Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just picked up an '02 4x4 L tonight and it happened to be snowing. I slam on the brakes and notice ABS doesn't kick in and the vehicle swerves even at low speeds and can be difficult to control. There is no ABS indicator lighting up on the dash to indicate any trouble. ABS is standard on this model, isn't it? Any ideas what to look at? Thanks!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats just great...... i dont suppose this is something that could be fairly easily retrofitted.... i dont like the idea of the wife driving a car without abs in the new england weather. i just find it odd it wouldnt come standard with the 4x4 option i guess.

·
Registered
881 Posts
robr said:
We just picked up an '02 4x4 L tonight and it happened to be snowing. I slam on the brakes and notice ABS doesn't kick in and the vehicle swerves even at low speeds and can be difficult to control. There is no ABS indicator lighting up on the dash to indicate any trouble. ABS is standard on this model, isn't it? Any ideas what to look at? Thanks!
If it pulls to one side or the other your front brakes are probably seized up. When I bought mine I had to pull the slider pins and lube them with aluminum antisieze. On a flat road you should be able to brake to the point of locking the wheels with your hands off the steering wheel and it should still go straight.

·
Registered
986 Posts
A vehicle will skid and slide around in the snow whether it has ABS or not, so don't jump to conclusions just yet. It is true that the Ravs didn't come with ABS standard until 2004, but many of them did come with it installed as an option, however mine did not.

Installing ABS is not feasible because the parts alone would cost a few thousand dollars, and labor would also be very costly.

I can tell you right now that a car with no ABS and snow tires will beat the pants off a car with all-season tires and ABS. Moral of the story- if you are keeping the Rav and are concerned about driving in the snow, get a set of snow tires for the winter like I have always done.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Jeff 100% is right. The ABS is nothing compared to a good set of snow tires.

ABS will not help the stability of the car while you are driving but the snow tires will dramatically.

I can do a heavy brake on slippery slush and the ABS does not even kick in because the tire is not slipping. However if I had my all-seasons I would be hearing a plastic machine gun noise and end up way past the stop sign.

ABS does work but for the winter you will be just fine with the tires.

The next step would practice and learn driving techniques in the snow/ ice conditions. Also learn the tricks you can do with the all wheel drive in those conditions.

Good luck

Walt

·
Registered
986 Posts
ABS was optional on all Ravs until 2004, so some of us have it and some of us don't.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wait a minute, his rav is an L, don't all L models came with ABS? My 01 L has ABS. I don't remeber deciding to get or not to get ABS when I ordered my L. I swore ABS is standard on all 01+ Ls. No?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it's apparently not. i've since found a couple of other people with L models without ABS and had the dealership generate a new window sticker, no ABS mentioned. no ABS lights on the dash, so I guess we can conclude that in 2002 at least, ABS was an option even with the L package.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
ccaddy said:
What are you guys talking about ?
My 98 and 2000 RAV's had/have ABS .
ABS has always been (and still is, unlike in the US) optional in Canada. Your 2000 is like mine and it has what was called "Package B", which included a whole lot of other stuff plus ABS.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
robr said:
it's apparently not. i've since found a couple of other people with L models without ABS and had the dealership generate a new window sticker, no ABS mentioned. no ABS lights on the dash, so I guess we can conclude that in 2002 at least, ABS was an option even with the L package.

Is that the best way to determine if you have ABS, [email protected]@K of the ABS light on the dash?

I just purchased a 2003 "L" and would like to know whether or not I have it.

I wasn't aware that you could go to the dealership to have a window sticker gererated :eek: Is there a charge for this service? Is it possible for me to get one here in the United States?

·
Registered
986 Posts
The easiest way to determine if you have ABS is to stomp on your brake pedal while going 20-30 mph (of course not while there are other cars around). If you come to a squealing stop then you don't have ABS. If you feel the brake pedal vibrate and hear strange groaning noises, and only hear a few chirps or short squeals from the tires, that means you have ABS.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jeff said:
If you feel the brake pedal vibrate and hear strange groaning noises, and only hear a few chirps or short squeals from the tires, that means you have ABS.
And still, that groaning, grinding and the vibrations scare me. :lol:

I find it rather odd that ABS wasn't standard, it's certainly been standard here in South Africa for all 4.2's. Mind you, it seems that our standard (and only) offering is almost equivalent to the US's L version, minus only the heated mirrors which are completely unnecessary here.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
robr said:

I went to the dealer and had them print me out a new window sticker. They sure did not want to do it. Part dept. sent me to Service and Service sent me to Sales, Sales told me NO!

I went back to parts and told them that I wanted to see if I had "heated" mirrors. From their intranet he was able to pull a report called VehicleReportDetail.asp Awesome report!! Shows me everything and no I don't have "heated" mirrors, which I don't need where I live. Nor do I have ABS :cry: He was kind enough to print the report out for me (no charge).

It also shows that it was first sold 04/06/03 Might account for the low miles 19,000 of an 03 (low for southern California)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is that the best way to determine if you have ABS, [email protected]@K of the ABS light on the dash?
Look for a boxy device under the hood with about 4 or 5 "hardline tubes" coming out of it.

On some cars, this "box" is near the brake booster, on some it is not. IIRC, on the RAV it is on the left side of the engine bay, opposite the side with the brake fluid and booster.

That "box" is what determines which brake gets how much fluid and when.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Jeff said:
The easiest way to determine if you have ABS is to stomp on your brake pedal while going 20-30 mph (of course not while there are other cars around). If you come to a squealing stop then you don't have ABS. If you feel the brake pedal vibrate and hear strange groaning noises, and only hear a few chirps or short squeals from the tires, that means you have ABS.
How about opening up the bonnet.. or hood ... you can see the ABS unit very clearly on the right side of the car. It's a metal box with about 5 small metal piping coming out of it. If it's not there. Then you don't have ABS.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The RAV is the first car i had with ABS. The first time i notice it kicking in was on a patch of icy road - it made a horrible grinding noise, which was actually normal. I sometimes wonder what decisions are made to determine what features should go in a car for different countries? Price? Safety? Feature match with rivals? The more toys the merrier!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would not buy a car without ABS.. I've had it in my last car.. had to use it last night in the RAV.. saved a bit of panel damage at least when some idiot decided to drive across my path... everything flung forward.. sunroof cover closed... driver slightly shaked for a few minutes.... but just as important, car still undamaged. So therefore no choice except to get the top of the line RAV4. Toyota Aust has a habit of making a lot of things optional.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts