Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 605 Posts

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
I think junebug showed convincingly in his picture that the new part is metal.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced the rubber hose should be recalled.
We are talking about fairly rapid oil loss on highway that can lead to engine seizure in the middle of the road with a potential for fire or accident. When I had Subaru, there were numerous recalls for issues that were not as critical. Feels like Toyota is not as proactive with handling the quality issues.

People who had the issue should report it to NHTSA to "motivate" Toyota to do the right thing. Here is the link: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

If there is no recall or TSB, I'm going to replace the hose myself, as the cost is negligible ($58 as per the other thread on this board). Hopefully, the part will be available soon.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Did you read Drifter's response in post# 43 ?
I believe he said he has already worked on one just like in the photo and has had to replace a rubber hose that is hidden BEHIND the sponge and out of view in the picture. Seems conclusive to me. The only point of confusion I still have is how many types of replacements have been tried by Toyota and is it possible there is an all metal part nobody on this board has seen yet. The mechanic on the Tundra board SEEMED to say there is a metal replacement. Whether he has actually seen the new part and knows for a fact that the "hidden" section is also metal is not known yet.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,617 Posts
miamisammy said:
Did you read Drifter's response in post# 43 ?
I believe he said he has already worked on one just like in the photo and has had to replace a rubber hose that is hidden BEHIND the sponge and out of view in the picture. Seems conclusive to me.
Did YOU read Drifter's response in post #43? Here's a direct quote:

------------
Down in that area where the arrow is pointing. Now I could be wrong, as I dont really pay much attention to this stuff on newer RAV's, but the last RAV I had to do this repair on, thats where the hose was.
------------

That seems conclusive to you? Sorry, but I would take the word of a master certified ASE technician with 24 years of Toyota experience over a technician who was first certified a little over 1 year ago. No disrespect to Drifter, who is a friendly, knowledgeable, and valuable member of these forums, but I think he may be misremembering something here. There is very little foam inside my cover, and I can shine my light down the hole and see way down in there. All I see is metal, no rubber hose. If I have to take off the plastic cover and take a picture, I'll do it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
You can differentiate pretty easily which engines have the all metal hose and which engines have the 50/50 hoses. The rubber is easily visible on the 50/50 hoses as shown in one of the pictures. I highly doubt that there would be only an inch or so of unviewable rubber at the bottom of those metal tubes in the "newer" engines.

Keep in mind that the majority of the problems occurred in 2005 Avalons. It may have bleed over to a few 2006 RAVs. If you visually check and only see a metal hose, you should be fine. I didn't even bother looking in mine.

8)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
"That seems conclusive to you? "

We'll maybe not totally conclusive. The part I was focusing on was "but the last RAV I had to do this repair on, thats where the hose was." Seemed unlikely someone would imagine replacing a completely hidden section of hose. I admit the mind can play strange tricks as mine does more often than I'd like ;)

Can you actually see the entire section of pipe behind the cover? If so I'll take your word for it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I didn't even bother looking in mine.
Perhaps you should. Your profile says you have a 2007. Mine is a 2007 and had the catastrophic variety of this failure leaving my wife stranded on the side of the highway far away from home.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Even if mine did have the 50/50 hose, I can't mess with it anyways since there is no replacement for it. Also, I am not going to mess with something that isn't broke, at this point.

If this is the same situation as the one in which a lot of use purchased a gas fume canister shield to prevent that canister from flying off, at least we can do something about it because there is a fix or prevention.

I think it was Drifter who said that there may have just been a bad batch of hoses that were installed. You won't know until it happens. Even then, Toyota would have to cover it under its warranty, assuming it broke during that time frame.

I don't mean to downplay this potential problem, but there has been a fix with the all metal hoses. Repairs of the 50/50 hoses will continue if those hoses should fail, which may include engine replacement and lawsuites. There's no other solution at this point, as I can see.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I think it was Drifter who said that there may have just been a bad batch of hoses that were installed
If as junebug and others have made a good case for, the new part is all metal, why would Toyota use a more expensive metal part if the only problem is a batch of hoses? Just replace the bad hoses with good ones. Doesnt seem to me Toyota thinks the problem is just a bad batch. Also the master mechanic with 24 years experience over on the Tundra board said....

Sounds like the VVT-I line RUBBER HOSE split, LIKE THEY ALL DO.
LIKE THEY ALL DO

If it were me, I would not wait for this to fail. I'd print out the TSB on the Avalon and hound my dealer to replace the part. And if I had to escalate the issue to Toyota mgmt, the BBB, my state attorney general's office, I would do so. It is despicable that Toyota has done nothing to warn Rav4 owners about this potential problem.

·
Registered
484 Posts
miamisammy said:
I'd print out the TSB on the Avalon and hound my dealer to replace the part.
While I understand this has the potential to be a serious problem and could indeed affect me with my early 06 Rav, I do not think for one minute going in to my Toyota Service dept with an Avalon TSB and asking for the fix will get me anywhere unless the hose in MY engine is leaking. I would not think the Service dept would receive payment from Corporate Toyota with no specific RAV TSB. Perhaps Drifter can confirm/deny this.

·
Registered
253 Posts
miamisammy said:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1218733-post3/

Can anyone comment on the link above which appears to be from a certified Toyota mechanic and which would SEEM to indicate its more than just a batch of bad hoses, hence his statement that an all metal part is being sent out as a replacement. I believe it has been stated here that there is NO all metal replacement part.
Well Guys. Should I search for a solution to this before it becomes a problem down the road in Greece ? And if it happens in the courtyside I will be S.O .Luck with no waranty. Even if I catch it very early ,I will not be able to ever get the part over there.

How should I go about it if there is no applicable TSB . My salesman said he will do anything I need, so that I fill out the Toyota questionaire very favorably.

The Avalon TSB says BEFORE THE PRODUCTION CHANGE .

Is this something to be concerned with, on the 2009 engine? And if so
should I ask him to have his dealership replace this , or at least back order the part.

Now you have me checking the oil weekly .

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
RAV4ATHENS said:
Well Guys. Should I search for a solution to this before it becomes a problem down the road in Greece ? And if it happens in the courtyside I will be S.O .Luck with no waranty. Even if I catch it very early ,I will not be able to ever get the part over there.
<snip>
should I ask him to have his dealership replace this , or at least back order the part.

If you were to read the thread you would find it is not applicable to the 2009s. I know it is a lot to wade thru.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've been watching this thread play out. It's been quite interesting to say the least.
At the end of it all though, it comes down to this:
Yes, the 06-early 08 RAV4 V6's have a potentially defective component.
Having an early 08 model, this potentially effects me.
So, it comes down to one of a few options for anyone in this situation.
First, do nothing, and hope either a TSB comes out for the RAV4, that the failure does not occur, or if it occurs deal with the warranty claim.
Second, go to Toyota, order the all metal tube and go on the backorder. If/when the part arrives, either pay Toyota to replace it to maintain the warranty or do it myself and void the warranty.
Third, do a DIY repair similar to what Drifter mentioned, voiding the warranty.
Would I like Toyota to release a TSB and take care of this, of course. But the fact is Toyota will only do that if/when enough RAV4's fail under warranty so as the cost of replacing the hoses on all the RAV4's becomes cheaper then all the engine repairs/replacements that may occur.
Going into Toyota with the Avalon TSB will get me nowhere as will going in and asking them to replace a currently serviceable hose with no defects.
Plus, none of this gets me anywhere when the replacement part is not available.

While I do not mean to dismiss the potential failure or results of a failure. I also have to be realistic in what I can expect to be done about it. Which is very little without parts in stock and/or a TSB that covers my vehicle.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
miamisammy said:
The whole thread is even more interesting:

http://www.camryforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=6e5c59065841a774eacd231e55d0125d&p=19036#post19036

People with the same issue in Camry are denied powertrain warranty coverage and asked for $550-700 for a very simple repair and $58 parts.

What a rip off! I guess it pays to do some research before talking to stealerships.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
RUV4 said:
Second, go to Toyota, order the all metal tube and go on the backorder. If/when the part arrives, either pay Toyota to replace it to maintain the warranty or do it myself and void the warranty.
I don't see how the DIY work would void warranty, unless one manages to screw up the engine. I may want to choose that route preventively when the part becomes available and if (big if) recall comes later down the road, one would be reimbursed for the cost of the parts.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Carbon said:
RAV4ATHENS said:
<snip>

If you were to read the thread you would find it is not applicable to the 2009s. I know it is a lot to wade thru.

I am sorry I must have missed it. I have been reading this thread and a few others religiously to gather as much info as to what to watch out for TSB and maintenance wise.

Where did it say that it was not possible to be a problem for the 2009s. I just thought I read that it is possible on any toyota V6 from avalon etc 2GR engine after a fairly substantial amount of miles, whch is what I anticipate racking up overseas on this car.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Carbon said:
RAV4ATHENS said:
<snip>

Well after rereading 6 pages I only see reference to end of 2008 production engines but still discussions as to half metal and hidden rubber parts under foam that you can not see without removing a cover , so I think I should have a look at it regardless of the year .

I still did not find the definitive "2009 is an all metal hose "posted anywhere in the 6 pages I read again. And I will ask for the part # that Miami is mentioning,and if it replaces a 2009 hose.

Carbon, I am sorry if I wasted your time . NOT

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2008 RAV4 Limited V6 that was manufactured on 04/2008 that I took to my local Toyota dealer today (Burt Toyota in Denver CO.) and had the person in parts check the information in their computer and it shows the parts for the RAV4 Limited V6s listed in this discussion.

The part # 15707-31030 is the one with the rubber connection.

The replacement part that was installed in all of the RAV4s Limited V6s on 04/2008 and later is metal and the part number is 15772-31030.

The person in the parts department showed me both parts and then I took my RAV4 through the service department and the service manager checked the hose in my vehicle and showed me that mine has the metal hose.

Hope this information helps

61 - 80 of 605 Posts