Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello RAV4 World,

As you guys can see from the title I am here today because I'm looking for some advice and information from you guys to make purchasing my New-2-me RAV4 as smooth as possible.

I have not long started a new job on the railway where I have to go out and inspect the track. At the moment I own a BMW M3 and she's my baby but every time I go to visit the track I find another scratch on the body work and it is slowly breaking me down. So, I have decided to get myself a second motor that is a little higher and more built for what I need.

I'm looking at a 2007 RAV4, Manual, 2L that has 141,000 miles on the clock and going for €3000. When I go to view the SUV what Should I be looking out for in terms of how well it's been maintained? Is there anything that starts failing around that 10-year-old mark? pretty much any advice you guys can throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
you are in England then?

i know the 2006 to 2008 4 cylinders had oil burning issues. Not sure if its the same motor in europe or not.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
That particular engine and transmission combination does not exist in North America so the majority of us cannot offer any information.

I would treat it as any used car and pay to have it gone over by a competent mechanic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I'm from England. Thanks for the replies guys it looks like taking a mechanic along with me is the best choice for this motor. As of the burning oil, I will get on some research to see what that's all about.

Thanks again guy I will be back soon

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Is the 2L a diesel. THe oil burners here were the 2.4l gas engines.

And you are looking for a manual. is that a 5 speed. Those were also never available. We only got the slush box.

Personally if I was looking for a 2nd vehicles, with the first being a road oriented one, I would look for something more offroad worthy. The RAV is essentially a beefed up Corolla. I would find something with at least a low range 4x4.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
you are in England then?

i know the 2006 to 2008 4 cylinders had oil burning issues. Not sure if its the same motor in europe or not.
It is not the same, it is a 2.0l as stated.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Yes, I'm from England. Thanks for the replies guys it looks like taking a mechanic along with me is the best choice for this motor. As of the burning oil, I will get on some research to see what that's all about.

Thanks again guy I will be back soon
As mentioned above......the 2.4l from '06-'08 was the oil burner. The 2.0 is not prone to it but that would also depend on the previous maintenance and mileage like any used car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your honest opinions I will have to have widen my range in terms of what 4x4 I'm looking for but I do like the RAV. IF I do get the RAV it's good to know that there isn't and specific problems that are going to haunt me in the future just the standards!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would hope that it is a 2L diesel model you are describing and not gasoline!

The Rav4's of this generation are heavy, and over here in North America the 2.4 cylinder is already barely adequate in my opinion. On top of this they are only 4 speed transmissions (not sure about your manual since we were not offered that here but my guess is it's at least a 5 speed). The new gen Ravs have 6 speeds with the 4 cylinder for example to wring out as much torque as possible and they're still 0-60mph/0-100kph in 9+ seconds. That is not good for getting out into urban driving.

I how many always quote horsepower but what most really feel when driving is torque (pulling ability, get up and go). Of which a 2.4L gasoline engine is barely enough and a 2.0L would be downright painful in my opinion. No amount of downshifting would ever make it move adequately in my opinion unless it is in fact a diesel.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
I would hope that it is a 2L diesel model you are describing and not gasoline!

The Rav4's of this generation are heavy, and over here in North America the 2.4 cylinder is already barely adequate in my opinion. On top of this they are only 4 speed transmissions (not sure about your manual since we were not offered that here but my guess is it's at least a 5 speed).
The 4.3 RAV4's in Europe have a shorter body/wheelbase, and therefore don't weigh as much as the N. American version. I still think the 2.0L petrol engine is too small, and I think the diesel has been more popular there.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Suggest contacting a RAV4 forum in the UK for information from owners with experience with RAV4's available there, such as RAV4 Drivers Club ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
didn't realize that there was a UK version, thanks for the link I will deffo check that out but I must admit you guys have kind of put me off getting the RAV4

·
Registered
874 Posts
Remember in ToyKitson's original post that he's currently using a BMW for his work duties - if its abilities are sufficient, then the RAV will be too. As for power, torque, weight, off-road ability, things ARE a little different on the other side of the pond, not always needing the Jeremy Clarkson school of thought "More Powerrrrr!"

ToyKitson: from what I've seen (mainland Europe) of the 4.3, and with what I know of our 4.3 here, you should still be fine with it. True it's a unit body front-driver at its core, but if you've had no troubles with your BMW off-road, then the RAV will certainly fit your use. Our 2.4 and 2.5 petrol engines and 4-speed automatics are not the best for off-road, however even with this combination, Car and Driver still found the vehicle to be adequate in a comparison test which included light off-roading, back in 2006-2008 (can't remember the year), and this was with our heavier petrol RAV. Shorter, lighter, diesel, manual, I think you'll be pleased with it. Certainly check out the UK forum, as you'll get more specific info, but I'm sure you'd be happy with one, barring any mechanical conditions endemic to the 2.0 diesel.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
127 Posts
So it's a little confusing but when people mention 4.3 they are talking about the RAV4 model/generation. In North America 4.3 signifies the years 2006-2012. The 4.4 is the newest generation 2013-present day.

In the 2006-2012 model years (4.3 gen) there was the 3.5L V6 with a 5sp automatic for all those years. There was also a 2.4L inline 4 cylinder, later updated to a 2.5L 4 cylinder midway through the generation in 2009 which both used a 4sp automatic.

This is why we haven't heard of the 2L engine you mentioned (which sounds like it's a diesel option) as we were only offered the engines I just mentioned.

The new generation (4.4) sold here now only use the 2.5L petrol inline 4 cylinder (but with a new 6sp automatic), which is why people clamor to find and purchase the 4.3 generation Rav4s with the V6 because they won't be coming back.

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
In the 2006-2012 model years (4.3 gen) there was the 3.5L V6 with a 5sp automatic for all those years.

....which is why people clamor to find and purchase the 4.3 generation RAV4s with the V6 because they won't be coming back.
... This feels like I'm slowly losing grip of the RAV4
I have an '06 V6 now. My grip will stop with a 2012.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts