Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 604 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
(Sorry if this has already been covered...)
This is happening all over the country. An oil hose is catastrophically failing
and all the oil is running out while driving. Its happening all over the country with V6 models and any other make (Camry, Lexus) that uses the same V6 engine. New, all metal hose is being used as the fix but there are none to be found. Dealer tells me NOBODY has them and they have been on backorder for at least 6 weeks. My wife is now stranded in WV since the local dealer cannot get the replacement part.

My Rav4 is a 2007 Limited V6. Im not sure if they fixed this in later models.

2006 Toyota Avalon Complete Loss Of Engine Oil With No Warning Light | CarComplaints.com
-----
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moderator Note: October 26, 2009 --> Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem as discussed on page 26 of this thread.
Here's a direct link to that section of this discussion:
:arrow: Toyota RAV4 Forums : RAV4World.com - View Single Post - Quality problem with V6 engine in RAV4, Camry, Lexus... [oil hose failing]

March 1, 2010 --> Toyota has updated the status of this TSB:
:arrow: Toyota RAV4 Forums : RAV4World.com - View Single Post - Quality problem with V6 engine in RAV4, Camry, Lexus... [oil hose failing]

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,415 Posts
Re: MAJOR Quality problem with V6 engine IN RAV4, Camry, Lexus....

miamisammy said:
and all the oil is running out while driving. Its happening all over the country
with V6 models and any other make (Camry, Lexus) that uses the same
V6 engine. New, all metal hose is being used as the fix but there are none
to be found. Dealer tells me NOBODY has them and they have been on backorder for at least 6 weeks. My wife is now stranded in WV since the local dealer cannot get the replacement part.
-----
Did this happen to your RAV4? All I see at that site are complaints from Avalon drivers. I didn't see any complaints about that issue from 2006-2007 RAV4 drivers.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Hasn't there been a few "complete loss of oil" threads here, and haven't they been for V6 RAVs? I'm not curious enough to investigate further, but maybe there's a connection. Very easy to blame this on a "bad shop" when it could very well be a design fault or weakness that's getting aggravated. Shop overfills oil, spikes line pressure, line bursts, shop is blamed, even though the line never should have burst in the first place.

The only previous issue I've heard of on this engine was oil seepage through the block on 2006 V6's which was fixed, or was some gasket issue.

·
Registered
893 Posts
SteVTEC said:
Hasn't there been a few "complete loss of oil" threads here, and haven't they been for V6 RAVs? I'm not curious enough to investigate further, but maybe there's a connection. Very easy to blame this on a "bad shop" when it could very well be a design fault or weakness that's getting aggravated. Shop overfills oil, spikes line pressure, line bursts, shop is blamed, even though the line never should have burst in the first place.

The only previous issue I've heard of on this engine was oil seepage through the block on 2006 V6's which was fixed, or was some gasket issue.
If you say that the shop overfilled the oil which caused the line to burst than it IS the shops fault.

If you say that everything was to spec but the line burst/broke than it is a quality issue.

What is it?

The previous threads regarding oil loss was the result of improper oil filter replacement and the shop(s) repaired the mistake.

Get yourselves straight people, and stop repeating the same posts...please. :roll:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
vonv said:
The previous threads regarding oil loss was the result of improper oil filter replacement and the shop(s) repaired the mistake.
Thanks.

OK so then what the hell is this, and is it an issue on the RAV or not? 8)

·
Super Moderator
10,737 Posts
The link provided was all Avalon related. I do realize that many models use the corporate 3.5L V-6 so where are the problems for other models???????? This is frightening to say the least but far from proven to be true for all. I hope it is contained to the Avalon.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"There were problems with teh V6 Camry engines. No major problems with the RAV4 V6 ones"

Try calling a Toyota dealer and ask for the parts department. Ask the guy for Part 15707-31030 "Pipe Sub-AS". When they tell you its on national backorder ask them why. Ask them why there are none available anywhere and why customers have been waiting 6 weeks or more. I have called 5 dealerships and spoken with the parts departments and they all have said the failing part is failing in all makes and models using the V6 engine that started in the Rav4 in the 2006 model. If you dont believe me make your own phone calls and try googling. My wife is currently stranded in WV because our meticulously maintained Rav4 experienced this hose failure.

·
Super Moderator
10,737 Posts
I don't know who you are answering but provide us more information here. What is this mysterious part that is on National back order? An "oil hose" doesn't tell us much. Google provides nothing so????????????

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what I can tell the V6 engine, a 2GR-FE is
also used in the Avalon, Sienna, RAV4, Lexus ES and RX 350 models, Highlander and Previa.

Once again, the part# is 15707-31030

·
Registered
395 Posts
Re: MAJOR Quality problem with V6 engine IN RAV4, Camry, Lexus....

miamisammy said:
and all the oil is running out while driving. Its happening all over the country
with V6 models and any other make (Camry, Lexus) that uses the same
V6 engine. New, all metal hose is being used as the fix but there are none
to be found. Dealer tells me NOBODY has them and they have been on backorder for at least 6 weeks. My wife is now stranded in WV since the local dealer cannot get the replacement part.
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Avalon/2006/engine/complete_loss_of_engine_oil_with_no_warning_light.shtml
-----
Your statements sounds like a typical spam email.
Example, you used the words:
- This is happening all over the country
- catastrophically failing
- NOBODY has them

All RAV4 V6 owners in this forum never experienced this problem since 2006...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Try calling a Toyota dealer and ask for the parts department. Ask the guy for Part 15707-31030 "Pipe Sub-AS".
When they tell you its on national backorder ask them why. Ask them why there are none available anywhere and why customers have been waiting 6 weeks or more. I have called 5 dealerships and spoken with the parts departments and they all have said the failing part is failing in all makes and models using the V6 engine that started in the Rav4 in the 2006 model. If you dont believe me make your own phone calls and try googling. My wife is currently stranded in WV because our meticulously maintained Rav4 experienced this hose failure.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Just because it apparently happened to your wife means absolutely nothing. 1 person vs every person on this forum with a 3rd generation Rav4 tells me a lot more about the quality of the new Ravs. Which means.. this is not a huge problem or a 'catastrophe'...
So, please stop it.

It would have been a lot more effective if you had simply just ASKED if anyone here has had the same problem instead of posting 5 different threads stating the same thing, some of which you didn't even take the time to preview and the link doesn't work. At that point, you would have learned that this is in fact NOT a major issue as no one here has had this problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Two of the parts guys I spoke to said the orignal part which was both metal and rubber is a flaw in the design and the new part (15707-31030) is all metal. Why dont you call a dealer and ask them if I'm right? Of course if as you suggest there is no problem then why did they rework the part to all metal which is more expensive and why are they on national back order. Again, the parts guys specifically said the original part has a design flaw.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
OK. So I hate to say it guys, but he IS telling you all the truth.

There is a TSB out for the newer avalons concerning a small pinhole leak from the rear bank VVTI oil feed hose which can grow into a larger leak, and in some cases, cause catastrophic failure due to lack of oil in the system.

The problem is that toyota has ONLY issued a TSB for the Avalon, even though this EXACT same condition can (and has) happened on ALL toyota vehicles using the 2GR engine. This is causing a MAJOR headache for us at dealerships (especially the people that handle the paperwork), along with the customers that go through this problem.

Why is it only on the Avalon? No clue. My best guess would be because it's WAY more common on the Avalon than on any other toyota so far (I've done roughly 10 of these on the Avalons, but I've only done 2 on RAV4's and 1 lone Camry.). I really think its only a matter of time before they issue an updated TSB to include the RAV and Camry, but who knows what goes on in toyota's head?

Now for the catch, He was right in saying that the parts are NOT available. This was such a major and very common issue for the Avalon, that ALL Dealerships are completely out of the parts kits (a hose with both of the end banjo fittings, bolts, 2 new clamps, and a new cover to replaced the oil-soaked one), and they are (and have been for 2 months now) on back-order from the company that makes this part for toyota. The last time I tried to order one (actually, for one of the RAV's I did this on), the earliest they could get me a kit was three months. yeah.

BUT, he was wrong in thinking that there isnt any way to get around this. Toyota has ALREADY issued an update for this, and its been out for almost a month now. Toyota is instructing all dealerships to replace the hose and the two clamps with regular autoparts store hose and "special" :roll: toyota screw-type clamps. that simple. The whole repair now takes 30 minutes (as opposed to the 2 hours it took before, as the alternator had to be removed to get to the back fitting on the hose). From what i understand, this is just a temporary fix until the parts start rolling again.

Just updating you guys about whats going on before you start jumping down his throat and calling him a liar. :wink:

1 - 20 of 604 Posts
About this Discussion
603 Replies
157 Participants
DL175
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing