Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i will install the OEM hood deflector myself this week coz i dont want to pay another extra dollars to be installed at the dealer..my worry is about measuring the right distance of the bump-ons...whats the trick to land on the exact measurement? should i measure it straight with the tape measure or go with the curve of the hood? ..hehe sorry its my first time. I just dont want to mess it up..thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you from Canada? We don't have the factory hood deflector available in the U.S. The Weathertech hood deflector I purchased was a simple install, less than 10 minutes, you use the holes already in the hood, and it looks great. Check it out, it may be what your looking for if the factory one gives you fits.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup im from Canada, i was debating whether to get the weathertech or the OEM's. but i dont have any pictures to see what the weathertech looks like on the rav4, thats why i landed grabbing this OEM ones..i just dont want to mess up with attaching the bump ons. Thanks anyways

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hi Mice, I installed my OEM hood deflector myself 2 years ago so my memory is somewhat hazy but I think I accounted for the curve of the hood. Anyway, it fits well and looks good after 2 years of bugs and stones. A good investment imho.

Good luck,

Joe

·
Registered
846 Posts
How about 3M bra's? We have one on our 11 Accord and so far it's held up nicely though I haven't seen any stone chips anywhere on the hood and we do a bit of highway driving.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just bought a bug deflector from Weather Tech for my 2015 RAV. as well as the front and rear window guards. When I get them, I'll post some photos of the installation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ravster2015 yeah i like to see those window guards i might purchase those next..

already installed the hood deflector its not as easy as i plan it would be lol..but everything sticks and held well. Had test it on freeway :grin:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just bought a bug deflector from Weather Tech for my 2015 RAV. as well as the front and rear window guards. When I get them, I'll post some photos of the installation.
Do you plan to take it through the car wash? I was a little bummed to read that they don't recommend that.

Let me know if you ever do take it through a car wash and how it went.

:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@ravster

Wow it looks nice, specially those window deflectors. how much are those deflectors for windows cost you? is it that hard to install? thanks again mate for posting pics..

·
Registered
314 Posts
@ravster

Wow it looks nice, specially those window deflectors. how much are those deflectors for windows cost you? is it that hard to install? thanks again mate for posting pics..
The 4 window guards cost $99.95 + shipping from Weather Tech. They were easy to install and are very sturdy as is the bug/stone guard on the hood. Both should last a long time. I probably paid a little more for the Weather Tech brand than others, but I like the quality of their products. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Autovent shade just released the aeroskin hood protector( flush fit) for the Rav4 I`m waiting for mine to come in and will post pics when I get it. I have the AVS ventvisors and like the fit on the Rav....

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
I just installed the EGR Superguard on mine yesterday, mounts very stout with 4 screws across the middle and clips on the end, just went thru an automatic carwash today, no problems. :wink FWIW, I checked out the AVS Areoskin, it's a stick on, not for me, if I wanted a stick on, I'd opt for 3m paint protection.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@NBrav
wow i didnt know that deflector exist, oh well already installed mine but kudos i like how it looks also..how does it hold up? 3M stickies?

I have the same rav4 as yours but in black.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@NBrav
wow i didnt know that deflector exist, oh well already installed mine but kudos i like how it looks also..how does it hold up? 3M stickies?

I have the same rav4 as yours but in black.
Yes it's held on with 3m tape once it warmed up this morning I wiped the hood down with alcohol swabs and stuck it on. I have been waiting since June for this so I guess they were just released for sale. I have the AVS stick on vent shades on my 1999 Tacoma, which I bought new, and never had a problem with them coming off.....
You got to love these 50th anniversary models no matter what color....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Installing the Rav 4 2013-2015 Canadian OEM hood deflector

Yup im from Canada, i was debating whether to get the weathertech or the OEM's. but i dont have any pictures to see what the weathertech looks like on the rav4, thats why i landed grabbing this OEM ones..i just dont want to mess up with attaching the bump ons. Thanks anyways
I just installed the OEM deflector on my 2015 Ltd Rav 4 here in Calgary. I talked to the parts guys and they emailed a pdf of installation procedures. I had tried to follow some of the online videos but they were way different than the item I have. I added it here.
The one thing I would do different is to hold off on attaching the 4 peel and stick outer supports until you have the 4 screw-on ones in place. I would then attach them to the deflector itself with tape, then temporarily place the entire deflector on the hood and markout the locations of the sticky ones using the white removable tape strips. Then disassemble them from the deflector and install them on the hood. Probably a 1 1/2 hour job if you are OCD about the location of the bumpers. Also see they are available at AutoPartsWAY.ca for a few bucks less than at Toyota. Maybe they ship to the USA :smile

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
FormFit makes the OEM deflector, it's available in the US as well. FWIW, the one thing I didn't like about the OEM deflector was the bumps that made it hard to clean under, it was a PITA and had to be removed to clean the hood, I like the EGR Superguard much more, much easier to install and remove if necessary, no standoff bumps and it's just as stout if not more so.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/125-4-4-exterior/103313-bug-guard-deflector.html#post2136745

I did it!
I ordered a hood protector/bug guard from http://www.formfithoodprotectors.com/ for about $112 including shipping from Canada to the US. I contacted form fit when I noticed their hood protectors looked exactly the same as the Canadian OEM Toyota one. They confirmed they make the OEM one for Toyota, the only difference is theirs say FormFit on the hood deflector instead of Toyota. Not really a big deal to me. Below are pictures of the hood deflector I just got and installed yesterday. It took a day for them to respond because they only use email. It also took about a week to ship from Canada and all payment was done through paypal. If you have any questions let me know, pictures are below!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts