Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A: Because it's always in Sport Mode!!! :)

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Amen! to that, and its one less annoying and distracting gadget one has to fuss with!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, sometimes I wish it had an ECO button for driving in traffic.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The Rav4 V6 has a somewhat sensitive throttle input response compared to my Camry V6. They both have the 3.5L engine.
I actually think that the throttle response is kind of abrupt on the RAV4, compared to any of other cars that I drove. I actually was thinking that is something wrong with the system, but now I see that somebody else feels the same. Mike, if I am not gentle at the beginning of the pedal press, it "jerks".
I even drove a Ford Edge V6 3.7L (300HP) and it felt more controllable.
Almost like it has a slight delay between pressing the pedal until and ECU actually moving the throttle. And meanwhile, because nothing happend in the first 1/10 sec, the foot pressed even more on pedal.
And suddenly, that's what the ECU decides that you wanted... and opens the throttle wider than you actually expected.

Some people confuse that with being "sporty". Some people might call that "uncontrolled acceleration". I was tempted to blame it on slow ECU... if you didn't say that Camry V6 doesn't have it.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I actually think that the throttle response is kind of abrupt on the RAV4, compared to any of other cars that I drove. I actually was thinking that is something wrong with the system, but now I see that somebody else feels the same. Mike, if I am not gentle at the beginning of the pedal press, it "jerks".
I even drove a Ford Edge V6 3.7L (300HP) and it felt more controllable.
Almost like it has a slight delay between pressing the pedal until and ECU actually moving the throttle. And meanwhile, because nothing happend in the first 1/10 sec, the foot pressed even more on pedal.
And suddenly, that's what the ECU decides that you wanted... and opens the throttle wider than you actually expected.

Some people confuse that with being "sporty". Some people might call that "uncontrolled acceleration". I was tempted to blame it on slow ECU... if you didn't say that Camry V6 doesn't have it.
This has been mentioned in numerous threads a while back. The pedal is jerky for sure and takes time getting use to.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Have been driving our '11 V6 RAV4 for about nine years and still have not completely mastered the throttle takeoff from standing technique. Does not seem jerky but a very little pressure can produce faster than desired acceleration. Complicated by my getting older and foot pressure is not as easy to control as when the vehicles was new. Almost dangerous at times to drive when I am wearing rain boots - it rains a lot here. Still, wouldn't give up this RAV4.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Does not seem jerky but a very little pressure can produce faster than desired acceleration. Complicated by my getting older and foot pressure is not as easy to control as when the vehicles was new. Almost dangerous at times to drive when I am wearing rain boots - it rains a lot here.
That's exactly what I meant. It's silly that Toyota cannot figure this out (or they don't want), it seems to be maybe just a programming issue?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought my v6 in september and it was really a neck jerkier, it only took about a month or two for me to master it. Now I drive it like any other car unless I want to jerk some necks that day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts