Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone, I have a 2010 rav4. I bought is used at 2014 when it was 49000km. Now, it is 87000km.

This is my first vehicle and I really like it. I want to keep it as long as I can.

I just check my transmission fluid today and use a tissue wipe the oil on the dip stick.
IMG_1804.jpg

My question is should I change my transmission fluid and how often should I do it?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hello everyone, I have a 2010 rav4. I bought is used at 2014 when it was 49000km. Now, it is 87000km.

This is my first vehicle and I really like it. I want to keep it as long as I can.

I just check my transmission fluid today and use a tissue wipe the oil on the dip stick.
View attachment 71810

My question is should I change my transmission fluid and how often should I do it?
That's always a huge debate here! My opinion: do a drain-and-refill every 50,000 miles or so(about where you're at), using Toyota transmission fluid. This is assuming you don't tow a trailer or do any off-roading. I've followed that routine for many, many years on many vehicles and have only had one transmission go bad. Oh, by the way, that one was a Subaru that the dealer put differential fluid in(the transmission). Trans lasted 10,000 miles!

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Yes change it. Yours looks worst than mine and I have 88,800 km. The color should be reddish pink color. The Toyota Owner's manual supplement book states to change the transmission fluid every 72 months/96,000 km.

It looks like the fluid has never been changed. You can do a drain and fill but in your case I would recommend a flush using the return line. A drain and fill will only remove around 50% of the fluid and the remainder is trapped in the torque converter. Yes you can do a drain and fill several times but your results is not going be as good as a flush using the return line method. If your fluid was changed every 40,000 to 60,000 km and looks normal I say go with the drain and fill.

A flush using the return line is different than a shop using a machine pumping fluid out of the transmission. (some argue a flush can be bad but read up and find out why based on facts not opinions) A return line flush can be done safely by removing the return line and place hose in a container while starting the car up for around 10 seconds. Stop car when pumping out 1 litre and then refill 1 litre again. Then repeat until fluid is a clean reddish pink color. I estimate around 12 litres with the drain/fill.

Here is what I would do (I will do this also this summer with my car even though mine looks better): You can go about this in many different ways. Some may chose to replace the transmission filter (drop transmission pan) with drain and fill method followed by a flush using the return line. Myself I am going to drain and fill followed by flushing using the return line only.

So the only way to remove all the fluid (with new fluid....not by mixing old with new fluid) is do a drain and fill followed by a flush using the return line. You can decide which method you want to choose.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Yes change it. Yours looks worst than mine and I have 88,800 km. The color should be reddish pink color. The Toyota Owner's manual supplement book states to change the transmission fluid every 72 months/96,000 km.

It looks like the fluid has never been changed. You can do a drain and fill but in your case I would recommend a flush using the return line. A drain and fill will only remove around 50% of the fluid and the remainder is trapped in the torque converter. Yes you can do a drain and fill several times but your results is not going be as good as a flush using the return line method. If your fluid was changed every 40,000 to 60,000 km and looks normal I say go with the drain and fill.

A flush using the return line is different than a shop using a machine pumping fluid out of the transmission. (some argue a flush can be bad but read up and find out why based on facts not opinions) A return line flush can be done safely by removing the return line and place hose in a container while starting the car up for around 10 seconds. Stop car when pumping out 1 litre and then refill 1 litre again. Then repeat until fluid is a clean reddish pink color. I estimate around 12 litres with the drain/fill.

Here is what I would do (I will do this also this summer with my car even though mine looks better): You can go about this in many different ways. Some may chose to replace the transmission filter (drop transmission pan) with drain and fill method followed by a flush using the return line. Myself I am going to drain and fill followed by flushing using the return line only.

So the only way to remove all the fluid (with new fluid....not by mixing old with new fluid) is do a drain and fill followed by a flush using the return line. You can decide which method you want to choose.
I'm one who has had a bad experience with a trans flush. Your method however, would work just fine. I just don't recommend the way most shops do it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Try my method louis,
After you've drained the trans sump, removed the pan and cleaned everything,(my trans pan had 3 magnets), replaced the trans filter, fitted a new gasket, replaced the pan, drain plug and topped it up etc, you slide that hose clamp up (arrowed) and slide the 'transmission return hose' up, you'll see the 10mm (3/8") spigot, yes some trans oil will leak out of the hose, don't worry about that, it's dirty oil.
Now shove the 3/8"copper pipe with attached 3/8" clear hose up into the return line hose. It's a good snug fit. Have a bucket under this clear hose ready, and get someone to start the car in Neutral (N). Dirty/old trans oil will be pumped out. I took out about 3 litres, (that's nearly 3 quarts). Turn off the engine and add the same amount (3 litres) of New Oil to the trans.(down the trans dipstick tube). REPEAT doing this until the oil runs CLEAN. With the engine off, replace the return hose & the hose clamp. Lower the car, check the trans oil level, take it for a drive and check oil level again. You will notice a vast improvement. (well I did:)
I used Toyota ATF WS, all up, it took about 15 litres. No need to drain only 1 litre at a time, you can safely take out 3 litres at a time. Much quicker!

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm about to buy 16qts of OEM WS atf. Would that be enough for a full drain, drop pan, flush through return line?

This will be the first fluid exchange on our 2010 rav4 2.5l base with 52k..
I just did the transfer and diff fluid exchange today.. It was Black, and smelled horrible..
The diff was way worse then the transfer.. Way darker.. Hope this will make it run much smoother.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Please tell of your Amsoil experience. I am on the fence as to which product (Amsoil or redline ATF ) to go with.
never had an issue with either oil, both are very high quality. i usually use redline in racing applications and amsoil in daily applications. if you want amsoil, ask around - a lot of people, including me, have dealer accounts. makes purchasing the oil a lot cheaper, especially if you're ordering in bulk.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We just bought a 2010 2.5 AWD with 118K on it and it has the low speed whine that has been mentioned here and there. It seems to me noise is a result of friction in many cases. I would like to relate a story about my first Amsoil use in an 05 Honda Odyssey that I still own. I bought that van with 110K on it and soon there after it developed a major issue that was like the engine & drivetrain were trying to jump out from under the hood and onto the shoulder of the road. It was the dreaded Trans shutter demon. At the time, Honda was also issuing warnings not to use any other trans oil but their own. Honda's TSB stated that a reflash should be done and if that didn't fix the issue a new torque converter was the problem to be replaced. A great many folks followed the Honda protocol only to still end up with the problem. After much reading, I found one guy who stated he replaced his trans fluid with Amsoil universal and the shutter issue was gone. No one paid his post much attention aside from regurgitating the Honda warnings of eventual grenading his trans. I took his advise and did 2 trans fluid drain & replace with Amsoil universal ATF and bingo, my trans demons were destroyed. I soon moved from NY to TN and hauled many overloaded machine shop loads in that van on I-81 for 14 hour runs. That was 2 years ago and that van shifts as smooth as any thing on the road. Incidentally, within months after I did the Amsoil ATF treatment, Honda comes out with a new fully synthetic ATF and tells all the dealers to use it in lew of the older crap. I would NEVER have believed an ATF fluid could fix the issues my van had but it did since it was the cheapest way out at the time, I tried it. So I personally don't completely believe all the Toyota bla bla bla on WS ATF. Its basically their bulk way of bottom line profit. Don't kid your self, $$$$$ is what they are concerned about and new model appeal. I'll be doing an Amsoil SS ATF swap in soon and see if that does anything different with the whine.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
We just bought a 2010 2.5 AWD with 118K on it and it has the low speed whine that has been mentioned here and there. It seems to me noise is a result of friction in many cases. I would like to relate a story about my first Amsoil use in an 05 Honda Odyssey that I still own. I bought that van with 110K on it and soon there after it developed a major issue that was like the engine & drivetrain were trying to jump out from under the hood and onto the shoulder of the road. It was the dreaded Trans shutter demon. At the time, Honda was also issuing warnings not to use any other trans oil but their own. Honda's TSB stated that a reflash should be done and if that didn't fix the issue a new torque converter was the problem to be replaced. A great many folks followed the Honda protocol only to still end up with the problem. After much reading, I found one guy who stated he replaced his trans fluid with Amsoil universal and the shutter issue was gone. No one paid his post much attention aside from regurgitating the Honda warnings of eventual grenading his trans. I took his advise and did 2 trans fluid drain & replace with Amsoil universal ATF and bingo, my trans demons were destroyed. I soon moved from NY to TN and hauled many overloaded machine shop loads in that van on I-81 for 14 hour runs. That was 2 years ago and that van shifts as smooth as any thing on the road. Incidentally, within months after I did the Amsoil ATF treatment, Honda comes out with a new fully synthetic ATF and tells all the dealers to use it in lew of the older crap. I would NEVER have believed an ATF fluid could fix the issues my van had but it did since it was the cheapest way out at the time, I tried it. So I personally don't completely believe all the Toyota bla bla bla on WS ATF. Its basically their bulk way of bottom line profit. Don't kid your self, $$$$$ is what they are concerned about and new model appeal. I'll be doing an Amsoil SS ATF swap in soon and see if that does anything different with the whine.

I haven't heard any problems with Amsoil or Redline relating to transmission problems but many stick to WS due to the fact many don't know much about transmission fluids. The horror stories they hear are usually other brands that are not compatible with WS which gives all other fluids a bad name.

As for the whine let us know if switching to Amsoil will cure this problem. I have a whine in my V6 and flushing the fluid using the return line with Maxlife did not cure it.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I haven't heard any problems with Amsoil or Redline relating to transmission problems but many stick to WS due to the fact many don't know much about transmission fluids. The horror stories they hear are usually other brands that are not compatible with WS which gives all other fluids a bad name.

As for the whine let us know if switching to Amsoil will cure this problem. I have a whine in my V6 and flushing the fluid using the return line with Maxlife did not cure it.
I think he's talking two different things. The whine he has is not the same as yours, as he has a 4 cyl 4 sp trans. As far as I know, the V6 5sp whine like yours can only be fixed by replacing the transmission with one having an updated Toyota part number. This issue has been well-hashed out on here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 2009 rav4 2.5with right at hundred thousand miles.I changed my tranny fluid the other day by droping pan and cleaning it .plus I cleaned the factory filter and reused it.then I use right at 4 1/2 qts of Valvoline Max.drove it around then done a second drain and fill.now I have clear pink fluid .it took some time but it was worth it

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
WHAT you didn't use the OEM manufactured ATF. How dare you. :D

About to put some amsoil in our RAV.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
WHAT you didn't use the OEM manufactured ATF. How dare you. :D

About to put some amsoil in our RAV.
Glad Amsoil works out, I always considered it a quality product. A quick search on here will turn up more than a few posters who used other brands without a good outcome. Just because it says "meets all manufacturers specs etc", doesn't always mean it does.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts