Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of buying a loaded RAV4 Limited, why not just spend a couple $K more for a Hummer H3? I'm debating this right now.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
O M G

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Seriously though... The RAV4 and Hummer H3 should not compared as buying choices on the same shopping list... :shock: :?: :?

The differences are night and day.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, Yes! Convince me why the RAV is a better choice!

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Hummer's original intent was to create all-purpose, utilitarian replacements for the US military's over-the-hill jeeps and a few other light duty trucks. These are service vehicles -- pure tools that provide a means to an end in rough and varied environments with little care for their occupants save for conveyance and a little protection from the elements.

To have General Motors buy them out and foist "consumer" versions of their vehicles on the world as ugly, overpriced, gas guzzling, road and parking space hogging behemoths is an abomination waiting to go down in flames. I'd be surprised if 10% of the Hummer buying public actually tell me that they truly take their four-wheeled monsters offroad on a daily basis, if at all, as they were designed to from the beginning.

They actually market the H3 as having "the largest tires available in the segment"?? Oh, yes, that's a great selling point -- always what I look for in my SUV... It starts at $30k -- the top end of the RAV when fully optioned. Their 3.5L inline five-cylinder gets a measly 220hp/225torque compared to the RAVs 269/246. And 16 city / 20mpg highway??? You've got to be kidding me!

Interior space? Despite its ultra-boxy form and larger outer dimensions, it manages to have less interior room than the RAV, both passenger space and significantly for cargo. Wonder how much it weighs? Oh, only 1,000 pounds more than the heftiest RAV. And the list goes on...

If anything, the H3 should be compared to the FJ Cruiser since they're both true rock-crawlers.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you telling me that the H3 has LESS passenger AND cargo room than the RAV???

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
The cargo figures are especially eye-opening and the H3 obviously sacrifices rear seat room and cargo at the expense of front seat dimensions that are not far off of the RAVs.

You can verify the information yourself at Toyota's and Hummer's websites (got a couple rear seat figures from Edmunds), but...

Interior Dimensions
First Row
Head Room - RAV4 (40.8 in.) H3 (40.6 in.)
Shoulder Room - RAV4 (57.1 in.) H3 (54.4 in.)
Hip Room - RAV4 (53.8 in.) H3 (53.9 in.)
Leg Room - RAV4 (41.8 in.) H3 (41.9 in.)

Second Row
Head Room - RAV4 (39.7 in.) H3 (39.9 in.)
Shoulder Room - RAV4 (55.3 in.) H3 (53.5 in.)
Hip Room - RAV4 (52.4 in.) H3 (53.5 in.)
Leg Room - RAV4 (38.3 in.) H3 (35.0 in.)

Cargo Volume
Behind Rear Seat - RAV4 (36.4 cu. ft.) H3 (29.5 cu. ft.)
With Rear Seat Down - RAV4 (73.0 cu. ft.) H3 (55.7 cu. ft.)

·
Registered
252 Posts
IMHO...

Hummers belong in the dessert with the camels. They are both UGLY! But, even with water costing more per gallon that gasoline, the camel will get way better mileage.

Seriously though, a Hummer is entirely a status thing. I mean think about it, what PRACTICAL use is there for a Hummer on our roads. Sure, they are great for the military etc. but not for the average guy.

Next, people will want an armoured vehicle with tracks just "in case" they happen to get shot at while taking a short cut over a mountain range on their way to get groceries.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
yup.. without looking at specs,, Me sitting both tells me the Rav is larger inside.. Anyone have specs to see for sure??

Ok Tony proved it:)

Patrick G. said:
Are you telling me that the H3 has LESS passenger AND cargo room than the RAV???

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
It really depends upon what you will be using your vehicle for.

If you intend to do some serious off-roading and rock-crawling. Sure, the H3 will fit the bill. If it is for on road day to day driving, the RAV4 Limited hands down. :D

Just test drive both and decide for yourself. :D

I am certain that with the ever increasing rise in gas prices, HUMMER has taken a serious hit in sales; and the H3 was created to try and stop their serious nose dive into oblivion. :lol: Probably why the H3 was created with an inline 5 cylinder engine instead of the V6 it needs. The lack of power and its huge girth is what makes the H3 another sales joke. :lol: But hey, that's my biased opinion; yours may vary. :D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It wouldn't matter who made the Hummer..

I dislike it. I always chuckle when I see an H2 being driven around to "run" errands.

If you own a ranch or are a serious off roader I can understand the purpose in owning one. Otherwise I think they are a huge waste of resources.

I know alot of people bought them for the tax break....give me a break :p

·
Registered
652 Posts
This is a ridiculous question that should not have been answered and removed from being posted.

It is obviously a prank post and for those who have responded increase the risk of having more silly posts posted.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I looked at the H3

I just ordered my Limited V6 4WD today. I went to the Chicago Auto Show in February and I had wanted to see and sit in the Hummer H3. I did. The first thing I noticed is the entry and exit. While I am sure it's a fun vehicle to drive and show off, the first thing that hit me was dirty pants. I cannot see how you can get out of that H3 without sliding over the outside body a bit, and if the H3 is dirty, transferring that to your pants. The rear seat entrance would even be worse! Very narrow door opening. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
652 Posts
becks said:
Just curious as to why they would give a tax break for the Hummer? I know that they give tax breaks for people who buy Hybrid vehicles, but why a Hummer gas hog? :roll:
A vehicle over a certain weight was considered to be for business purposes.

·
Registered
270 Posts
H3 vs. RAV4

In my search for a new vehicle I had settled on an H3. I like the aggressive styling and I do go offroad a bit, until I discovered the new RAV4. Just as mentioned in earlier posts, the H3 is seriously underpowered and it isn't a Toyota, cut and dry. I was in the $35,000 price range with the H3 and got my RAV4, LOADED, for less than $29,000.

The new RAV4 was my "easy button".

Can't wait to smoke an H3 :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A lady where I work had an H2 and her monthly gasoline bill was $700 Cdn!

Rob

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Re: H3 vs. RAV4

good decision. Heck with a 4 cylinder rav you could smoke a H3..

sooperedd said:
In my search for a new vehicle I had settled on an H3. I like the aggressive styling and I do go offroad a bit, until I discovered the new RAV4. Just as mentioned in earlier posts, the H3 is seriously underpowered and it isn't a Toyota, cut and dry. I was in the $35,000 price range with the H3 and got my RAV4, LOADED, for less than $29,000.

The new RAV4 was my "easy button".

Can't wait to smoke an H3 :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts