. A lot of money to pay for a high mileage vehicle with so many potential problems.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am purchasing a 2008 RAV4 limited v6 version for $10864 out the door with 136,000 miles. It has a few scratches and dents but mechanically sound and interior has some normal wear and tear.automatic transmission.
I don't know what else is on that Rav (2WD or 4WD?, Sunroof? JBL Audio?), but according to KBB.com, that price is about ballpark with that mileage, especially if it is truly out the door (taxes and fees included).

You were given sound advice regarding the oil line and water pump. The transmission whine is an annoyance but doesn't affect the performance of the vehicle.

The mileage, while high, is by no means "worn out" for a Toyota.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does have the jbl, sunroof, leather seats, down hill assist, 2wd. I assume that's front wheel drive

·
Registered
189 Posts
in canada the highest trade-in value you can have is 6,084$, lowest is 3,910$ *** less reconditioning cost. so 10K USD is still a bit high, I may say if it is reconditioned
like there's no problem, original owner sent it for all campaign and warranty or/with new tires/rims? it is a good buy from 8000-8800USD. :), thats just from my calculation (dont quote me on that). it is an 8yo rav4, not a 4runner. :)

if youre not sure to look for before buying a second hand car, bring a technician, unless you're getting this from Toyota dealer (they certify the reconditioning of every vehicle).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Original price 10995- got it down to 10,000 flat plus taxes and lic.

Total out the door 10800. My wife was looking at a Mazda cx 9 touring with 82000 miles , 2010. But for 11944.00 out the door:

I was originally looking at a clean 2007 Honda Element sc.

But I love toyotas

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did I mention the body has some scratches and it looked like somebody hated the last owner and possible two panels need to be painted.

·
Registered
370 Posts
in canada the highest trade-in value you can have is 6,084$, lowest is 3,910$ *** less reconditioning cost. so 10K USD is still a bit high, .
Used car markup in this price range is $4-5K (US), so a $6K trade in would translate to an $11K asking price. Yes, used cars are more profitable for a dealer than new cars.

Did I mention the body has some scratches and it looked like somebody hated the last owner and possible two panels need to be painted.
Not in those words...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts