Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 4cylinder that had to be rebuilt. Upon getting it back I noticed that when looking at the black sound cover over the top of the engine, on the right front there is some kind of grey snap on wire that I no longer have attached it's just gone. Can anyone tell me the significance of this obviously needed part that I no longer have a wire to attach it with?

In the midst of intermittent engine issues, it passed smog fine, however days later it now runs very rough. I have the CEL, 4wd and VSC lights on the engine has a hard time accelerating bogs down shakes stutters and when coast at engine speed lurches with the background display light going less bright to normal in unison with my rough engine idle. I have read lots on here I am taking it in to have the spark plugs, coils, wires and even fuel injectors done but with my luck this catch all OBD code for cylinder 2 misfire will result in another rebuilt engine I am afraid. Don't seem to have much faith. Can anyone help explain what that missing grey connector is and if my direction for fixing the rough engine is on the right track?

Thanks,

Tom R

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
A photo would go a long way as far as identifying the wire/connector. Just throwing parts at it would be expensive and likely cure nothing. Find out what is wrong using a competent shop with the right equipment to diagnose it..

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I have a 2006 4cylinder that had to be rebuilt. Upon getting it back I noticed that when looking at the black sound cover over the top of the engine, on the right front there is some kind of grey snap on wire that I no longer have attached it's just gone. Can anyone tell me the significance of this obviously needed part that I no longer have a wire to attach it with?

In the midst of intermittent engine issues, it passed smog fine, however days later it now runs very rough. I have the CEL, 4wd and VSC lights on the engine has a hard time accelerating bogs down shakes stutters and when coast at engine speed lurches with the background display light going less bright to normal in unison with my rough engine idle. I have read lots on here I am taking it in to have the spark plugs, coils, wires and even fuel injectors done but with my luck this catch all OBD code for cylinder 2 misfire will result in another rebuilt engine I am afraid. Don't seem to have much faith. Can anyone help explain what that missing grey connector is and if my direction for fixing the rough engine is on the right track?

Thanks,

Tom R
Was the engine rebuilt according to the applicable Toyota TSB by a dealer? If so, and this started happening shortly thereafter, perhaps bring it back to them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
not sure if your looking at just a grey connector that goes to this module from pic attached, that item is the ignition noise filter which is common on the B+ side from all coils, that would only cause interference on the radio, if its multi-wire harness with white wires and dark color strips on them that went to a large fork spade connector that the back end of it looked like a ceramic resistor with the connecting wires sort of "fused" to it, then that might be the main wire harness ground to engine block, yes mine got beat up after rebuild and that ceramic resistor coating was cracked, i sealed it up with epoxy to stop it from disintegrating even more and the wires in that harness(multiple white wires w/color stripes)

I do recall there was that self-sealing automotive type wrapping or covering tape around it, maybe only a few inches, i slipped a short piece of wire loom over that exposed section and its been fine since the rebuild. so may be just get a large "forked" spade crimp connector and reattach. Let us know if that is the problem.....i really don't want to disconnect mine to validate your condition.....i hope this info will help you.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes thanks so much that is it. I dont even have one attached and i had noticed that my ability to pull in stations on the radio was diminished, wonder if thats normal or something else may be happening!

I took my car to my local mechanic and sure enough the rough idle i had turned out to be a bad ignition coil on the 2nd cylinder. This is an easy fix so next time I can take care of it no problem, car runs quick now very happy. Just need to figure out more on that grey ignition I'll look at it closer in a few when i get more time. Going to ran for the next 6 days so thats out along with family obligations but will get back to it in a week and see what i can do to fix it.

Everyone on here has been a tremendous huge help, I really appreciate everyone who has chimed in with diagrams, pictures etc, couldn't thank you enough!!!

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
162 Posts
glad you are on your way, thanks for letting us know its resolved. Yes, replacing ignition coils, plugs and even O2, A/F sensors are very easy for a 1st time mechanic, just take your time and the help we get from everybody on this forum really builds your confidence for the DIY. So really thanks to everybody here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts