Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed new head unit last weekend. I want to share my opinion about this. This is on 2010 RAV4 Base 4WD w/o JBL.

I bought the new unit from Amazon, sold by company in China, KULETONG Inc. I paid $509 shipped. The Sales rep, Emma, was very helpfull she replied all my 6 question emails promptly. Shipping is also fast, only took 3 days arrived at my door.

Anyway, back to the unit...

The head unit comes with
- 1 Instruction manual (only contains operation manual, nothing technical)
- 1 IR Remote
- 1 wiring harness which fits perfectly to RAV4 harness
- 1 GPS antenna
- 1 tablet pen
- 1 iPOD cable
- 1 mini USB adapter cable
- 1 4GB SD Card loaded with iGO GPS map for U.S

Installation:
Pretty much installation is straight forward, the same with other model already discussed in this forum (QL-RAV501, QL-RAV977). All plug and play except I also installed e-Bay RAV4 specific CCD camera (also from China), where I need to cut the bulb housing to fit it. From T1070RAV there is orange wire labeled Camera Control which I assumed that is the reverse gear signal so I connected it to (+) wire of the backup light. In addition, backup light power also supply the backup camera.

Fitment:
Not bad, but not perfect.

Notice little gaps below

It does not bother me though.

Operation:
The first time T1070RAV starts in about 2 mins to boot and aqcuire GPS signal for the first time then after that it starts about 10 secs every time I turn on the car.

Start up image is configurable so I can pick Toyota logo, but I'm not sure if I can override this with my on pic.

GPS is pretty good, it calculates route very quickly with 2D and 3D map. Voice is configurable with many languages Male/Female. Volume is also adjustable, separate from other sources (Radio, DVD, etc). I don't have any complaint in this function.

Radio, I think reception is little better than stock stereo. I can select radio setting based on USA/Europe/Asia. RDS works on some stations without problem, It can display Program Type, Station Name, Artist, Song Tittle. On other station those information are mixed up, part of station name concatenated with artist or with song title. I'm not sure it is the problem with the unit or with the station or with signal. I can have 6 presets each for FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.

DVD/CD player
DVD player is region free. I can play non reqion 1 DVD on this unit. So far I have tried mp3 and movies burned on CD-R, DVD-R. Picture quality is good, it claims produce 5.1 surround sound, but I don't have subwoofer so I cannot confirm this but I can hear surround sound.

SD Card/Music Player
Beside from CD slot, I can play movies and music from SD/SDHC card. The navigation in this function is just OK. You can browse into folder and select files you want to play. But I'm having hard time to figure out a quick way to adjust Bass/Treble/Mid, I have to go to home menu, scroll to setting then adjust from Amplifier menu every time. It is not accessible from the right button like normally on stock stereo.

iPOD control
Well I don't have an iPOD/iPhone but at work a friend has one so I tried to connect the cable to his iPhone. It works, but I didn't try much.

Bluetooth, A2DP
It works really good. Voice on the call is clear both ways using built in mic. This unit is not capable for voice dialing however. Streaming music from my phone is also good. I can control it from the unit to select next/prev song, pause, play, or stop.

Backup Camera
Quality on the image I guess depends on the camera, mine is $28 from china, so I don't expect much, but it works for me. With connection to backup light the rear camera works every time I'm in reverse gear, even when the unit is OFF. If I played anything it will pause when I'm in reverse then continue when I'm not in reverse.

Steering Wheel control
Before I installed this I added Audio control+Bluetooth on my steering wheel. All buttons are programmable from the unit so I can have them all working. Note: Voice Dial button from steering wheel is assigned to other function, in my case as MUTE. The connector from the unit to steering wheel harness on the car only has 3 wires for Audio/Bluetooth (black,white,red), which means it does not recognize VSS (purple wire).

Other Connections:
On the back of the unit I have 1 plug that I don't know what it is for (bottom right). Looks like external mic plug. Other than that it has AV in Aux 1 and Aux 2, AV out, Camera IN, DVD-C In, Digital TV in, Subwoofer Out, GPS plug, Radio plug

So far I'm happy with this. I think I got what I paid for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi! Im interested in your HU. Can you give me the link in Amazon? I cant seem to find this particular model. How are you liking it so far?:)

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,568 Posts
Hi! Im interested in your HU. Can you give me the link in Amazon? I cant seem to find this particular model. How are you liking it so far?:)
Looks like it's currently unavailable from Amazon, but do a Google search for that model number--other sites are selling it:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah it seems like its out of stock in Amazon junebug. I wanted to purchase it thru amazon just because its cheaper than autodvdgps. Still looking out for other alternative HU.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try to post better fitment picture later.

Amazon is out of stock, but I think you can get it from eBay if you search Custron+RaV4.

After few weeks with the unit here is my update:
- GPS is good, I tested with re-routing, made wrong turn etc. Recalculating is quick. Once I had a problem when I tried to enter an address and the language switch to something else than English. I turn it off and on then back to English. You can toggle GPS screen with other source by pressing NAVI button, I like this. Now I always do this every time I'm driving. Music in the background and GPS map on the screen.

- I used the virtual CD function, where it copies your CD audio to internal memory (up to 6 discs). The copy process is slow, you can listen to the CD when it was copied though. If you turn the unit off it continues from where it left of next time.

- When playing MP3 from USB with multiple folders, the current folder reset to the first folder even after I browse and play another file from different folder. Inconvenient for me. Few times after I turn on the car the SD card was not detected but after I pull it out and turn it back, it works fine, even continue with the last song I played (btw, the song is restarted from beginning every time you switch the unit is off->on)

- I played some music video in .mpg format. Sound quality is almost the same as you hear it from PC, video is not stretched in full screen but in smaller box on the side of control panel. Maybe it is possible I just don't know how yet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Looks very nice - like a refined Rav977 unit. I like that mic on the radio actually works. The one on my Rav977 didnt.

Did you wire the camera or plug into existing wire?
Does nav call out the street name or just turn right 200 ft?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wired the camera myself, the car did not come with it. Not too much of a problem though, there is a writeup on installing backup camera if you search this forum.

The GPS does not say the street name btw, it just say turn <direction> in <distance>.

More Update:

- I download music videos from Youtube in .m4p format. 720p won't play but 360p will play just fine. This is stored on 4GB sdhc. I haven't try hi-speed SDHC (I don't have it)
- Playing movies from SD card will reset to the first file every time unit is turned OFF.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wired the camera myself, the car did not come with it. Not too much of a problem though, there is a writeup on installing backup camera if you search this forum.

The GPS does not say the street name btw, it just say turn <direction> in <distance>.

More Update:

- I download music videos from Youtube in .m4p format. 720p won't play but 360p will play just fine. This is stored on 4GB sdhc. I haven't try hi-speed SDHC (I don't have it)
- Playing movies from SD card will reset to the first file every time unit is turned OFF.
A few questions about this unit:

1) Do you know if this would work with JBL sound system?
2) I have a 2011 Limited Rav4 with steering wheel controls (jbl audio and bluetooth) and I got the factory rearview mirror park assist with the backup camera inside the mirror. Would I be able to connect the camera feed into the nav screen?
3) If not, is it possible to install a front camera and feed it to the nav screen?

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To answer your questions,
1. I don't have JBL system so you need to do more research on it. OEM Plugs which go to the unit is for power, speakers, and steering wheel control. Sub Woofer input is RCA jack. So check your plugs if Sub is built in then its not going to work.
2. Your steering wheel control will work with the unit, but rear view camera won't.
3. If you put another camera then is simply plug the output video to the rear of the unit (RCA jack)

I hope this helps

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have some questions about the GPS nav system. I have a Garmin portable and the best thing about it is the ability to look for points of interest, motels and restaurants.

Does this have that feature, or is it strictly nav by address?

·
Registered
7 Posts
To answer your questions,
1. I don't have JBL system so you need to do more research on it. OEM Plugs which go to the unit is for power, speakers, and steering wheel control. Sub Woofer input is RCA jack. So check your plugs if Sub is built in then its not going to work.
2. Your steering wheel control will work with the unit, but rear view camera won't.
3. If you put another camera then is simply plug the output video to the rear of the unit (RCA jack)

I hope this helps
Thanks for the info. So far I have not found anything that suggests whether this unit would integrate with the built-in JBL system. As for the sub, I am not sure how to check if sub is built in. I think it is built into the trunk door.

Couple more questions:

My 2011 Limited Rav4 has built-in steering wheel controls with volume as well as bluetooth controls and voice activated commands. Will I be able to use the bluetooth control from the steering wheel with this unit?

Since you've been using this unit for a while now, if you can point out any issues with this unit (pros/cons) that would be very helpful. I'm surprised more people are not using this unit, if it fits so perfectly in the Rav4 and is so much cheaper compared to kenwood etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The JBL system uses electronic/speaker wire, no RCA cables. A shop told me it was impossible to use the JBL amp with this headunit. I ended up buying a new 5 channel amp (might not have needed it but increase sound quality). I cannot use steering wheel controls, but I'm researching to use the steering controls with this HU. The HU harness did not fit directly into the stock wire slots. I had to cut and solder the speaker wires. Maybe I had to specify with autodvdgps.com that my rav4 had the JBL system.

@iRAV does your stock speaker wire harness have big wire tips? My JBL wires had smaller tips which were too small to fit into the harness autodvdgps supplied for my install.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info. So far I have not found anything that suggests whether this unit would integrate with the built-in JBL system. As for the sub, I am not sure how to check if sub is built in. I think it is built into the trunk door.

Couple more questions:

My 2011 Limited Rav4 has built-in steering wheel controls with volume as well as bluetooth controls and voice activated commands. Will I be able to use the bluetooth control from the steering wheel with this unit?

Since you've been using this unit for a while now, if you can point out any issues with this unit (pros/cons) that would be very helpful. I'm surprised more people are not using this unit, if it fits so perfectly in the Rav4 and is so much cheaper compared to kenwood etc.
JBL won’t work unless you have a very very professional person. And you need a special JBL adapter. The HU’s aux are all RCA ports. So if your facotry’s parking and camera’s signal outputs are RCA. They will work well.

·
Registered
1 Posts

More Update:

Hi,

Terrific review and information. Very helpful for making my decision and eventual purchase.

I too am faced with the problem that the unit does not remember the last song it played from the SD card. I have a SD card with songs categorized into different folders and everytime it starts from the first song in the first folder. This is quite irritating.

I am wondering what is the best way to get the SD Card to remember the last played song. Is it possible to get it to remember the last song by for e.g. dumping all the songs in the root folder itself ? any suggestions ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts