Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 605 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
certifier49 said:
I have a 2008 RAV4 Limited V6 that was manufactured on 04/2008 that I took to my local Toyota dealer today (Burt Toyota in Denver CO.) and had the person in parts check the information in their computer and it shows the parts for the RAV4 Limited V6s listed in this discussion.

The part # 15707-31030 is the one with the rubber connection.

The replacement part that was installed in all of the RAV4s Limited V6s on 04/2008 and later is metal and the part number is 15772-31030.

The person in the parts department showed me both parts and then I took my RAV4 through the service department and the service manager checked the hose in my vehicle and showed me that mine has the metal hose.

Hope this information helps
Well that makes things absolutely clear .

Since mine is an 09 I assume mine has the metal hose also.

I will have the mechanic check just to be 100% certain

Thank you for your excellent explanation

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
http://www.camryforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19586&postcount=7

From the link above...
The TSB for the Avalon was for a leaky VVTi oil hose due to the clamp between the rubber hose and metal piping. The updated VVTi hose in the TSB is already being used in the 07 Camry V6. What is happening now with the updated hose that it is no longer leaking at the clamp- is it leaking due to a rupture in the rubber portion of the line. This rupture allows oil to practically pour out of the engine in a fast rate when the engine is running --> far worse than the original oil leaks past the clamps.

·
Registered
253 Posts
miamisammy said:
http://www.camryforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19586&postcount=7

From the link above...
The TSB for the Avalon was for a leaky VVTi oil hose due to the clamp between the rubber hose and metal piping. The updated VVTi hose in the TSB is already being used in the 07 Camry V6. What is happening now with the updated hose that it is no longer leaking at the clamp- is it leaking due to a rupture in the rubber portion of the line. This rupture allows oil to practically pour out of the engine in a fast rate when the engine is running --> far worse than the original oil leaks past the clamps.

MIAMI, to whom are you responding?

Are you refuteing what I said in my post immediately before yours, or responding to someone else?

If you are responding to someone else excuse me , my mistake.

If you are responding to me , what does this have to do with the 2009 RAVs .

The additional info, confuses me as to what you are applying it to ?

I hope you are directing your comments to someone else and I can go by what certifier49 said in post # 82.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Are you refuteing what I said in my post immediately before yours, or responding to someone else?
No, my post had nothing to do with your post or any post on this thread.
What I posted was a link (and the content) of a post from a different forum basically giving a history of the attempted fixes by Toyota . I have no reason to doubt post# 82.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
The replacement part that was installed in all of the RAV4s Limited V6s on 04/2008 and later is metal and the part number is 15772-31030.
Certifier, thanks for posting that new part#. I'm going to call the dealership where my car is stranded and make sure thats the one they ordered. When I called them last week, the part they cite as being backordered is the old one, not 15772-31030.

·
Registered
253 Posts
miamisammy said:
No, my post had nothing to do with your post or any post on this thread.
What I posted was a link (and the content) of a post from a different forum basically giving a history of the attempted fixes by Toyota . I have no reason to doubt post# 82.
Thx for clearing that up . Some other forums (edmunds) have replies categorized by refering to whom the post was replying to.

This forum does not , Thus the problem for me to follow the different comments .

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
friendly_jacek said:
RUV4 said:
Second, go to Toyota, order the all metal tube and go on the backorder. If/when the part arrives, either pay Toyota to replace it to maintain the warranty or do it myself and void the warranty.
I don't see how the DIY work would void warranty, unless one manages to screw up the engine. I may want to choose that route preventively when the part becomes available and if (big if) recall comes later down the road, one would be reimbursed for the cost of the parts.
friendly_jacek, I would agree. Installing a Toyota authorized replacement part should definitely not affect the warranty.

certifier49, RUV4, thanks for your informative posts on affected vehicles and replacement part numbers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a girl friend here who had her 2006 RAV4 catch on fire and literally burn down last year; happened down in the canyon so there was no one to help. Leaking oil line is what caused her fire.

I am glad mine is an '08.

Thanks to all who have posted w/ help/ideas especially Toyota tech's.

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
certifier49 said:
I have a 2008 RAV4 Limited V6 that was manufactured on 04/2008 that I took to my local Toyota dealer today (Burt Toyota in Denver CO.) and had the person in parts check the information in their computer and it shows the parts for the RAV4 Limited V6s listed in this discussion.

The person in the parts department showed me both parts and then I took my RAV4 through the service department and the service manager checked the hose in my vehicle and showed me that mine has the metal hose.

Very good info, thank you. How did you determine what month/year your engine was produced? I suppose it is in the VIN but I've no idea how to decode it. Owning two '08 V6 RAV's my concern is obvious especially since one was purchased in 2007.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As a data point, my wife's Rav 4 V6 Ltd starting leaking oil...
I smelled something odd, but wasn't sure if it was a car near me.
Then I continued to smell something odd.
Then the engine starting sounding noticeably different.
I turned off the radio and commented to my daughter, "Hear that?
Somethings wrong." She could hear it also.

We weren't far from the house, so I continued home, parked
it in the garage, then looked underneath: it was dripping oil!

The hood wouldn't open, also. Since someone had rear-ended
me at low speeds and I just had gotten the car back, I called
the lady with the repair shop, and she had it towed back to Fairfax Toyota.

The service department confirmed that a hose was loose, and
fixed that, but then called back to say the engine main seal
was also leaking. They are fixing both under warrantee. BTW,
the engine was almost out of oil.

I'm thinking that when they put it up on a lift or something, the
hose pulled loose. The hood might be from the accident, maybe not.

One question: why didn't the oil pressure light come on?
There should have been some kind of warning. If I could hear
the difference in engine note, then a sensor should have detected
the issue.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
As was discussed in another recent thread, in your circumstance oil pressure doesn't drop until the oil pick-up tube for the oil pump sucks air. Since your light didn't come on, it is entirely possible there was still enough oil for the pump to keep it circulating and therefore there is no low oil level related damage. Assuming your pressure sensor and light were operating properly, of course...

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
RTexasF said:
certifier49 said:

Very good info, thank you. How did you determine what month/year your engine was produced? I suppose it is in the VIN but I've no idea how to decode it. Owning two '08 V6 RAV's my concern is obvious especially since one was purchased in 2007.
Note "all of the RAV4s Limited V6s on 04/2008 and later is metal and the part number is 15772-31030."

So that statement would apply to build of the car, not the build date of the engines. On the other hand, I guess the statement does not directly apply to your base. :)

Note that comparing photos, as I interpret it, it's easy to see which one you have. While the new one may, (based on The DrifterPost: #19 PostPosted: February 27, 2009, 8:29 pm ) have some rubber at the bottom covered by the plastic cover on the side, the older one -- the subject of the TSBs-- has rubber easily seen. See friendly_jacek Post: #50 for a photo of the older one.

This is not to say that the new one, or any part, will never fail.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The dealership that I took my vehicle to said that the problem that has been discussed here has to do with an oil line hose not an engine.

If the date that the vehicle was assembled is after 04/2008 the factory installed the metal oil line hose and that part number is 15772-31030.

If they assembled the vehicle before 04/2008 the oil line hose that they used was part # 15707-31030 which is the hose with the rubber connection.

If someone needs to have the oil line hose on a RAV4 V6 replaced the new hose will be the meltal oil line hose part #15772-31030 regardless of when the engine was made.

·
Registered
78 Posts
miamisammy said:
"There were problems with teh V6 Camry engines. No major problems with the RAV4 V6 ones"

Try calling a Toyota dealer and ask for the parts department. Ask the guy for Part 15707-31030 "Pipe Sub-AS". .......
That part number does not show up on Google - if there were some sort of demand, it should.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
That part number does not show up on Google - if there were some sort of demand, it should.
You are responding to a very old post. Try catching up with all the newer information on this thread. If you doubt the demand for the replacement part, try calling your toyota dealer and ask them how long they have been waiting for them.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Very old post? This whole thread is no more than 8 days old...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
FWIW, L&S Toyota in Beckley WV has treated us magnificently especially given that they know we are from out of state and have little alternative to having them do the work. They provided a rental with no haggling (a very nice Grand Caravan) and have assured us this will be fixed with the all metal part and will be covered under the power train warranty. Service manager has been very appologetic for this problem. (Ive heard on other forums that some dealers are trying to screw owners who have more than 36K miles by claiming this problem is not power train). L&S is a class act!!

The only thing I would do differently if I were Toyota is to make sure any rental or loaner is a Toyota vechicle. Not good to put loyal Toyota owners in a non-Toyota vehicle since they could end up liking it more.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
miamisammy said:
The only thing I would do differently if I were Toyota is to make sure any rental or loaner is a Toyota vechicle. Not good to put loyal Toyota owners in a non-Toyota vehicle since they could end up liking it more.
or appreciate their Toyota's even more :D

J

·
0 Posts
Massive oil leak on V6- replacement hose

2007 Rav4, v6, 67,000 miles
Last Saturday as I was entering I95, heard a noise like a branch was caught under the front ( actually valves running out of oil). The problem was with an 4" rubber hose connecting banjo fitting from the oil pump to the valve cover. ( Right side near the fire wall) The oil loss was 3 qts in 1/4 mile or less at 15 MPH. Based on my experience with banjo fittings on a 1975 Sabb diesel schooner, banjo fitting will eventually cut into rubber line -at the worst possible time.

Bristol CT Toyota both service and parts were clueless on this problem. Parts manager said that some change was made but did not know what it was. Service manager had never heard of the problem. See other notes- apparently the rubber tube will be eliminated with a solid steel tube between the fittings. Until this part is available, I plan to install a heavy duty high pressure hose. The stock hose 3/8" ID and .640" OD. I used a match to get out of the bind but this week I plan to install a .750" OD hose- not sure yet if there is enough clearance.

Replacing the hose is not that difficult- You need long handled needle pliers to remove the lower banjo clip. Only the plastic engine cover needs to be removed. There is a plastic cover running aside the rubber line but I will not take this off until I put the new hose on and use screw type hose clamp.

At 120,000 miles I either replace the hose or install the new all steel line.

I will take comments.

81 - 100 of 605 Posts