Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I noticed today that my 2015 Rav4 LE does not have a hose connected to the overflow vent on the antifreeze reservoir. I don't believe it came with one. Should there be?

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
None of mine have had a hose connected there, 2006 V6, 2015 Limited and 2016 Hybrid, all just like yours.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems to me that if the engine ever overheated the antifreeze would spray all over the engine compartment. A hose would redirect it down to the wheel well and onto the ground.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
My 2011 is the same - no hose.

I'll add a strange experience with overflow hoses. I had a '77 Honda 750 motorcycle that ran poorly at over 50mph. A real puzzle - RPM made no difference. The only coincidental factor was road speed. A genius mechanic found the problem to be the carburetor bowl overflow tubes. All four were bundled together with the drain end of the tubes fastened to the frame in front of the rear wheel. The partial vacuum in the frame's slip stream at 55mph caused enough vacuum to suck fuel from the bowls, starving the carbs. And it was all my fault for obsessing over venting - I'm the idiot who modified the drains.

So, if you add a vent to your tank, be sure it terminates into a neutral or positive air space.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's my solution: I attached a drain hose with a clamp to the vent hole.

I then ran the hose down the back near the firewall.

Out the bottom through the frame.

Maybe Toyota was trying to save money by not including a drain hose on their Rav4s. At least now, if my Rav ever overheats, the antifreeze will be on the ground not all over my engine.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks JuneBug, I was not aware that this had been covered before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts