Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to install a Kahtec blinking smart stop light module and some other items some day (like new DRL lights and led foglights. I was wondering if there is a 'standard' color code system for automotive wiring so it is easier to tell positive from negative. For instance, I have 2 wires, one all white and one white with black stripe. In another instance, I have one black wire and one purple wire. Which is which?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Are you familiar with VOLT/OHM meters? You measure voltage and resistance with them. Great inexpensive tool for determining what wire/contact/plug has voltage or is grounded when doing electrical work.

Sometimes the polarity of a wire isn't as it should be - a VOLT/OHM meter is one safe way to determine the true polarity of wires.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If you look at the picture you will notice a BLACK/WHITE wire and a BLACK wire. The BLACK/WHITE wire is labeled GROUND and the BLACK wire is labeled +12v SWITCHED, ergo the need for a VOLT/OHM meter to determine which wire is GROUND and which is +12v! :wink

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts