Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 V6 Sport with factory installed crossbars and rack. The manual lists the roof rack capacity as 102 lbs. I am trying to find out if that is for the cross racks ONLY, and if so, can I buy upgraded ones and keep the existing rack? I would like to buy an accessory to carry 2 kayaks, but combined they weigh appx 125 lbs, which is over for the factory installed equipment. I don't want a trailer.
Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The load limit is for the bars, tho I don't think it is specified in the manual. The side rails are pretty darn stout. If you go with a Thule or Yakiima crossbar set you should be fine.

I think the limiting factor is really the strength of the sliding attachments for the OEM bars. Just remove the Toyota bars and store them safely away until you sell the trucklet.

·
Registered
211 Posts
102 pounds. i thought it was 150, but looked at my manual and found you are correct. I use foam blocks with my canoe but it weighs 58 pounds, so I am still safe. I'm interested to see what you find out.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would be more concerned with wind resistance than weight. Kayaks and canoes, probably no big deal.
Something big and boxy uptop may put more strain than the specified weight limit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well right or wrong, this is what I did/do:

I have an 08 with the factory rack. I picked up the Yakima attachments that attach to the racks, not the cross bars. I use the round Yakima bars as cross bars. On it I carry 2 kayaks, one in the Thule Hullivator, which is pretty heavy. I have a bad back, and it helps allot!

On my wifes car, also an 08, we slid 2 iron water pipes into a 2 pool noodles, and tye-wrapped it to the roof racks (front and rear). On top of them go the kayaks. Cost under $20.

Good luck,

kb

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,614 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm thinking about putting a 4 person Tepui on my side rails of my 2009 RAV4. It will be overloaded.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Remember too, in Toyota’s roof rack limit they have to factor in the dynamic impact of having 100+ pounds 6’ or more above the ground, on top of a taller vehicle. Part of the load restriction includes making dure the truck doesn’t keel over in a turn or emergency swerve. Just remember the Consumer Reports “tests” of the Suzuki Samurai.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts