Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the tire pressure sensor can be remove from the OEM and mount on the aftermarket rim?

edit: This picture I found it on the web and not taken by me.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
You should be able to switch out the pressure sensors to a after market rims. There are several points that must be noted if you plan to install aftermarket wheels: 1) Make sure that the aftermarket wheel will accommodate the sensor; 2) Retain the special valve stem assembly that comes with the RAV4, and; 3) Don’t use a ‘conventional’ tire demounting machine that uses a shovel type assembly to lift the tire bead over the rim, as such a mechanism will destroy the sensor during the bead lifting process.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Don't different tires have different PSI recommendations?

So unless you are going with a new rim that uses the same size tires as stock and use the same PSI recommendations, won't the sensor need to be adjusted to trigger when the different PSI level threshold is crossed?

Kind of like having to re-adjust the speedo calibration when putting on larger or smaller diameter rims right?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
michael said:
Thanks for the info... not sure it can be fit on the aftermaket . I would like to upgrade from 17" to 18".
If you get the RAV4 sport's 18" rim, they will definitely fit or you can try call tire rack. They have pretty good customer support and they may be able to tell you which rims will fit the RAV4's TPMS.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I use to like Tire Rack too. But, they have NOTHING at all what so ever for the 06 Rav4. No tires. No wheels. I e-mailed their customer service about after market wheels and tires for the Rav4. They said thanks for your inquiry. (call back in a year or so) I'm still looking for some nice wheels and tires for my Rav.

·
Registered
880 Posts
inlets said:
I use to like Tire Rack too. But, they have NOTHING at all what so ever for the 06 RAV4. No tires. No wheels. I e-mailed their customer service about after market wheels and tires for the RAV4. They said thanks for your inquiry. (call back in a year or so) I'm still looking for some nice wheels and tires for my RAV.
Unless the 06 uses the same wheel as some previous vehicle, I wouldn't expect there to be too much selection out there just yet in the aftermarket vendors. Most people don't go looking for new rims a couple months after the vehicle came out.

S

·
0 Posts
inlets said:
I use to like Tire Rack too. But, they have NOTHING at all what so ever for the 06 RAV4. No tires. No wheels. I e-mailed their customer service about after market wheels and tires for the RAV4. They said thanks for your inquiry. (call back in a year or so) I'm still looking for some nice wheels and tires for my RAV.
I just went on tirerack.com and was able to select my rav sport and even change the color to super white and look at wheels. I do not know who you spoke to but you might want to check it out again

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I also saw it on the tire rack, 8 ~ 9 brands aftermarket rim can be fit on the 06 Rav, the one I will pick is the OZ rim.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I just saw them too, pretty decent too. This is new w/i the last week or so. Someone actually read the mail!! I didn't see any Michellin or Pierilli tires though. What about those Geolanders (oe) on the after market wheels. Anyone have any comments about putting the 18 inch wheels/tiires on my Rav4 V6. The stock wheels are 17 inch. Anything special I have to do, besides bolt them on? Thanks.

·
Registered
771 Posts
vigil said:
Don't different tires have different PSI recommendations?

So unless you are going with a new rim that uses the same size tires as stock and use the same PSI recommendations, won't the sensor need to be adjusted to trigger when the different PSI level threshold is crossed?

Kind of like having to re-adjust the speedo calibration when putting on larger or smaller diameter rims right?
Your right!! This system is an "Active System" which requires it to be recalibrated when you rotate your tires and if you put on larger tires that require different air presure.

You should stick with the recomended Air Presure posted on the door post of the vehicle but there is a calculation for using different size tires that must be followed to maintain the "load index" required for the vehicle. Not following recomendations can lead to serious injury or even death. Not something to disregard.

Questions, feel free.

Later. M.

S

·
0 Posts
I had a 2004 Solara and rotated the tires every 5000 miles and never had to reclibrate the sensor. That makes no sense at all.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
also when one has too much pressure too. I found this out as mine did it .. My spare was pumped to 45 psi and the alarm was going off.

The G Man said:
No theres no re-calibration, the TPMS alarms when 1 of the goes below 28 PSI, and thats it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
flyingn said:
how do you have to recalibrate when you rotate? Its the same 5 tires. It detects a low or high pressure on one of the tires.. It does not matter where the tires are..
This must be a "low tech" system that is one up from the ABS air-presure system. A true active system like PAX will have separate readings for each wheel. Recalibrating this system tells the computer which location the wheel is in. Mostly found on run-flat tire set-ups and high-end luxury.

Sorry guys, carry-on as if you were normal. The system in the 06 RAV is one I haven't had alot of dealings with.

One thing I will add that will save you grief is:When having your tires removed from the wheels at anytime...tell the tech doing the work that it is equipt with presure sensors in each wheel. These can be damaged easily, so special precaution has to be taken.

Later. M.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
yea pretty much.. which is more then Im used to ..

inlets said:
Doesn't the system tell which tire is low like w/ some sort of dash read out? Like LF, RF, LR ,RR it can't just state low tire pressure and you're suppose to guess. which one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts