Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

561 - 580 of 604 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks SteVTEC. How much does a compression check usually cost? And where can I get an oil analysis? Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Dealership can do a compression check, or an independent mechanic. Or you can even DIY it, except that it's not easy on this car since I think getting to the rear spark plugs requires removal of the upper intake manifold. :roll: Basically you remove the spark plug wires, remove one spark plug at a time and replace it with a compression checker (measures through the spark plug hole) and crank the engine. It will measure peak pressure which should be greater than 150 psi and probably more like 200. The service manual probably has a specification for this.

For an oil analysis, Google Blackstone Labs or Oil Analyzers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Carbon said:
North Of 48 said:
Does anyone have the part number for a 2008 RAV4 metal VVT-i Oil line? I received my letter yesterday.
This is lists a subset some of the informative posts on this long thread. Part numbers included.

Post 23 has a TSB for the Avilon with the same engine. That technical service bulletin is not a recall, but identifies a spot to check when looking for an engine oil leak. In the event of a leak, it does not specify that the replacement part differs from the original. http://RAV4World.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20014&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=22

Page 4 Post #50 shows the older rubber oil hose http://RAV4World.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20014&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=49

Page 3 Post #36 shows the new hose with engine cover off, and Post 39 show newer metal tube with cover still in place. http://RAV4World.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20014&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=35

Page 5 Post: #82 says the new part is "installed in all of the RAV4s Limited V6s on 04/2008 and later is metal and the part number is 15772-31030. That date would seem to apply to build dates ofq Base and Sport too, based on later posts.

Page 9 Post: #134 has good info including a nice parts comparison out of the car. http://RAV4World.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20014&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=133

Post #336 endorses post 134 and adds some tips for doing the change.

15772-31030 is the all metal tube. Post #82 was first with that number. It was confirmed in other postings including #228. Post 82 stated # 15707-31030 is a part number with the rubber connection. Some posts have stated that # 15707-31030 will be installed when repairing earlier vehicles. RPM, confirmed by Xairmech, states that the upper banjo gaskets P/N is 90430-16012, 2 are required . The lower one piece gasket P/N is 90430-16016. RUV4 in post #317 pointed out that you can use a second one piece lower gasket (PN 90430-16016) on top instead of the two 90430-16012 gaskets.

Page 26 Post #380 posts "Limited Service Campaign to replace the VVT-i oil hose on certain 05-06 Avalons and 06 RAV4s with one that also has a rubber section.
Page 26 Post #382 posts a link to a PDF about that campaign.
Thanks for collecting all that carbon.. this should be on the first post.. :)

Rickl said:
I had mine replaced yesterday in Ontario as part of the Customer Satisfaction Campaign.

When I picked up the RAV and looked under the hood, it appeared that the work had not been done since the rubber section of hose was still there. Then I realized that it was a new piece of rubber attached to the old metal section of pipe.
So I just drove back from the dealership (about an hour's drive away).. took a look at the pics in the first few pages, and I'm not convinced they actually did anything!

Couldn't tell if the rubber part was new or not.. the steel parts certainly were not.
(It was starting to get dark out.. I'll have to check again in the morning..)

Thoughts?

I did ask them if I could get the steel tube part, but the reply was unfavorable..

> Thanks!
>
> Do you happen to know if the recall tubing is still made of rubber, or
> is it a steel tube?
>
> I was reading around, and some people received steel tubing
> replacements, and some received a rubber tube replacement.. I was hoping
> for the steel tubing.. :)
>
> (part #: 15772-31030 all metal line, instead of part # 04009-33131)

I am unsure, as we can only install what Toyota Canada supplies for each
specific model. We do not have any choices unfortunately.

·
Registered
66 Posts
oldskool75 said:
Carbon said:
North Of 48 said:
Does anyone have the part number for a 2008 RAV4 metal VVT-i Oil line? I received my letter yesterday.
This is lists a subset some of the informative posts on this long thread. Part numbers included.

Post 23 has a TSB for the Avilon with the same engine. That technical service bulletin is not a recall, but identifies a spot to check when looking for an engine oil leak. In the event of a leak, it does not specify that the replacement part differs from the original. http://RAV4World.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20014&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=22

Page 4 Post #50 shows the older rubber oil hose http://RAV4World.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20014&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=49

Page 3 Post #36 shows the new hose with engine cover off, and Post 39 show newer metal tube with cover still in place. http://RAV4World.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20014&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=35

Page 5 Post: #82 says the new part is "installed in all of the RAV4s Limited V6s on 04/2008 and later is metal and the part number is 15772-31030. That date would seem to apply to build dates ofq Base and Sport too, based on later posts.

Page 9 Post: #134 has good info including a nice parts comparison out of the car. http://RAV4World.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20014&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=133

Post #336 endorses post 134 and adds some tips for doing the change.

15772-31030 is the all metal tube. Post #82 was first with that number. It was confirmed in other postings including #228. Post 82 stated # 15707-31030 is a part number with the rubber connection. Some posts have stated that # 15707-31030 will be installed when repairing earlier vehicles. RPM, confirmed by Xairmech, states that the upper banjo gaskets P/N is 90430-16012, 2 are required . The lower one piece gasket P/N is 90430-16016. RUV4 in post #317 pointed out that you can use a second one piece lower gasket (PN 90430-16016) on top instead of the two 90430-16012 gaskets.

Page 26 Post #380 posts "Limited Service Campaign to replace the VVT-i oil hose on certain 05-06 Avalons and 06 RAV4s with one that also has a rubber section.
Page 26 Post #382 posts a link to a PDF about that campaign.
Thanks for collecting all that carbon.. this should be on the first post.. :)

Rickl said:
I had mine replaced yesterday in Ontario as part of the Customer Satisfaction Campaign.

When I picked up the RAV and looked under the hood, it appeared that the work had not been done since the rubber section of hose was still there. Then I realized that it was a new piece of rubber attached to the old metal section of pipe.
So I just drove back from the dealership (about an hour's drive away).. took a look at the pics in the first few pages, and I'm not convinced they actually did anything!

Couldn't tell if the rubber part was new or not.. the steel parts certainly were not.
(It was starting to get dark out.. I'll have to check again in the morning..)

Thoughts?

I did ask them if I could get the steel tube part, but the reply was unfavorable..

> Thanks!
>
> Do you happen to know if the recall tubing is still made of rubber, or
> is it a steel tube?
>
> I was reading around, and some people received steel tubing
> replacements, and some received a rubber tube replacement.. I was hoping
> for the steel tubing.. :)
>
> (part #: 15772-31030 all metal line, instead of part # 04009-33131)

I am unsure, as we can only install what Toyota Canada supplies for each
specific model. We do not have any choices unfortunately.

The pictures look like the tube is old but the clips around the rubber look to me like the newer "banjo" clips. I just had mine replaced with the rubber replacement tube. My metal tube looks new and the mechanic showed me the difference in the clips; basically the new clips around the rubber are layered with more metal not just one layer. It looks like you have the thicker clips. They most definitely should have replaced the metal portion of the part as well as the rubber. They showed me the entire assembly before putting it in.

I hope they replaced it, I hate to think any shop would fool around with this issue.
Best of luck,
B.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
SteVTEC said:
How did the dealership verify there was no engine damage? Did they do a compression check on all cylinders or stick a scope down the spark plug holes? If they didn't, demand that they do and document it. Don't take their word for it. You could also get checks like these done at an independent mechanic. I'd also get an oil analysis done just prior to the next oil change. Although it'll be difficult to prove anything without a baseline to work off of prior to the oil hose issue, the after effects of any engine damage would be seen in the oil analysis in the form of abnormally high wear.

Since there was still oil dripping out of the engine and burning I'm guessing everything is ok, but better safe than sorry. If any of their checks or your checks show the slightest hint of engine damage, demand that they replace it with a new engine.
It "sweats", not "gushes". You'd never even lose a cup of oil at the max. No need to be obsessive. Why do you hate Toyota??

m

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
m0ng00se said:
It "sweats", not "gushes". You'd never even lose a cup of oil at the max. No need to be obsessive. Why do you hate Toyota??

m
I don't know what's your problem is but people lost all oil and engine. Go and reread the whole thread.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
Update:
I finely got a check from Toyota for $29 that covers my metal tube and washers cost. There was no labor charge, as I did it myself. All I had to sent was letter, copy of my title and copy of receipt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
friendly_jacek said:
Update:
I finely got a check from Toyota for $29 that covers my metal tube and washers cost. There was no labor charge, as I did it myself. All I had to sent was letter, copy of my title and copy of receipt.
I did the same and got reimbursed for USD 199.62 (Parts +Labor)..Looks like they are ok with the all metal fix.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
sanmarino said:
Hello all, does anyone know if the 2009 rav4 3.5L is affected ?
No, any RAV4's built after April 2008 are not affected.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just bought a 2008 Rav4 V6 How can I tell if the line has been replaced

I just bought a 2008 Rav4 V6. I bought it from a non Toyota dealer. How can I tell if the oil line has been replaced or not?

·
16,418 Posts
Re: Just bought a 2008 Rav4 V6 How can I tell if the line has been replaced

rsttoole said:
I just bought a 2008 Rav4 V6. I bought it from a non Toyota dealer. How can I tell if the oil line has been replaced or not?
Go here and sign up:

http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/

Then enter the VIN of the vehicle. Next, go to "Service Records" and you will see all service that was done to the vehicle by Toyota dealers--including inspections, oil changes, and TSB's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I guess I joined the club

Hello all. I just joined the forum to add my story to the mix.

On Sunday my wife's 06 RAV V6 began dumping oil on the ground after we ran a few errands. Leesburg Toyota confirmed a ruptured oil supply hose and replaced it w/ the new rubber version. It appears there is no engine damage, but the idea of running with a couple quarts doesn't please me in the least, esp if that hose wasn't supplying oil to the valves adequately.

I adamantly argued for them to replace the rubber hose with the later model metal tube assembly but they said Toyota corporate wouldn't allow it. They also said they could charge me $295 to do the swap ... I said no thanks.

Appears as if I will have my shop install the metal tube assembly.

I'm thankful this mess didn't happen while we were driving on the highway, as no warning light came on.

It's remarkable Toyota didn't mandate fixing this issue properly given their choice to build new cars w/ the metal tubing post Apr '08.

·
16,418 Posts
Re: I guess I joined the club

robobxman said:
Appears as if I will have my shop install the metal tube assembly.

I'm thankful this mess didn't happen while we were driving on the highway, as no warning light came on.

It's remarkable Toyota didn't mandate fixing this issue properly given their choice to build new cars w/ the metal tubing post Apr '08.
The bean counters figured it cost less in labor costs to just replace the rubber hose. It's all about the dollars. Or yen. Or whatever.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had mine replaced at the dealership. They refused to install the metal line. When I expressed my concern about the oil fire stories on this forum, i was told "oil won't burn", amazing what they will say to save a dollar for the company.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I don't recall any stories about oil fires...and I'm not going to read 39 pages of posts to refresh my memory. But it is true that motor oil doesn't burn easily.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
BigSwede said:
I don't recall any stories about oil fires...and I'm not going to read 39 pages of posts to refresh my memory. But it is true that motor oil doesn't burn easily.
Unless it's vaporized by dripping on exhaust pipes.
There was a story on Rav4 burning up POSSIBLY due to oil line rapture. Nothing proven. Somewhere at the first 10 pages of this thread IIRC.

·
Registered
34 Posts
With the right amount of verbal persuasion, you can get the all metal line installed. I spoke to my dealership about it and they were able to go to bat for me. Head office agreed to the proper repair. When I went in to get the repair done, I asked the service adviser to make sure that I would get the right part installed. He was too lazy to get out of his chair. He simply said that there was instructions in my work order for new hose. Exactly as I feared, I ended up with a new assembly that consists of a section of rubber hose. I tore a strip off the adviser when I picked up the car. I ended up having to go in a second time. They got it right the second time.

Toyota has said the they erred with quality and they are learning from past sins. So, don't let them off the hook. Make them prove it. Even if you have had the repair done, go back for an all metal line. Sales have dropped enough on this side of the 49th that I think they have a better understanding of the importance of goodwill. It worth a lot more than a $10 part.

561 - 580 of 604 Posts
About this Discussion
603 Replies
157 Participants
DL175
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing