Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 2016 SE and I am looking for instructions on how to remove the panel and stock subwoofer. I have the Advanced Technology Package which comes with the JBL speakers. I find the mids and highs are fine but the lows are lacking. I would like to remove the stock sub, possibly build something in the same location, add a amp and have some nice boom.

I pretty much did the same thing on my 2010 Mazda3. The stock sub was a joke and had a custom box with an 8 inch sub and it was awesome. Looking to do the same to the Rav4.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
The JBL system already includes an amp. If you really plan to get serious you'll want to start at the other end and figure out what will connect to your head unit and/or existing amp.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I am aware of the stock amp. While I agree that starting at the head unit would be the “proper” way to go, depending on the signal going to the stock sub, I can achieve the same result by tapping into those speaker wires. I would just need a hi/low convertor to turn those high level speaker wires into low level RCA, and then connect to an aftermarket amp. I did the same on my Mazda3 which had a stock sub with a stock bose amp.

Here is a sample of what I did in my Mazda3.

The parts of the amp rack

Stock subwoofer location. Notice the bolt that holds down the sub and the spare tire.

Stock subwoofer removed

Board that bolts up to the stock subwoofer bolts

Amp rack screwed down to that board.

Now the installation of the Arc Audio XXD 2080. I needed something that is smaller enough to fit in the area of the wheel well of the spare tire. The amp is really powerful for such a small footprint. It was actually too much bass and I had to turn it down because the stock bose speakers just couldn't keep up.

Here I cut off the connector that connects to the stock sub. There were 4 wires for Left +/- and Right +/-. I connected those wires to the Hi-Low convertor.

Amp all installed.

Last but not least, the box and sub. I think it makes good use of a somewhat odd well in the side of the trunk area.

Before

After

Still got lots of trunk space left. Don't even know that there's an amp hiding under there.

This setup worked out great. No need to run RCA's from the head unit to the amp. No need to try to by-pass the stock bose amp. I want to try something like this in the Rav4 but I want to build it completely behind the panel where the stock sub is (if there is room). Until I get in there and check it out, I won't know what wires I have to deal with and how much space I have to work with.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I hooked up a sealed 10" that sits behind the rear seat firing toward the rear. It doesn't take up much more room than your old custom mazda one(great job on that BTW). Amp is under the passenger seat. It pounds pretty good. Everything else is stock. This is in the 6 speaker XLE.
I'm not a fan of side firing subs. A sub should always fire toward the hatch to reflect back to the seating positions IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts