Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious on roughly how much it costs to have one done, like the average cost. I know there are a lot of people with 4.1 Rav4s that have done it.

Also, what brand of exhaust system would people recommend? I have a little more $$ saved up since I'm changing my vacation destination this year.

I'm planning to hit the local Portland muffler shops on my day off, so I'd just like some input here.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Their are a few ways you can go. I'll tell you what I'm headed for. I was checking this kit out

But, it is no longer available from Bosal.

So, I'm plan to do my own setup. This is a Summit fiberglass resonator and a Catco Emission-legal Performance Cat Converter. Both are 2.25. Price from Summit, $55.69 for the CC [stock number Call Summit], and $19.95 for the Resonator [stock number SUM-630802]

This is a Pace Setter Header for the Celica 3SFE engine.

This will come in this week, price $159.00 shipped. You will also need an O2 sensor relocated for the second sensor. Check with Checho in this forum. He can give you the details.

Then you will need a muffler. Go to Magnaflow Mufflers. They have this baby. The cool part about this muffler is that it has the same dimensions as the TRD RAV4.1 muffler. You will just need to weld the stock hangers on it to relocate it. It will fit like a glove. Price, about $69.95. Check stock number 12646
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/mufflers/univ_al_round.asp

Last but not least, you will need a cool tip to go with a cool sound, enter Borla. Price, about $99.00 + shipping. Check summit racing.

Of course you will have to take it to a muffler shop to be installed. Stay tuned, I’ll install this, this summer. 8)

·
Registered
682 Posts
ryo, the main thing to remember with the 4.1 is that the stock exhaust has a lot of bend in it so when u get a custom one made up get it straighter than the stock one. on my 4.1 i have a 2" cat back system with hot dog resonator and sports stainless steel muffler. the piping is press bent and is made of aluminized mild steel.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
checho said:
mensa, that magnaflow muffler is freeflow right?freeflow in puerto rico are ilegal in street(like cannon muffler and many others).
Free flow it is. If they are legal or not, I really don't know. :mrgreen: But as long as you keep the sound down. Smokey won't look at you out of the corner of his eye :? . I took the precaution of installing a resonator. It has two positions. Free flow and lovers. For turbo, don't use the lovers. But to keep the noise down [and Smokey off your rear view mirror] I'm going to use the lovers side, which reduce noise even more. I'm using 2.25 pipes, and 2.5 in the curves. ALL pipes are mandrel bent. :wink:

This is the Magnaflow muffler

If you have problems regarding the resonator lovers. I'll post a pictures on Monday evening so you can see what I mean. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all!

Mensajero: What year Celica do I look for Pace Setter Headers for? I was browsing through the forums and found the post about headers.

I'm not understanding, though, the sensor relocation thing. Promise that you'll post up some pics of the finished work?

I'm also wondering, if I want to install these headers AFTER the exhaust install, will I be able to do that? Or should I get the headers first?

Mohit: Long time, man! I should pop by the Rav4OZ.com every so often! Anyway, yes. I'm planning to straighten out the exhaust system as much as possible to reduce backpressure...and also get that nice throaty sound I like hearing so much....Hey, Kelly. Maybe I have something else to show off for the next meet! :p

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
The year is 86-89 for the 3SFE engine. The relocation of the sensor is very simple. A muffler shop [or you if you have welding equipment] can do this. The 3SFE has two O2 sensors. The first one should be installed on the header. As you can see, the header has an O2 senor inlet for easy bolt one. The second one, its cable must be extended to where it can be weld AFTER the Catalytic Converter. Any muffler shop can do this. You will need an extra O2 sensor socket.

Regarding "Who's on first". Well, that is up to you and your wallet. I've been saving up these parts for about six months. In June, I'll start installing them. I'll even record the sound of the setup and try to post it here. If not, I'll just email it to who ever is interested.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a little update:

I'm getting a custom job done at Portland Muffler Service for roughly $445, which is the average cost of most of the places I went to. As soon as this post is up, I'll be getting the work done.

It's gonna be Magnaflow, pretty much cat-back. All stainless. Nice tip too.

Pics soon to follow...hopefully later tonight. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ryo said:
Just a little update:

I'm getting a custom job done at Portland Muffler Service for roughly $445, which is the average cost of most of the places I went to. As soon as this post is up, I'll be getting the work done.

It's gonna be Magnaflow, pretty much cat-back. All stainless. Nice tip too.

Pics soon to follow...hopefully later tonight. Stay tuned!
whaat!!!?? $445 USD :? I pay for the 2"piping and a sport muffler $138

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep. I had to pay for a Magnaflow Preforated Core Power Pack, Magnaflow Stainless Steel XL Muffler, Magnaflow Tip, and Stainless Steel 2.25" 409 piping...plus installation. Lemme say that the guys who installed my stuff did a very nice job (at least, I think so). I know it's spendy, but I wasn't about to weld everything myself. They were gonna charge me for the hangers that they made, but they took that off for me.

I did take pics of the whole thing, so I'll try to put them up later tonight.

...just don't laugh if it's not as sexy as everyone elses. It sounds great going down the highway with the throttle wide open. It's mellow, not loud and obnoxious as some Honda bolt-ons that are cheap.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here we go...again, please don't laugh for it may not be as sexy as others. I needed to come below a certain amount. :D

Stock exhaust before hacking.

Stock exhaust hacked off. (Geez, that looks hideous)

Magnaflow Preforated Core Power Pack (stock #14460) installed. This is from cat back.

Mock up of the system. That's 2.25" T409 stainless steel used. Muffler is Magnaflow stainless steel XL (stock #13925). I personally didn't want to show off the exhaust too much, so this muffler was opted.

Shot of it before the tip was welded on. Nicely tucked back.

Another shot from behind. This is what people that I pass will see. :p

Magnaflow stainless steel tip (stock #35131). Showy, but not too aggressive looking...and definitly not a coffee can. This was a test fitting before finalizing the project.

Tip welded in. I had it done so that it tips down a little and tucked in so when I open the back door, the tip doesn't peek out. (Plus I aviod burning my shins and calves when loading or unloading stuff from the back). They sprayed some spray on stainless steel paint to cover up the welds and make everything look nice.

Another shot of the final job.

And finally, the undershot of the final job. It looks soo nice. :D

I'd like to thank Rich and his awsome crew at Portland Muffler Service for the great job they did on my Rav4. It never sounded so sweeter than it does now...WAAAAY sweeter! :mrgreen:

Up next, HEADERS!!...or maybe a house, I dunno.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's whatever stock is. They cut the piping from the cat up to where the stock resonator was, and worked from there.

Glad you think it looks good.:D

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Looks good. I'm going the chechos route. Straight foward from front to rear. Mine is a 2WD. wait a minute, something is up, be right back.......................................................................................................................................................OK, mailman just in. The Pace Setter header just came in as I was checking out your exhaust. I have everything I need. Header, O2 sensor, Resonator, Muffler, Tip, Flex pipe. I'll do mine around the 1 to 3 of June :roll: . School ends here.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mensajero said:
Looks good. I'm going the chechos route. Straight foward from front to rear. Mine is a 2WD.
I was opting for straight through, but I just didn't want all the noise associated with it. With the setup I have here, it gives a nice throaty, mellow, but not too aggressive tone, yet still has the performance way above stock.

I'm planning to do the "Parking Garage" test sometime today. See how many car alarms I can set off with my exhaust. :twisted:

mensajero said:
I'll do mine around the 1 to 3 of May. School ends here.
Is it the 1st-3rd of May or June? Can't wait to see your set up! I gotta see how the headers go in with the mods. I'll have to show the guys who did my exhaust how to do it.

A

·
0 Posts
Install looks pretty good, nicely done. So basically you had the stock exhaust pipe cut from where the factory resonator was, out to the tail end. Besides a different exhaust note, any differences in power output, torque, etc. anything noticeable?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haven't had the time to really let it rip wide open. I work late tonight, so I'll try and take the little back road home and test it out.

Doing the old "butt dyno" on the on-ramp, you can notice a little more pull from the engine, so I'm sure that's a good thing....but still, I'll test it out tonight.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts