Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
spokemaster asked me this question. But I think it's a little bit out of my knowledge, here goes.

:?: I just wanted to ask about center diffs. i want a LSD in the center instead of my open with lock. i have a '96 5spd 4 door. i was wondering if anyone knows if you can swip one from a higlander or automatic RAV 4.1 or 4.2? thanks for your help. :?:

OK guys, what do you think?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Re: Question from spokemaster, interesting

mensajero said:
spokemaster asked me this question. But I think it's a little bit out of my knowledge, here goes.

:?: I just wanted to ask about center diffs. i want a LSD in the center instead of my open with lock. i have a '96 5spd 4 door. i was wondering if anyone knows if you can swip one from a higlander or automatic RAV 4.1 or 4.2? thanks for your help. :?:

I would say no since they are two different systems. It would provide almost no benifit without a rear one anyway.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Question from spokemaster, interesting

mensajero said:

Thier you go spokemaster.

K

·
0 Posts
What series of gearbox is the highlander using?

If your RAV4 is using the E series gearbox, you might want to check out the hilux center diff. It's almost the same.

·
Registered
79 Posts
alright i have a stupid question. i manged to find an uuber rare transmission, from a celica st165. i am of the understanding that they are basically the most identical to the rav4 transmission of all the alltrac cars, being first generations of both and therefore using the same 2nd hand transmission (caldina).

im wanting to swap out the center diff, the celica center diff in the st165 trans is a viscous coupling LSD, so its a proper high performance center diff that gives a lot more power to the rear thanks to an even and reliable power distribution, rather than the stock open center diff's tendancy to power the front wheels first when conditions are slick.

i have the 5spd with center diff lock, which is great if youre bombing through deep snow and mud, but the rest of the time i want it to be more solidly planted and more predictable on slippery roads (sometimes its all rear wheels, usually all front, making it kinda sketchy, our roads are solid ice 6 months of the year or more here)

a friend of mine who is a mechanic figures it will be "geared differently" but i was under the impression that the center diff's only purpose was splitting the power front to back, im 90% certain there is no drive gear in the center diff, and hes thinking of a transfer case in a 4x4, rather than a center differential, am i correct here?

but the overall point here, is can anyone tell me if this peice is going to go into my rav4 trans? obviously one option is to swap the whole transmission, which i would really rather not do as i like my rav4's gearset as is, and for all its compatibility, i dont think its a direct swap all around (clutch, cv shafts, etc.)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Does your Rav currently have a rear LSD?

I may be mis-understanding but I'm confused as to how the center diff being an LSD would make a difference. I would think it would be more beneficial if you have a front and rear LSD.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 1997 4dr, for instance, was equipped with the optional rear LSD but still has the center lock button on the center console. Does that mean I have a different "center diff"?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yes, a LSD centre diff is useful, IMHO moreso than front or rear. As std, on the road, if one wheel loses grip, all the power will be spun away. With a centre LSD, if one wheel on a front or rear axle loses grip, power still gets to the other end, front or back. Just like locking the centre diff, but can be used on hard surfaces too.

Obviously for ultimate traction, all 3 diffs should lock or be limited slip.
My Lancia has a viscous centre and torsen rear diff, so doesn't have problems getting traction, even in snow/ice. They did fit an front LSD also to the rally version.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The question is, how can you have an LSD with a viscious coupler design center diff? These all wheel drive systems are new to me, so maybe I just don't know.

·
Registered
159 Posts
As a point of reference, Mitsibishi's AWD system, from late 90's until some EVOs started getting active center differentials, ALWAYS used LSD center diff (by use of viscous coupling). This was the case even when whey used open rear differentials. Front differential LSD was an extremely rare option. I would rate importance of using LSD differentials in this order (most to least):

Center
Rear
Front

Of course, Rav4 already has the MOST effective LSD: Locking center diff ;). Most drag racing Mitsubishis use locked center diff (ether welded or replaced with a spool). So it is not a bad option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts