Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2002 RAV4 Limited with 4 Alloy Wheels, and one spare Steel Wheel (I got this OEM wheel 16X6.5 on ebay). The thief broke my spare wheel cover and stole my original alloy spare wheel. I have to say that the cover was so easy to brake even with a lock on. I will buy the tire for the spare wheel, and I am going to get the tire from pepboys, should I get the same size as the one on my Alloy wheels (P235/60R16) even the Wheel is .5 smaller than the Alloy?

I am going to get wheel locks for my car to avoid my spare got stolen again. Is the toyota part# PT276-42010 the one I am suppose to get? Also do I need to buy new nuts for the spare or can I use the extra nuts (from the front and rear wheels) for the spare wheel after I install the wheel locks?

Here is the picture of the wheels.

1. Alloy Wheels
http://216.194.52.246/alloy.jpg
2. Steel Spare
http://216.194.52.246/steel.jpg

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
My OEM rims which are the same as yours use Toyota’s locks Part # is 00276-042960.

I am in Canada but I don’t think the part number should be any different.

Walt

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Ryu, the lug nuts for the Toyota alloys and steel wheels are completely different. I would definitely not recommend using the same lug nuts for both steel and alloy applications together.

The Toyota alloy wheels use their own Toyota specific design lug nuts (you will notice that the lug nuts are flat where they seat onto the wheel. And the steel wheel uses more of an acorn shaped lug nut where it seats onto the wheel. Therefore, if you want to use the steel wheel as a spare, you will definitely need to have an entire set of acorn style lug nuts in case you have a flat tire and need to use the spare.

Also, the Toyota factory wheel locks (if you are getting a set of 5) will not work with both alloy and steel combination wheels. That is probably the reason why Toyota has all alloys on your RAV, and the base models have all steel wheels including the spare.

I hope what I have described is clear to you and others who read this. If not, I will try to search and post some pictures of the differences between the two types of lug nuts. :D

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Sorry about that :roll:
I misread your thread and thought you where getting a set of locks for the OEM alloys 00276-042960 and then you wanted to use one of them on the Steelies. So I just double-checked the Alloy lock number for you.

As Derek said the Alloy lug wont seat properly.
However, what I did not want to say before, for it may or may not work, is the fact that the just one Alloy lock might seat enough to hold the spare if used conjunction with the 2 steel rim lugs. As long as it threaded down properly and the inner taper managed to catch the inside of the hole enough so that the tire will not shift around.
But incase of a tire change you MUST have 3 regular steelies lugs stored in the car + 2 reg. Steelie lugs on the spare and then Alloy lock lug would have to be stored. And if anyone else uses your vehicle they must know this too. That is one of a few reasons I don’t like the idea.

Walt

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply. I noticed that the 5th lock doesn't have the ring attached to it like the rest of the 4 locks. I want to make sure the 5th lock fits the steel wheel before I break the package. The hole from the steel wheel locks bigger than the size of the 5th spare lug lock (maybe I am wrong, do I need to insert some kind of ring before I put the lock on?

The wheels lock I got from toyota costs me US $40 + tax, and it is made by McGard. However, if I buy McGard branded locks, it costs only half of what I paid. Are they the same quality and size? Here is the link for McGard Part# 24557.

http://www.7453217467431.com/products/productDetails.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=111165&FOLDER<>folder_id=50229&affID=33797&bmUID=1139927973109

Where can I get the lug nuts for my steel wheel online that fits? I don't have much knowledge about cars, is it called acorn lug nuts like Derek said?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Ryu, here is a quick reply; got to leave for work. :D

The lug nuts that are used for the steel wheel are commonly called acorn style lug nuts. Not to confuse you or anything, but they come in different hex sizes. This is the size of the removal tool that you will use.

They also have different thread sizes as well. :?

To make things easy, just order acorn lug nuts with these dimensions:

12mm x 1.50 thread size
13/16" hex size (similar to the OEM Toyota size if I am not mistaken)

By the way McGard and Gorilla wheel locks are good companies to go with. Good Luck. :D

·
Registered
994 Posts
The McGard part # is PT276-42041.

I got my wheel locks at a Toyota dealership. It comes with 5 locks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just go to any tire shops and get a cheap steel wheel & tire for spare. Don't bother putting a lock on the spare because the lock will be sticking out too much that it can be removed with a vice grip in seconds. (I know because I used to work in a tire shop)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts