Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Read Only
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking foward to getting an exhaust pipe, but I don't know what would be best for me. I don't know much about modding cars, so I am confused about what an exhaust pipe does. Can I just get the tip of an exhaust pipe where it's just chrome instead of my rusty black steel (stock) one or do I have to purchase like a whole exhaust pipe system where it produces louder sound also? What are the pros and cons of each? Does the one with the "louder" sound give any performance gains? What I really want is a minor deep sound, not so loud like all those streetcars, but just not so loud deeper sound with a new chrome tip..

·
Registered
396 Posts
You can try this site on how stuff works. Here's a link directly to their muffler info.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler.htm

It really all depends on what you want to change the muffler for. If you're going just for looks, just change the muffler tip. If you want a bit of a performance boost then a whole cat-back system is the way to go. Mind you, its still not going to be a whiplash effect boost, but its still something in the very limited Rav4 selection of performance mods. I just changed mine with a bolt on Tanabe exhaust system.

·
Read Only
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, cool.... are there also levels of how it would sound? Like if I were to get one, I wouldn't want that's too loud.. How much would a muffler tip and a whole new system cost if I were to do it at the OEM Toyota (my dealer)'s place compared to aftermarket's place? Thanks.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sure, there are different levels of sound with different types of mufflers. Some which sound loud might also come with a silencer that you can install if you want the benefits of a less restrictive exhaust but not the loud sound that attracts attention. Mine has the optional baffle silencer which I did have installed. I think, not sure, that Magnaflow or Borla has a new universal muffler with an adjustable silencer so you can actually control the noise level coming from your exhaust. I couldn't tell you the cost from the dealer in terms of installation. After market, it could be around $30-$100 depending on whether you're just installing a tip or a bolt on package. If you're going for custom piping, that's gonna cost more obviously. Best bet is to actually go to a good muffler shop and ask around for cost of labor and parts. I'd also look into shops that specialize more in working with imports as they're more apt to know what to do if your car is lowered, has aftermarket parts that might interfere with your installion, or you have questions on aftermarket performance exhausts in terms of looks, sounds, and performance.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The more free-flowing an exhaust is, the more performance you free up, and the louder it is. But gains are typically very minimal on anything short of a v8 with a very restrictive stock exhaust.

You're not really going to change the tone with different exhausts. Just the decibels. A 4 cylinder's always going to sound like a 4 cylinder. If you put in a silencer, you're just making the system more restrictive again.

For performance, exhaust is the last place to look. It typically has the least performance return for the money.

If your tip is rusting you should check the rest of the system. Might be a good excuse for a catback anyway.

But from the sounds of it, I'd recommend just putting a modest(as close to stock size as possible) chrome tip to cover up the rusted black tip. Then look into an cold air intake if you're serious about performance.

·
Read Only
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh... so what you're saying is if I get even a chrome exhaust tip, there would be some slight performance degrading b/c of the restrictiveness?

·
Registered
682 Posts
An exhaust is definitely the best way to get performance out of a RAV, and i'm speaking from experience. For a 4.2 you'd want to go with 2.25" press bent exhaust piping from the cat back to the main muffler. In between the cat and the main muffler you'd want a hot dog resonator. With the main muffler you can go cannon style if you want more noise or go with a more traditional muffler if you want less noise. I've been thru both types and i prefer the latter as it's less noisy but at the same time makes my RAV4.1 sound deeper and beefier.

·
Read Only
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no experiencing with modding cars as I really would like to have my dealers (Their Toyota parts/service center) do it... I know it would cost more, but would it be a more safer way to get an exhaust system or chrome tip polished or anything like that? What are the differences besides price between aftermarket other places and the actual toyota service centers? Do they have less selection, but better experience? Thanks.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Toyota dealers aren't going to make a custom exhaust for you. Just go to a good exhaust shop and tell them what you want and get them to do it. They will also charge less than any Toyota dealer would.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Plus there really isn't much of a selection from the dealer. They have, like what, one chrome tip available from the Rav4 that's a bolt on, but you'd still have to get them to cut the pipe a bit to fit properly. With aftermarket, you have tons of choices in tips/mufflers/custom piping work. They also generally know more about the product they sell so you can form an opinion on what you really want to buy. Of course, like anything else, there will be some people who might try to rip you off so it's best to do your research first and find a good, reputable muffler shop. Visiting street racing boards or asking around import people you might know will help you out. That's how I found my muffler shop.

·
Read Only
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will JUST a chrome exhaust tip restrict any kind of flow of any kind or any decrease in performance?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Mohit said:
An exhaust is definitely the best way to get performance out of a RAV, and i'm speaking from experience.
Eh...have a dyno to back that up? Exhaust upgrades are nearly worthless on most 4 cylinders. Can even reduce performance if they relieve too much back pressure. Not that that stops every other teenage owned Civic from having one.

Unless Toyota put an exceptionally restrictive system on, that just doesn't add up.

·
Registered
682 Posts
No dyno charts to prove anything but my RAV is definitely more powerful than stock...why would i lie about something like this? A proper exhaust system suited to the car it's going on will definitely increase performance. Your comment about exhaust systems on 4 cyl cars being worthless is seriously flawed. Have you actually experienced a custom exhaust on a 4 cyl car for yourself? Maybe you have but lost power coz you got the wrong system for your car...i don't know. I can name at least 5 people from the RAV4OZ forums who have exhaust systems on their RAVs and have gotten positive results out of them.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Butt dynos are worthless :D A lot of that is just perception. The sound and wishful thinking probably make it seem faster.

Yes gains can be made out of exhaust. But they're pretty much limited to single digit peak hp gains. A cold air intake nets you much more horsepower per $$.

I find it extremely hard to believe that your exhaust made a significant gain in power on the RAV's old 2.0 120hp engine.

Talking about going from like 90(don't know what it dynos at stock) wheel horsepower to 93 or 94 at best with a full cat-back system and that's just at peak rpm. Remove the cat and run a straight pipe and you'll get a few more, but be highly illegal over here.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Talk about a good guess :D

"Prior to the project start it(1997 Toyota Rav 4) had been run on the Dyno at just a tad under 90 HP at the wheels. With some road tuning on the way to the Dyno run the Rav pulled an impressive 147 hp with the turbo and SMT installed. "

Not specific about which model though. AWD model would lose more than FWD and auto more than manual. Guessing it was FWD since 4wd dynos are a bit of a rarity.

http://www.perfectpower.com/Installations/rav4.asp

·
Registered
682 Posts
here's a bit of free advice...and i don't mean for this to sound disrespectful or rude but you should believe people who have modded their ravs. as far as i know you haven't modded your rav when it comes to intake and exhaust as you didn't answer my question in a previous post. i did a lot of research before my custom cai and exhaust went onto my rav. my rav is definitely more powereful due to the exhaust. the cai will not give more power than an exhaust system, it'll just let your rav run more efficiently. when you get a slightly bigger exhaust abd better headers you get rid of exhaust gases quicker, qllowing there to be less pressure in the exhaust system which makes more power.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Mohit said:
lol i don't know why u won't believe me when i say that my exhaust gave me more power. not trying to be rude but i think i know what i'm talking about as i did a lot of research before i designed my exhaust system. my seat of my pants dyno is not lying. my RAV is definitely more powereful. and a cai (which i also have in my RAV) will not give more power than an exhaust system. the ngine will still only accept the same amount of air as the throttle body and intake manifold diameters haven't changed. when you get a slightly bigger exhaust abd better headers you get rid of exhaust gases quicker, qllowing there to be less pressure in the exhaust system making more power.
I'm not denying that it can give more power and I know why exhaust upgrades can give power. I'm just very, very skeptical about this statement. "An exhaust is definitely the best way to get performance out of a RAV"

That just does not compute. Would take a dyno to convice me. And that would only prove that the Toyota designers were complete morons when it came to the exhaust and put something on as breathable as a plastic bag stuck on an infant's head. Or is it that the intake works exceptionally well and a CAI routed down towards the bumper doesn't make much difference?

My butt dyno must need some calibration though. Don't think I could tell the difference in adding a couple hp to a 90hp 2700lb automatic transmission vehicle.

When tuning any other 4 cylinder I'm familiar with exhaust is the last place to look on a pure $/hp rationale. Though it does complete the I/H/E bolt on setup.

I'm not trying to be rude either, I'm just dumbfounded as to how that could be true.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Well all i can say is that you would have to do intake and exhaust mods on your own rav to experience what me and other RAVers have experienced. Yes, the stock intake and exhaust systems on the both RAVs are badly designed. And the only way to get over them is to completely replace them with non restrictive systems which is what i've done and this is how i've achieved more power from my RAV. There's not much you can do to a RAV to get power out of it, short of turbo or supercharger mods...so tried and proven NA mods (ie. intake and exhaust mods) are the best way to go. Then you could look at enlarged intake tracts, powerchips, etc.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Just need to find someone who has done comparison dynos. Just comparing by the seat of your pants is no comparison whatsoever. It'd have to be an especially poor design for the gains in reducing backpressure to be greater than the gains of a cai.

And quite frankly when you start with 90hp, there's not much power to be freed up by making it breathe better. It's all proportional. That's why I'm only interested in suspension upgrades on my Celica. The engine bolt ons just have so little return for the $$.

The engine in the 04+ seems to be especially FI friendly though. There's a boosted Scion tC putting out 500+hp. Seems to be plenty of room in the engine bay too. Would just be setting money aside for a super or turbocharger for one of those. Maybe the factory TRD supercharger for the tC will work with the RAV.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts