Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

581 - 600 of 604 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
2GR-FE LSC 90K oil line recall-Hose failure; Dealer won't fix engine damage. WARNING

I started a new thread on this at
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/88494-2gr-fev6-lsc90k-recall-oil-line-fails-dealer-wont-cover-damages-warning.html

We've been beating the this oil line issue to death including the benefit of using the all metal oil line. But this is NEW NEWS - I believe a first. A recalled oil hose in a 2006 Rav4 failed in less than 17,000 miles and the dealer won't cover the cost of the replacement hose or the significant ancillary engine damage despite the March 2013 date noted in the LSC 90K documents sent to customers and dealers by Toyota.

I am posting this here since many of you are probably subcribed to be notified of new posts to this thread.

This is enough to make you sick !!!!!!

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have an 07, I replaced the original hose with rubber section with the new all metal hose tonight. Thanks for RPM for posting instructions in post #132. Took me 1.5 hours from start to finish. It's not very difficult. The hardest part I found was getting enough leverage to crack the bottom oil line bolt.

I would suggest to remove the lower bolt of the oil hose first and let the oil drip on to a rag or small catch can. That way, you get barely any oil coming out when you remove the top bolt. Doing it this way, it wasn't messy at all.

The amount of oil lost is so small when doing the swap, I didn't bother topping it up.

Also, I wasn't able to get my torque wrench on the bolts, didn't have clearance to get it on the top bolt and getting it on the bottom bolt was too awkward. Just used a spanner on the top bolt and a ratchet with an 8" extension on the bottom bolt. I torqued them to feel....you can feel the resistance when they snug up. I would think they would be hard to strip, they look pretty heavy duty.

Took it for a test drive and no leaks, all is good. Now I have some peace of mind this oil line won't blow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good thing I have been reading up on the RAV4 forum. Our info is in the my signature, never had a problem with the rubber hose.

I just now ordered the all metal tubing oil line, piece of mind for $23.70 shipped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dealer recently replaced the oil line per this recall:
the recall affects 128,800 Avalon (2007 – 2009 model year) and 89,000 RAV4 V6 (2007 – 2009 model year) in the US.

The problem with them is a rubber portion of the oil supply hose for the VVT-i actuator, which may degrade over time and may cause oil to leak from the VVT-i oil hose. This in turn would cause abnormal engine noise and the oil pressure light to illuminate.

·
Registered
148 Posts
where can i look in my engine bay to see if this hose has been replaced already or not? a location would be nice, thanks guys.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
where can i look in my engine bay to see if this hose has been replaced already or not? a location would be nice, thanks guys.
Look over on the passenger side, just to the left of the plastic engine cover. In the first picture you can see the all metal pipe next to the A/C pressure sensor (black plug with blue connectors). The second picture shows the metal pipe in more detail. The last picture shows the original rubber hose. The replacement hose is supposed to have a yellow stripe on it:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had the very same issue on my 2007 Camry XLE V6 w/ the 2GE-FE engine ... at 46000 miles the rubber clamp had worn through the rubber hose. I saw a low oil pressure light ... immediately pulled to the side of the highway and turned off the engine. I had it towed to the nearest Toyota dealer. Although it was out of warranty, I was able to talk them into coverage as it was clearly a faulty design on their part.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I cant see the pics on post #132 and I am logged in. Why cant I see the pics? I need to replace this oil line too.........

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have successfully repaired this oil hose. Buy some transmission or power steering bulk hose. 3/8" will fit. Take the hose assembly off, cut off the crimps, cut a new piece of hose the same length, attach with high pressure clamps (not worm clamps) and reassemble. Takes me about 45 minutes. This will get the vehicle back on the road. The new one piece assembly is better, but this repair will last many years.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Greetings RAV4ers. I have a 2008 Limited V6 4WD with 84K (just bought used). Based on the photos shown, I have an original rubber hose with no yellow stripe. Is this something the dealership should do under warranty (I have Toyota Platinum Warranty for another 36k miles)?

·
16,418 Posts
Greetings RAV4ers. I have a 2008 Limited V6 4WD with 84K (just bought used). Based on the photos shown, I have an original rubber hose with no yellow stripe. Is this something the dealership should do under warranty (I have Toyota Platinum Warranty for another 36k miles)?
1. Go here and sign up:

Toyota Owners Official Web Site: Service Coupons, Owner's Manuals, Service Scheduling And More

Then enter the VIN of the vehicle. Next, go to "Service Records" and you will see all service that was done to the vehicle by Toyota dealers--including inspections, oil changes, and TSB's. See if the oil hose has been replaced.

2. Click on this link, print out the service bulletin, and take it to your dealer. It should be covered under your warranty:

T-CP-90K-0001-W-Limited Service Campaign for VVT-i oil hose replacement in 2GR-FE

·
Registered
71 Posts
1. Go here and sign up:

Toyota Owners Official Web Site: Service Coupons, Owner's Manuals, Service Scheduling And More

Then enter the VIN of the vehicle. Next, go to "Service Records" and you will see all service that was done to the vehicle by Toyota dealers--including inspections, oil changes, and TSB's. See if the oil hose has been replaced.

2. Click on this link, print out the service bulletin, and take it to your dealer. It should be covered under your warranty:

T-CP-90K-0001-W-Limited Service Campaign for VVT-i oil hose replacement in 2GR-FE
I looked at the history and saw this was done, however it is still a rubber hose and I don't see the yellow mark. Should I be concerned this rubber hose will break again or should I be fine?

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
From the earlier posts - this is only for the '09 and earlier V6 Rav4s? As in the '10+ are okay?

·
16,418 Posts
From the earlier posts - this is only for the '09 and earlier V6 Rav4s? As in the '10+ are okay?
My 2008 was built in July of '08 and had the metal oil pipe installed from the factory. So any V6 RAV4 built after that is OK.

581 - 600 of 604 Posts
About this Discussion
603 Replies
157 Participants
DL175
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing