Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 605 Posts

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
The Drifter said:
This problem is more so the RUBBER than the metal tubes, reguardless of placement. The rubber hose all came from the same manufacturer, and by the looks of it, it seems to have just been one or more bad batches of hose.

-And im sorry to say it, the NEW part is still rubber. I dont see why they didnt make the updated part out of metal (im guessing either cost, or it would have been harder/impossible to install), but its still a rubber hose section joining two metal hoses.
I hate to disagree with the pro, but the junebug picture of revised 2008 part shows all metal, while my 2006 part is ~50% rubber.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
friendly_jacek said:
I hate to disagree with the pro, but the junebug picture of revised 2008 part shows all metal, while my 2006 part is ~50% rubber.
As I said, in his picture, the rubber hose is farther down behind that black cover with the foam lining:

Down in that area where the arrow is pointing. Now I could be wrong, as I dont really pay much attention to this stuff on newer RAV's :lol: but the last RAV I had to do this repair on, thats where the hose was.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm not a mechanic so I dont know if this idea is even feasible. I've seen where a guy (with a totally different vehicle) replaced a number of rubber hoses with wire mesh covered hoses mainly for appearance sake. If Toyota isnt going to replace this hose with an all metal part, would it be possible to use a metal mesh covered hose instead and gain any benefit in terms of it failing?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Can anyone who knows Toyota engines comment on whether other Toyota engines in other makes use a rubber hose sucessfully to perform the same function? If so, maybe (I hope to god) its just a hose quality problem.
Otherwise its a design flaw and we may be stuck with a repeating failure occuring every few years. In this case, will the repair always be on Toyota's tab if its a design flaw?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
miamisammy ... how many miles did you have on your Rav4 when this occurred?
Approx 46K miles. Luckily Im within the powertrain warranty.

Speaking of warranty, what has Toyota been doing for all the poor Avalon owners who are NOT within the warrany period??

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
miamisammy said:
Speaking of warranty, what has Toyota been doing for all the poor Avalon owners who are NOT within the warrany period??
Don't know ... I'm more interested to see if this is a MAJOR Quality problem with V6 engine IN RAV4 as you posted ...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
miamisammy said:
Can anyone who knows Toyota engines comment on whether other Toyota engines in other makes use a rubber hose sucessfully to perform the same function? If so, maybe (I hope to god) its just a hose quality problem.
Otherwise its a design flaw and we may be stuck with a repeating failure occuring every few years. In this case, will the repair always be on Toyota's tab if its a design flaw?
The Sienna's with the 2GR have yet to have this problem to my knowledge. And its not ALL vehicles with this engine that are having this problem, its more so a very large group of them. (as I said eariler, it could have possibly been just a bad batch of hose from the manufacturer.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The Sienna's with the 2GR have yet to have this problem to my knowledge. And its not ALL vehicles with this engine that are having this problem"

Thanks! Thats encouraging. Hopefully you are right about it potentially just being a batch of bad hoses.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I'm more interested to see if this is a MAJOR Quality problem with V6 engine IN RAV4 as you posted ...

If you feel the topic title is inappropriate ask the moderator to have it changed. I certainly dont mind given that I asked to have all these topics (including this one) deleted last night.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
miamisammy said:
I'm more interested to see if this is a MAJOR Quality problem with V6 engine IN RAV4 as you posted ...
If you feel the topic title is inappropriate ask the moderator to have it changed. I certainly dont mind given that I asked to have all these topics (including this one) deleted last night.
Ha... yeah... this topic has certainly kept our moderators busy :roll: Instead of DELETING all of the threads... we decided to delete all of them except this one... and let it run its course. I don't think it's that big a deal... but we did also (just now)... remove the word "MAJOR" from the title :p

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
What MAJOR LOL.

So let me get this right, have people been having this happen alot on this forum.
From what I am reading no. Is it a concern, yes then bring it to the dealer and have them take a look or fix this issue.

One thing I have seen, is people are not taking the time to check there oil there tire PSI or just a check of all fluids in a regular bases.

You should be check theses thing on a regular bases. If you do, you will caught something like this no?

IMO

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
OzZ said:
One thing I have seen, is people are not taking the time to check there oil there tire PSI or just a check of all fluids in a regular bases.

You should be check theses thing on a regular bases. If you do, you will caught something like this no?
No...not if the hose breaks, in which case the oil will drain in a matter of minutes as you drive.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
You should be check theses thing on a regular basesIf you do, you will caught something like this no?
Not necessarily, I check my wife's car before she leaves on long trips and there was no signs of oil leakage or any problem with our vehicle. By the time she reached Beckley WV on I77 the hose had failed and blown as much oil as it was capable of doing all over the highway. Luckily my wife got off the highway within minutes of seeing smoke from all the oil blown all over the exhaust system. We were not one of the lucky ones who only experience this issue as a "slow leak".

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1218733-post3/

Can anyone comment on the link above which appears to be from a certified Toyota mechanic and which would SEEM to indicate its more than just a batch of bad hoses, hence his statement that an all metal part is being sent out as a replacement. I believe it has been stated here that there is NO all metal replacement part.

·
Registered
437 Posts
For what its worth, those who are concerned about having the rubber or metal piece in their old or newer rav, this quote from the Tundra Solutions mite help:

Starting in 4/08 "ALL" 2GR's SHOULD have the new metal line from the Factory when built.
2GRs being the Engine series, in our case specifically 2GR-FE

take it for what its worth to you.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,525 Posts
skyscam said:
For what its worth, those who are concerned about having the rubber or metal piece in their old or newer rav, this quote from the Tundra Solutions mite help:

Starting in 4/08 "ALL" 2GR's SHOULD have the new metal line from the Factory when built.
2GRs being the Engine series, in our case specifically 2GR-FE

take it for what its worth to you.
Yes, and that's from a guy named Victor, who is an MDT/Shop Foreman with Findlay Toyota and an ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician with 24 years of Toyota experience. That, combined with my photographic evidence of the metal line on my late build '08, make me tend to believe him.

41 - 60 of 605 Posts