Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
No issues for me unless you count the easily chipped water based paint required here, I had some bad hood chips on my 2015, none so far on the Hybrid.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I will take a look at mine later. Those pictures show right under the rubber in the lower inner area of the doors. A nice place for salt water to get trapped and do some damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just looked at both sides on mine, checking under front as well as rear door seals at body, bottom of doors. Found similar areas of poor paint application, or perhaps it was scuffed down at some later time during vehicle assembly. Good point about potential future corrosion due to potential salt water getting there over the winter months. I happen to have some white Rustoleum enamel in the garage and may just use that on the spots; since they are covered up by the seal I'm not as concerned about the cosmetics. That is likely far faster and easier than taking in to dealer.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hopefully the three layer paint for the Blizzard White offers 5% more protection.

What kind of rust proofing can we spray on these areas?

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I have no problem areas identified at this point. However, I hope the gentleman from Germany, is returning this to the dealer, for repair, or at least documentation. The dealer, could also assist in recommending the correct choice of rust proofing, if a person decided to go with self repair. I think I would use a small brush, if I were to apply something. None the less, it is unsettling, because the location of these points of penetration, may create a longer term problem, resulting in more damage, because it likely would go undiscovered, for a long time. I remember reading somewhere, that the attitude toward Toyota, in Europe, was a challenging one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I covered chrome lettering using rustoleum/plastidip for the letters on left/right/rear:
AWD-i/Hybrid/Rav4/Limited

Post some pictures of this. Did you have to tape anything to avoid overspray? How long did it take to do? How long do you think it will last when outside in the weather? What color did you use?

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Helps give that murdered look :) Another thing I really appreciate about the RAV4 Hybrid, are the chrome handles. They feel substantial, and nice in the hand, when using. Now, I am not trying to give you ideas about painting more chrome, just really appreciate a detail I did not initially notice.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Helps give that murdered look :) Another thing I really appreciate about the RAV4 Hybrid, are the chrome handles. They feel substantial, and nice in the hand, when using. Now, I am not trying to give you ideas about painting more chrome, just really appreciate a detail I did not initially notice.
I actually want to plastidip the handles too but that's too difficult for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The cars were shipped from japan and have these paint issues without exception up to now.
Your cars are assembled in canada, aren't they?

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
The cars were shipped from japan and have these paint issues without exception up to now.
Your cars are assembled in canada, aren't they?
All the RAV4 Hybrids were shipped from Japan, including mine, and I do not have these paint issues on my RAV4 Hybrid. So it was not without exception.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
As stated earlier, no problems with my Japan built Hybrid, and as Blue said, Hybrids were only made in Japan, 2016 models anyway, not sure if that changed for 2017 Hybrids.

·
Registered
551 Posts
my hybrid was also built in japan.
also i'm in southern california / bay area where the weather is very mild.
occasional rains in bay area not too cold and not too hot. easier on the paint i think.

·
Registered
551 Posts
My hybrid was also built in Japan according to the first letter of the VIN.
The weather here in bay area / southern california is very mild. No freezing temperatures
and just a little rain. These conditions are very nice to vehicles in general regarding paint/rust.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
My hybrid was also built in Japan according to the first letter of the VIN.
The weather here in bay area / southern california is very mild. No freezing temperatures
and just a little rain. These conditions are very nice to vehicles in general regarding paint/rust.
I have the same color as yours, and was admiring how nice yours looked, in your photos. Now I know your secret, no rainy days :) Although I live where it rains more often, I have to say, I am glad now, I got several good coats of wax on, when I got it in June.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have the same color as yours, and was admiring how nice yours looked, in your photos. Now I know your secret, no rainy days :) Although I live where it rains more oven, I have to say, I am glad now, I got several good coats of wax on, when I got it in June.
Yeah a good wax coat and a 13 megapixel camera makes really nice photos for forum sites.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts