Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about spare tire in rear…

Hello all. I just picked up my 2006 RAV4 today and am very delighted.

I do have one concern, though.

I’ve never owned a vehicle with a spare tire on the back before. I only have the base (Canadian) model so I have a soft cover. It appears that the gap between the spare tire and the back door is wide enough for dirt, sludge and salt to get into but not wide enough for me to slide my hand through to wash/wipe the area.

Is this going to be a problem as far as moisture buildup behind the spare and eventual rust on the (I assume metal) clamp? How does one go about giving the back area a proper wash short of removing the spare tire entirely?

This is my first brand new car and I couldn’t quite afford the limited with the hard cover. I suppose those folks don’t have this concern.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Zippy.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Spare tires been out for years on the rear door. You will find that in the winter in deep snow storms you will get a lot of snow on top of the spare tire blocking your rear view but that is easliey cleaned off. The part where the snow and ice get behind is true but rust is not an issue when this happens. Everything is painted behind there, no bare metel to rust

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input, flyingn.

It’s good to know there isn’t any exposed metal back there. I will make sure to power spray that area good and flush out all the guck.

This now being the first full day of daylight enjoying my RAV4 I am loving it even more. One curious thing I notice is that my outside mirrors are painted everglade like the rest of the car. I wasn’t expecting that in the base and thought they would be unpainted like the side door knobs.

Oh well, small victories… :wink:

Cheers,
Zippy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
zippy canuck said:
One curious thing I notice is that my outside mirrors are painted everglade like the rest of the car. I wasn’t expecting that in the base and thought they would be unpainted like the side door knobs.
My base's outside mirrors are black; see my album. Another international difference...

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I don’t have a digital camera to take a snapshot to show it clearly.

I actually zipped into my garage to double check and make sure I wasn’t imagining it. But yup, they are painted everglade.

However, I don’t know if they’re painted to the same extent as the deluxe models. Only the front shell seems to be painted my body color. There is a narrow border around the actual mirror itself that’s left black and the arm connecting the shell to the car is black.

And yes my four side door handles are black. My rear door handle is painted everglade, though.

Any other Canuck base owners out there to confirm this?

Cheers,
Zippy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts